Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite fusion guitarist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Who is your favourite fusion guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.15%]
9 [9.68%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
5 [5.38%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [19.35%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [20.43%]
15 [16.13%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite fusion guitarist
    Posted: January 14 2020 at 05:33
Who is your favourite fusion guitarist? I threw in a few names that are usually considered to be completely on the jazz side, like Emily Remler or Ralph Towner, but I wanted their names in there because they are among my favourite guitarists. Feel free to comment. Multiple choices allowed.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:02
Alan Holdsworth in the first row, mainly due to his fantastic appearance on 'Bundles'
also John McLaughlin and Larry Coryell
I'm missing Gary Boyle here, great list nevertheless

Edited by Rivertree - January 14 2020 at 06:02

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:21
Cool poll. Holdsworth will never be equaled, he was groundbreaking and innovative. 

Holdsworth>Metheny>DiMeola>McLaughlin>Gambale>Scofield>Goodsall

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 14 2020 at 06:47
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:32
Really haven´t heard all of these, but anyway I chose other who is Jukka Tolonen. Fusion is not my biggest fav music, but listened it a little. McLaughlin of course great specially in the calmer pieces.

Edited by Mortte - January 14 2020 at 06:33
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 06:37
Don't know some, love a number of them, but vote for Jan Akkerman only, as this was the one here whose name immediately jumped at me making me think I'd love to hear him playing now.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 07:37
My picks are Emily Remler and Volker Kriegel. An example each:

Emily Remler:

Volker Kriegel:

This is not your run-of-the-mill fusion guitar work with 10000 notes per second, though some of that firework is going off in these examples too. But there is a lot more.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 07:49
So many great ones on the list. Most have such individual styles that they could be number one to me on any given day/mood. So I went with 'other' to throw some other favorites into the mix.

Terje Rypdal
Alex Machacek
Jan Zehrfeld (Panzerballett)
David Fiuczynski (Hiromi's Sonicbloom, Screaming Headless Torsos)
Marton Kertesz (Special Providence)
Kristo Roots (Phlox)
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 07:55
I wanted to have some women in the poll because female instrumentalists are definitely underrepresented in jazz, fusion and rock. So a few men had to be "sacrificed".

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 10:39
I probably "like" the music, sound, and melodies of Pat Metheny best, but I would never ever turn down a chance to see or hear the amazing John McLaughlin. His output in the 1960s with Tony & Miles, his 1970s solo, with all versions of Mahavishnu or Shakti, the 1980s in several forms and styles (the Paco/Al acoustic "super" trio, Belo Horizonte, his work with the Labeque sisters, his classically-oriented "Mediterranean Suite," the amazing Round Midnight soundtrack, his trio with Pino Pallodino & Trilock Gurtu, all remain among my favorite albums from that decade), the 1990s with his gorgeous acoustic guitar tribute to Bill Evans, Time Remembered, and the release of Trio of Doom LP with Jaco & Tony in Havana, even his stuff from the 2000s like Industrial Zen and Floating Point have been highly satisfying. 

John McLaughlin is, in my humble opinion, the most versatile, enigmatic, adventurous, virtuosic, and successful artist I know in that he has contributed to the creation of so many top notch albums over such a wide swath of styles and eras over his 60 year career. No one else even comes close! (No, not even Tony Levin!)     
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 10:45
Nice list. I when with Holdsworth .
Steve Morse is another name that comes to mind. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:36
Holdsworth all the way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 11:54
Nice to see Emily Remler(who died way too soon) on here but where is Terje Rypdal? Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 14 2020 at 17:08
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 16:40
Of those I've seen live:

1. Al Di Meola
2. John McLaughlin
3. Larry Coryell
4. Pat Metheny
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 16:45
Goodsall, DiMeola, Abercrombie, Holdsworth, McLaughlin, Connors
PROGMATIC
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 17:20
err hello, Phil Lee from Gilgamesh
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 22:58
Other: Frank Zappa, although wanting to work with the list as given, the actual vote I placed was for Jan Akkerman. I like Holdsworth a whole lot and he is the most skilled, but something about his legato technique seems a little aloof to me in the end. He also uses a lot of scales, but I never get the exotic feeling from him that the scales he uses ought to contribute. Like most musicians unable to escape the tether of traditional Jazz, it becomes more about the feeling and mood of the chords than the scale - unfortunately.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 23:36
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Cool poll. Holdsworth will never be equaled, he was groundbreaking and innovative. 

Holdsworth>Metheny>DiMeola>McLaughlin>Gambale>Scofield>Goodsall

This, so much. Though I do love McLaughlin, ADM, Metheny and yes, Emily Remler too. Also names that came up later like Shawn Lane or Scott Henderson. It's tough to draw lines and compare titans. Still, Holdsworth was just so unique.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 23:39
Abercrombie for his artistry, though Larry Coryell was the best I've ever seen live and Holdsworth is of course on another level.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 00:30
Controversial maybe but John Petrucci for the 2 Liquid Tension Experiment albums. I believe these are wrongly designated as Progressive Metal (understandably because its basically Dream Theater without LaBrie but with Tony Levin) . They are both fusion style albums to my ears so I will stick with that.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 02:02
Holdsworth has a horrible electric guitar sound. McLaughlins electric guitar sound is a mess
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>