Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 22:21

Did Rush ever play this live?

Edited by rushfan4 - January 17 2020 at 22:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 11:06
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Did Rush ever play this live?

They did Scott, early in career........here are pics from the tour history book that just came out, my daughter gave it to me for Christmas, excellent book! This was on the CoS tour.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 18 2020 at 11:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 12:33
C10, is that book loaded with ads for the shows?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 12:40
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

C10, is that book loaded with ads for the shows?

Yes.....I am at the 2112 period right now. Up to that point there are many pics of posters and tickets from various shows.
I don't recall a tour book that is more comprehensive than this one, with notes on many of the dates.....the early shows and comments are really interesting read.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 13:30
Sonuva...I'll have to check it. I hope the damage$ aren't too extreme.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 15:01

Sonuva...I'll have to check it. I hope the damage$ aren't too extreme.

Nah....My daughter got it off the Rush website but I think they are out now.........I've seen it on Amazon.
Polo's Lair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo's Lair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 16:52
I feel like I grew up with Rush, Buying all their albums, keeping up with their news etc... I feel that I more than appreciate them, but feel like they are close friends or relatives. I'm sure many feel the same. So when something happens to someone that is a close friend or relative, it affects you in a way that is hard to explain.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 17:05
So when did Rush start to headline shows and stop becoming a support act? Also, does anyone know if any Rush songs were played regularly on the radio(or at all for that matter)before the Permanent Waves album?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:32
Really hard to find strict information about support act from internet, but what I remembered from their book, it was quite soon after 2112 become commercial success. Naturally there were then support acts for them.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 15:10
It has taken me years for the 'penny' to drop with me and Rush. 

I had a friend at University who was a fanatic. I got 2112 and struggled with it initially. He had told me that as I as was a fan of Yes, Crimson and classic Rock (Sabbath, Purple and Zeppelin) that I would love them - but I just didn't. Then I gave Hemispheres a go and that did strike a chord - I loved it. But still I as I listened to more, I didn't love them like I did Yes, Floyd, Genesis etc.

Then fast forward to the news of Neil's passing and they have all of a sudden theu make complete and utter sense. I cannot work out work out what has happened in order for me to suddenly love them - but I do. I am so frustrated it has taken nearly 30 years and as such I missed the chance to see them live. But I guess, better late than never!

My current faves;

Hemishpeheres, 
A farewell to Kings
Waves
Pictures

Looking forward to getting to hear the rest of their albums. 

Edited by Ruby900 - January 19 2020 at 15:11
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 16:11
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So when did Rush start to headline shows and stop becoming a support act? Also, does anyone know if any Rush songs were played regularly on the radio(or at all for that matter)before the Permanent Waves album?

It depends what you mean by "headline shows". There are dates before the release of Rush debut where they played venues as the only act. Sure a lot of them were HS gyms and church basements, but all bands started this way.
I remember hearing Working Man but not knowing who the band was, and later on realizing it was Rush. Anthem and Fly By Night I also remembering hearing on KMET 94.7FM "The Mighty Met", in Los Angeles, KMET was a pioneer of playing progressive rock in LA, that's where I first heard Genesis also....This was around '76 I remember, that's about the time I started getting into Rush.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 19 2020 at 16:12
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 17:32
^KMET 94.7! I didn't know you were from SoCal!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 18:30
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It depends what you mean by "headline shows". There are dates before the release of Rush debut where they played venues as the only act. Sure a lot of them were HS gyms and church basements, but all bands started this way.
I remember hearing Working Man but not knowing who the band was, and later on realizing it was Rush. Anthem and Fly By Night I also remembering hearing on KMET 94.7FM "The Mighty Met", in Los Angeles, KMET was a pioneer of playing progressive rock in LA, that's where I first heard Genesis also....This was around '76 I remember, that's about the time I started getting into Rush.

I was referring to headline shows as in a larger crowd(say over 200)not counting bars or small clubs and where they would have someone supporting them as opposed to the other way around. 

As for hearing fly by night and anthem did you hear them before or after 2112 was released? Just wondering. I remember reading in a rush biography(the red book if you remember that one)where the guy said they struggled to get on the radio in the early days.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 19:07
^I remember that "red" book. It's called Rush: Visions.

Rush indeed got off to a rocky start. Things changed when one day a deejay flipped the record and played the B-side, called "Working Man."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 20:18

Rush indeed got off to a rocky start. Things changed when one day a deejay flipped the record and played the B-side, called "Working Man."

Yeah, that's the one. It was written by "the B Man" who apparently later had a falling out with the band unfortunately. 

Actually there was no record flipping involved. No, the story I heard was that Donna Halper who was the dj(and music director) at a rock station in Cleveland caled wmms was looking for a "bathroom song" and came across "working man" which was the longest track on the album. She played it and knew it would go down well in Cleveland which was very working class. This was documented in the Beyond the lighted stage dvd. Historically some djs have been known to flip records and have the b side become a "hit" but that wasn't the case here. While there were two singles released from that first album neither of those singles had "working man" as a b side so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Like I said it was an album track that was chosen as a bathroom break song because of it's length. Then people started calling in asking about the new Led Zeppelin song! Lol. Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 21 2020 at 20:29
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 20:28
I still don't know how Peart had just two hands.

Or two feet.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 16:33

Yeah, that's the one. It was written by "the B Man" who apparently later had a falling out with the band unfortunately. 

Actually there was no record flipping involved. No, the story I heard was that Donna Halper who was the dj(and music director) at a rock station in Cleveland caled wmms was looking for a "bathroom song" and came across "working man" which was the longest track on the album. She played it and knew it would go down well in Cleveland which was very working class. This was documented in the Beyond the lighted stage dvd. Historically some djs have been known to flip records and have the b side become a "hit" but that wasn't the case here. While there were two singles released from that first album neither of those singles had "working man" as a b side so I'm not sure what you are referring to. Like I said it was an album track that was chosen as a bathroom break song because of it's length. Then people started calling in asking about the new Led Zeppelin song! Lol. Tongue

You are correct. But that is the song that got played, and it led to Rush getting a lot of airplay in that market as a result. Clap
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 09:14

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I was referring to headline shows as in a larger crowd(say over 200)not counting bars or small clubs and where they would have someone supporting them as opposed to the other way around. 

As for hearing fly by night and anthem did you hear them before or after 2112 was released? Just wondering. I remember reading in a rush biography(the red book if you remember that one)where the guy said they struggled to get on the radio in the early days.
There are many dates where they headlined before 2112, in small venues of 200+. Once 2112 and ATWAS were released they began more headline shows. The larger attendance shows were still as a support act with bands like Ted Nugent, BOC, Kiss and Aerosmith anywhere from 2k-18k seat venues. For the most part in those shows that usually included 3 acts, they were the support not the opening act and played an hour to 1.5 hr sets. Also understand at this time was their first trip outside NA, where they played Hammersmith Odeon as headliner.
What is super interesting to read are some of the reviews that basically slam the band as not being very good, being tooooooo loud but the common theme of Neil being the highlight of the band talent wise. And how when they toured the Maritimes they mentioned not wanting to go back because the crowds basically suxed there.

2112 came out in '76 and that is when I got into Rush, its tough to remember. My thought is I heard Anthem and Fly By Night before the Bicentennial year, which I remember that time vividly and again Working Man too but not knowing it was Rush.

Edited by Catcher10 - January 24 2020 at 09:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 19:40
So lot's of mixed signals about whether or not they were played on the radio before 1980(or at least how much). I guess maybe it depends on where you lived? Not sure but check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3IBhYGohQ

Edit: Ok, I see they were referring to Canada which is kind of strange considering they were from Canada. I wouldn't expect them to have less airplay in their home country than in the US but I guess that's how it was.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 24 2020 at 19:52
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 19:55
I am here to appreciate RUSH

Edited by siLLy puPPy - January 24 2020 at 19:57

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 28>