Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rush appreciation thread
    Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:00
Since we are all going to talk about Rush anyway why not have a special thread for it(like TFK in the past). Here we can talk about Rush and listen to their great music. I guess it's a sad time to be a Rush fan so let's all support each other in this difficult time.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:08
Been a fan since 1975. Fist album I heard by them was "Caress of Steel". Saw them several times live and saw their last tour. Killer musicians, great songs, and they could play it live to sound as good or better than the studio version... with some help.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:18
A dude I was flipping burgers with at mcdo (age 15) lended me his MP through ASOH cds for a month...quite repulsive at first hearing (that voice), I persevered until HYF started to click...huge fan since then.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 14:26
Yeah, I first bought signals on cassette tape probably in late 1982 after hearing "subdivisions" on the radio. My brother had some albums on vinyl about maybe almost a year before that(2112 and Exit Stage Left)but I didn't really think much of them and to be honest I don't remember him or me playing those records at all. It was almost as if he bought them just to seem cool(he was way more into comic books than music at the time anyway). Then a few years later(late 84 into 85)my brother found out his best friend(another comic book guy)was into Rush and tried to hypnotize my brother to a Rush poster. After he mentioned him liking Rush that sort of resparked my interest in them and I borrowed his tapes until I finally got my own. I remember listening to his cassette version of Power Windows(and later Hold Your Fire)when they were new. It was around that time I started to get big into prog in general and Rush became a part of that after I noticed some similarities. I eventually saw Rush four times, have the red biography book, a t shirt(from the last tour)and a tour program(also from the last tour)as well as the Beyond the lighted stage docomentary. I'm sure there are way bigger fans than me but I still consider myself to be a pretty big fan.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:12
Rush was a staple for me growing up in the 80s in Northern Cal, the one band equally loved by proggers & metalheads and respected by almost everyone it seemed.   Intelligent lyrics, digestible but complex compositions, sophisticated themes, and undeniable musicianship.   Started as a youngin' on Hemispheres and immediately heard the magic.   Later graduated to PW, MP and Sig.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:28
Rush has been my #1 band for the past million years. I got into them around 77-78 and it has been non stop ever since.
Saw them in 78-79 first time......College, marriage, kids, caused a break in live shows thru late 80s early 90s, only saw the Presto tour with my wife (marrying me she became a Rush fan, and a huge Peart fan). We saw every tour in the 2000s to the last one, R40 Tour. Saw Time Machine tour twice in Seattle and San Francisco in 1 week span.
Our kids saw the last 3-4 shows in Seattle so it became a family affair to see a Rush show.

According to my Discogs collection account I have 43 Rush entries of LPs, CDs, VHS, DVDs.....And I have not loaded all my cassettes and some 8-tracks I have also. Plus I have books, tour programs and numerous tour shirts. Clearly Rush has been a massive part of my musical life, that will never change.

All eras of Rush are excellent, that has nothing to do with being a fanatic but a lover of great music and the brilliance of change.

Somewhere on this site many years ago I remember mentioning the day that Rush retire was going to be a tough, tough day to swallow. They are literally the last band to be able to put on live shows like they did with such grand presence and production, at least within this genre...there is nobody left that can do that....
Retiring from touring was tough although something kept telling me at least maybe we will still get new music but no huge tours, maybe a few shows here and there....I kept a candle burning.
In interviews (recent) Geddy has mentioned that there is no unreleased Rush music in a vault somewhere...

Losing Neil Peart was simply massive, 10 yrs from now I understand it but still he was only 67......Last week I read the announcement over and over and over just to make sure....The Professor is gone.

"....though its just a memory, some memories last forever..." (Lakeside Park)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:48
^ I had the "though it's just a memory...." lyric as my sig briefly but then changed it to the one I have now(I'm sure you know but for those who don't it's from the last section of the Hemispheres title track(cygnus x1 book2).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^ I had the "though it's just a memory...." lyric as my sig briefly but then changed it to the one I have now(I'm sure you know but for those who don't it's from the last section of the Hemispheres title track(cygnus x1 book2).

I know it well......I'm on my 3rd vinyl copy of Hemispheres. My original is packed away.....

Great pic of the band during the Rush debut album tour, Agora Ballroom 1974.

Rush Debut Album Tour Pictures - Agora Ballroom - Columbus, Ohio 09/25/1974
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 15:54
Related image
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 16:02
Wow, first tour with Neil. 

I thought I heard somewhere that their first show with Neil was opening for Manfred Mann and Uriah Heep. Is that correct or was that a bit later(maybe on FBN tour)?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 16:05
Nevermind, I just saw on wikipedia that that was the case. Can you imagine joining a band then just two weeks later playing in front of 11,000 people? Wow. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 16:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Nevermind, I just saw on wikipedia that that was the case. Can you imagine joining a band then just two weeks later playing in front of 11,000 people? Wow. 

Yup, Neil joined and had to learn the songs within 2-3 weeks of going on the road. My daughter gave me the Wandering the Face Of the Earth Complete Tour book for Christmas. It's filled with great backstage info and commentary about pretty much every show they did from start to finish.
Even have listed dates they were suppose to play but either could not be confirmed by band or label or venue, because they can't remember that far back....It's cra-cra.

It clearly details how they built a touring empire from nothing but dirt and sweat. Also the roadies that stuck with them for so long....excellent book.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 18:00
Great pix, Catcher! Clap

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

All eras of Rush are excellent, that has nothing to do with being a fanatic but a lover of great music and the brilliance of change.

That's right.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 18:14

Related image

A must-have for any self-respecting Rush fanatic

Playing songs from their first album, two early versions cuts from 'Fly by Night' and two rare never released compositions, 'Fancy Dancer' and 'Garden Road'. Excellent sound quality and thundering performance...garantee to put a huge smile on your granny's face.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 18:51
^ Bad Boy is on there also and that too was never previously released.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 19:00
Not a Rush song though. It's a cover of a Larry Williams song.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 19:13
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Not a Rush song though. It's a cover of a Larry Williams song.

It's a never before released song by Rush though. You didn't say "no covers allowed." Wink In case you forgot they did a whole album of covers called "feedback."
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 20:53
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Related image

A must-have for any self-respecting Rush fanatic

Playing songs from their first album, two early versions cuts from 'Fly by Night' and two rare never released compositions, 'Fancy Dancer' and 'Garden Road'. Excellent sound quality and thundering performance...garantee to put a huge smile on your granny's face.

No Rush fan should be without it......Your right, here's mine!

Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 21:06
And yea this is one of the best cover albums issued by anyone in the rock and for sure progressive rock genre....All the songs are done so elegantly with a high respect to the original artists/songs. My only complaint is it is not long enough.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 21:20
This was sent to me......I've seen the pic before but did not know the back story. Neil was a man of great respect for those that came/started before him, even the 4/4 master he had respect for.

Neil Peart met Charlie Watts just before going on stage at the SARS benefit show in Toronto (July 30, 2003.) This is how Neil Peart described it:

A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn't hear. Thinking "Now who's THIS?" I took out one of my ear monitors and said "Sorry, I couldn't hear you."
He spoke again, smiling, "Hello, I'm Charlie Watts."
"Oh!" I said, taken aback, "Hello." And I shook his hand.
He asked if we were going on soon, and I said yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, "I'm going to watch you!"
I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on The T.A.M.I Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie's beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.

Geddy e-mailed me later and mentioned that scene:
"BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of... a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh for god's sake it's Charlie Watts!"

[​IMG]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>