Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underrated prog from 71 to 75

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underrated prog from 71 to 75
    Posted: February 01 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by pawnofthedaed pawnofthedaed wrote:

Horslips sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion! I only listened to Tain, which seemed best regarded on the site. What's your suggestion for their best?

OK, here are my Horslips album ratings. But the best way to appreciate them is to chronologically listen to all of their albums
1972: Happy To Meet, Sorry to Part (Prog) 4 stars
1973: The Táin (Prog) 5 stars
1974: Dancehall Sweethearts (Not Prog; Pop Rock) 4.5 stars
1975: The Unfortunate Cup Of Tea (Progish) 2.5 stars
1975: Drive The Cold Winter Away (Pure Folk Xmas album) 4.5 stars
1976: Live (A Must Have) 5 stars
1976: Book Of Invasions (Prog) 5 stars
1977: Aliens (Rock; with hints of Prog) 4 stars
1978: The Man Who Built America (New Wave Rock) 4 stars
1979: Short Stories/ Tall Tales (New Wave Rock) 3 stars
1980: The Belfast Gigs (All of the Above) 3 stars
2004: Roll Back (Acoustic reinterpretations of old tracks) 4 stars

There are a few "Best Of" Releases"...the latest one released in 2010s is probably the best.

As you can see; I am a Horslips appreciator!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 23:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, here are some of my big favorites from that period:
Tasavallan Presidentti: Lambert Land
Pekka Pohjola: Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva & Harakka Bialoipokku

Kevin Ayers: the Confessions Of Dr. Dream and Other Stories

Family: Fearless
Roy Harper: Stormcock & Lifemask

Nice chunk ... and in my book, just about anything from Roy Harper in that period is excellent, as is the FAMILY stuff, although by the end of that time period they were STREETWALKERS and the material was more rock'n'roll oriented, but it was magnificent with outstanding guitar work (the trademark of Family and all of their material and Chappo's solos).

Kevin has always been a favorite of mine, and it could be said that this particular period was really good in all of the albums, however, KA was just fine at any other time.

Pekka is someone I bought his stuff when I saw him play in Mike Oldfield's Exposed ... and his albums are very enjoyable to my ears ...

Not yet listened any Streetwalkers-albums, although knowing about them. Have to this weekend! Kevin´s albums from Toy to Confessions are my big favorites (also every Roy album I have managed to hear, he´s later output is not in spotify or youtube), but one to start might be Confession or Toy. Just watched Pekka playing in that Exposed DVD! Pekka has been my idol from the eighties, I am glad I saw him three times in the nineties!

Edited by Mortte - January 31 2020 at 23:09
pawnofthedaed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 22:20
Horslips sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion! I only listened to Tain, which seemed best regarded on the site. What's your suggestion for their best?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 22:18
Agreed about Frumpy! Heard em a couple years ago and surprised they aren't more well known!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 09:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Yep I second that Carmen rec. Both Fandangos In Space and Dancing On A Cold Wind are brilliant.

the 3rd album is also really nice, although it is slightly different, and has more of a JT feel to it ... no surprise, right after it the bass player left for JT and the band was over ... story goes that Tony V dropped the band after they upstaged two big names on one of the Friday Night TV shows. End of Carmen ... weird bit here ... they were a band from LA ... and you would never guess that.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:55
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Well, here are some of my big favorites from that period:
Tasavallan Presidentti: Lambert Land
Pekka Pohjola: Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva & Harakka Bialoipokku

Kevin Ayers: the Confessions Of Dr. Dream and Other Stories

Family: Fearless
Roy Harper: Stormcock & Lifemask

Nice chunk ... and in my book, just about anything from Roy Harper in that period is excellent, as is the FAMILY stuff, although by the end of that time period they were STREETWALKERS and the material was more rock'n'roll oriented, but it was magnificent with outstanding guitar work (the trademark of Family and all of their material and Chappo's solos).

Kevin has always been a favorite of mine, and it could be said that this particular period was really good in all of the albums, however, KA was just fine at any other time.

Pekka is someone I bought his stuff when I saw him play in Mike Oldfield's Exposed ... and his albums are very enjoyable to my ears ...

Of all the bands in those years, in my collection, there are/were many that did not get "accepted" and "appreciated" a whole lot ... and the HARVEST Breakfast Cereal box listing is a really good clue to some material that is very different, and yet stands out. (For what that is, check the Hipgnosis book! Could not find it in a net search!)

From that listing, you will also find things like Edgar Broughton Band, which started earlier, but their material within this time period is excellent, and not appreciated because it isn't considered "progressive" as it does not have .... hmmmmmm .... no layers of useless keyboards for frivolous solos! But other things stood out ... Capability Brown (both albums are great), East of Eden's early material is super nice ... sometimes a sort of Quicksilver in their early days, Lol Coxhill became very well known in the jazz circles though I can not say I have a whole lot of his stuff, Principal Edwards was a very different something else, although it appears to have been there from the earlier days ... and later, HARVEST spread into Europe, and brought out Kayak, Triumvirat, Eloy and quite a few other bands, including some not always mentioned, like Tanned Leather and Cherubin (Germany) ... and these were all unusual, and progressive in their own way, in the sense that they were not "popular" or played by anyone else ... EXCEPT Guy Guden in his Space Pirate Radio show. You were not going to miss OORA, or BANDAGES ... or VOICE!

Edited by moshkito - January 29 2020 at 09:03
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 00:10
Curved Air - Air Cut
Aphrodites Child - 666
Vangelis - Earth
Kayak - Kayak II
Refugee - s/t
Triumvirat - Illusions On a Double Dimple
Eloy - Power and The Passion
Kansas- s/t
Chicago - VII
Cherry Five - s/t

the ones in bold are my favourites

hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 18:08
I second Gilgamesh, but I enjoy this album the most:

OP, do not listen if you want prog. This is Jazz made by prog musicians.

This is the best album of the era in my opinion. Technically it was recorded in 1970, but released 1971. Give the first track a listen, if you like that, go and listen the the last track on the album (the 20 minute long "Long Song No. 2")

interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 06:29
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Try some Italian Prog from that era (if you haven't already...)

You will not be sorry!!!

Good suggestion!  I used to listen to Arti E Mestieri and should cue them up again!  Their LP "Tilt" was great!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 04:29
^Yep I second that Carmen rec. Both Fandangos In Space and Dancing On A Cold Wind are brilliant.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:26
Oh and definitely....

Carmen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 02:25
Horslips
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:37
^Listen to this man. His words are full of wisdom

Maybe start out with:
Cervello - Melos
Semiramis - Dedicato a Frazz
Franco Battiato - Pollution
Lucio Battisti - Anima Latina
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:24
Try some Italian Prog from that era (if you haven't already...)

You will not be sorry!!!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 22:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

El Patio by Triana is on the edge of masterpiece territory

it's a relatively recent discovery for me but definitely masterpiece IMO.  So alive that it breathes fire even today

I tend to agree, lovely recent remaster as well.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 20:37
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Gentle Giant/Yezda Urfa kind of sound?
Try some Terreno Baldio as well as Fusioon’s Minorisia. The latter almost makes GG seem uneventful. The former sounds like a South American take on the whimsical Robin Hood band (ie Gentle Giant).

Terreno Baldio: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5RqRhkL0g
Fusioon: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyzJTiLb-4

Thanks for reminding me about Fusioon. That's been on my list to check out for years. I keep getting distracted!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

El Patio by Triana is on the edge of masterpiece territory

it's a relatively recent discovery for me but definitely masterpiece IMO.  So alive that it breathes fire even today
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 23:01
Love Gilgamesh for their jazzy style for sure and a GG taste in there as well! Any recommendations for something similar that has vocals besides scat? Vocals always add another layer to prog for me. I get that this isn't the case for jazz fusion regularly haha

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 22:31
Have been listening to this Morgan and it's amazing! Thanks so much for the recommendation! I checked em out more and really like their 2nd album The Sleeper Wakes possibly more!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 10:10
Frumpy are extremely underrated; their second album is a real gem:

their "Live '72" album is great too.

oh, and that's a woman singing. yes, a woman!

Edited by BaldJean - January 19 2020 at 10:12

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>