Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite fusion guitarist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Who is your favourite fusion guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.15%]
9 [9.68%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
5 [5.38%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [19.35%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [20.43%]
15 [16.13%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 05:56
Holdsworth is technically brilliant and innovative, but his guitar sound is sterile and his music is not pleasant to listen to.
Akkerman is great and so is McLaughlin, but my vote goes to di Meola, who combines technical skill, a great tone and musicality in a way none of the others can match.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 06:32
^Everyone hears differently but I love Holdswoth's tone and his compositions. I still listen to his music on a regular basis. DiMeola is great but I haven't listened to any of solo records in years.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 07:09
Too many great ones to choose from. Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Jan Akkerman, Allan Holsdworth, etc. I could vote for all of them. I would add Jeff Beck to the list.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 08:57
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Everyone hears differently but I love Holdswoth's tone and his compositions. I still listen to his music on a regular basis. DiMeola is great but I haven't listened to any of solo records in years.

Basically, if you come from more of a ROCK background and prefer stuff to be melodic, you will like DiMeola more.  He has the best tone of the big four of fusion (McLaughlin-ADM-Metheny-Holdsworth) and the sweetest melody too, pretty Santana-like but with a lot more shred.  But if you like jazz, you will appreciate the adventurism of Holdsworth much more.  I recently did a re-listen of ADM and found it fairly predictable going after a while.  I NEVER get that from Holdsworth.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 10:08
I love so many of these guitar gods but John McLaughlin took it to the level that i love the best and Mahavishnu Orch is stil one of the creative pinnacles of the jazz-fusion world so gotta go for Sri Mac

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Controversial maybe but John Petrucci for the 2 Liquid Tension Experiment albums. I believe these are wrongly designated as Progressive Metal (understandably because its basically Dream Theater without LaBrie but with Tony Levin) . They are both fusion style albums to my ears so I will stick with that.

Steve Morse could be on here too for his work with the Dixie Dregs. Another one might be Ed Wynne from Ozric Tentacles. Also, even though I'm not that familiar with him Shawn Lane.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Holdsworth is technically brilliant and innovative, but his guitar sound is sterile and his music is not pleasant to listen to.

His music is not pleasant to listen to until you've had your fill of everyone else.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 13:30
Pat Metheny (awesome) and Al Di Meola.  I do think Paco De Lucia should be mentioned - he did great fusion work with John McLaughlin and Di Meola  - this is fusion - not jazz rock. Frank Zappa was a quite good fusion guitarist. His Hot Rats helped the fusion sub sub sub genre very much.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

I do think Paco De Lucia should be mentioned - he did great fusion work with John McLaughlin and Di Meola  - this is fusion - not jazz rock.
I didn't include him because I think of him more as a Flamenco guitarist.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:13
Holdsy 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:22

Pat Metheny (awesome) and Al Di Meola.  I do think Paco De Lucia should be mentioned - he did great fusion work with John McLaughlin and Di Meola  - this is fusion - not jazz rock. Frank Zappa was a quite good fusion guitarist. His Hot Rats helped the fusion sub sub sub genre very much.

Paco de Lucia was on a different level to any guitarist I've seen. The Friday Night in San Francisco album is just breathtaking. Whilst Di Meola and McLaughlin play brilliantly, the effortless genius of de Lucia steals the show. whether you'd class him as a fusion guitarist, I don't know, but he was incomparable as a flamenco player.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 17:00
John McLaughlin followed by Frank Gambale
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 18:00
Holdsworth but only when he's playing as a side man, I'm not a fan of his solo stuff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 22:21
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I do think Paco De Lucia should be mentioned - he did great fusion work with John McLaughlin and Di Meola  - this is fusion - not jazz rock.
I was thinking of Paco as well but mostly as a joke since he was part of the Guitar Trio. I would put him up with anyone listed here. My vote went to John McLaughlin, probably the boldest of the bunch and certainly extremely versatile.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 23:22
I voted for John Goodsall, but it is hard to beat John McLaughlin as a choice as well! 

One upcoming talent in the USA is Fareed Haque, check out his performance of Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Dance of Maya" with the California Guitar Trio.  He turns on the 6 string afterburners at 2:38! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 00:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Controversial maybe but John Petrucci for the 2 Liquid Tension Experiment albums. I believe these are wrongly designated as Progressive Metal (understandably because its basically Dream Theater without LaBrie but with Tony Levin) . They are both fusion style albums to my ears so I will stick with that.

Steve Morse could be on here too for his work with the Dixie Dregs. Another one might be Ed Wynne from Ozric Tentacles. Also, even though I'm not that familiar with him Shawn Lane.

The Dixie Dregs is not a band I've paid any attention to and didn't even realise Morse was in the band! I like his solo stuff although I realise its not fusion .
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:34
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I do think Paco De Lucia should
be mentioned - he did great fusion work with John McLaughlin and Di
Meola  - this is fusion - not jazz rock.

I was thinking of Paco as well but mostly as a joke since he was part of the Guitar Trio. I would put him up with anyone listed here. My vote went to John McLaughlin, probably the boldest of the bunch and certainly extremely versatile.

Heh, Paco was the first guy I thought of as well..even though I don’t think of him as a fusion player per se, but sure pop on a specific night in San Fran and there he is outplaying the very best from the jazz quarters (in my opinion;).
The man was a one-off. Truly. I’ve never heard anyone play an acoustic guitar with the same level of skill, innovation and sheer emotive power.
...but I have to be in the mood for his music...and then I throw on Entre Dos Aguas and just sit back and revel in the onslaught of guitar sounds that just as well could’ve been spawned by a Jimi Hendrix that went the flamenco route.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 08:07
Is it allowed to say Frank Zappa Big smile
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 19:03
Apparently, I'm not allowed to vote in the poll, but I am able to voice an opinion.
I'd have to vote for the Maestro; Allan Holdsworth.
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 19:08
^ You just need to post a few more times, I think.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>