Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog albums with fantastic vocal arrangements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Don't forget the most essential example!

That video makes it seem as though Tony did all the vocal parts. I always thought it was all four of them. 

Nah, Tony did all the parts even in the original version, hence why they all have American accents Tongue

Edited by Mirakaze - January 15 2020 at 14:49
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:55

Don't forget the most essential example!

That video makes it seem as though Tony did all the vocal parts. I always thought it was all four of them. 

Nah, Tony did all the parts even in the original version, hence why they all have American accents Tongue

Weird how he didn't do any singing in King Crimson though. I'm guessing Tony did all the backup vocals on the barber shopesque "excuse me" from Peter Gabriel's first album too even though he's credited as being the "leader" of the barbershop quartet. Yeah, leader and everything else. Lol. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 15 2020 at 14:56
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:53

we have heaven/southside of the sky

Also, MDK by Magma. Heck probably a lot of Magma.

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Magma has already been mentioned, so I'll second that if you're looking for a great vocal performance, then you really need to listen to Magma.

Another group with interesting vocals is Lost Crowns.

I gave Magma MDK a listen. Thanks for the recommendations, not really what I am looking for though. I'm not looking for Operatic, gregorian chanting styled vocals like Sweeney Todd or Magma. I am looking for beautiful pop styled vocal harmonies that are common in 60s and 70s pop, but also found its way into some prog bands.

Edited by hugo1995 - January 15 2020 at 15:53
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 18:53
Greatest vocal arrangements on any album is OoOoOoOoO (Chenile) - and their album Samen. HOLY HELL.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 19:24
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Magma has already been mentioned, so I'll second that if you're looking for a great vocal performance, then you really need to listen to Magma.

Another group with interesting vocals is Lost Crowns.

Only after I mentioned Magma he updated that first post to say he wasn't looking for that. Initially they weren't mentioned until I mentioned them. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 15 2020 at 19:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 19:27
 beautiful pop styled vocal harmonies that are common in 60s and 70s pop, but also found its way into some prog bands.

Then definitely try Moon Safari(who I believe have already been mentioned). However, I second that recommendation. They have very sunny upbeat multi part vocal harmonies.
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 15:04
I did listen to Magma. It's the type of prog I would enjoy when I feel like that type of adventurous music. But right now I feel like Moon Safari. Thank you friend,
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:40
Big fan of the vocal harmonies employed by the Neal Morse Band. Spock's Beard tried their hand at Gentle Giant styled vocals a few times but the voices of Neal Morse, Bill Hubauer, Eric Gillette and (gasp!) Mike Portnoy are a joy to behold...

Moon Safari is an obvious choice but I don't connect with the songs as much (except on the amazing Blomljud album...)

And Yes did, in fact, nail it on several occasions - not least the middle section of "Starship Trooper."
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:08
Perhaps not quite what you're looking for but for me this song and album by Maxophone fits with the "fantastic vocal arrangements" part:

I'm a huge fan of this band/record and I think if they had had one or two albums like this, for me they definitely would be part of the 'Big N' club.

In fact, after Big N (8 in my case) albums comes this one for me!  (…along with the otherwise not very popular PFM's Chocolate Kings Wink).

Edited by Machinemessiah - January 17 2020 at 12:14
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:14
This thread obviously needs some Vodka Cola
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_AHlVwqYSE
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 12:21
^  Didn't know it!   Clap   liked it instantly!   Handshake
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 13:55
My pleasure
I love that track! Demetrio did Doo-Wop like no other.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 15:39
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:50
Hi,

CAPABILITY BROWN -- Voice

Specially the long piece ... totally awesome!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 13:15
This is one of my favorites for choral voice arrangements (1:37 onwards)

Edited by cstack3 - January 19 2020 at 12:28
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 18:19
An obvious one is A Night At The Opera. Three different singers with lead vocals on separate songs, and wonderful Queenly backing vocals throughout. Even a fairly straightforward folk song like '39 features some great vocals/backing vocals....

Queen II is another.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 21:54
pingkrimfloyd58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingkrimfloyd58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 15:15
Check out “Hours of Wealth” by Opeth. If you’re not into metal screaming you may not like the rest of the album though haha.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 15:24
Peter Hammill - The Fall of the House of Usher. Example:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12