Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Underrated prog from 71 to 75

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underrated prog from 71 to 75
    Posted: January 17 2020 at 22:27
Hey friends, I'm new to the forum and just looking for suggestions for great prog I may have missed from my favorite period of the genre. Hope I'm posting in the right area! If not please inform!

Mostly interrested in symphonic, eclectic, some Krautrock, and maybe a little fusion if it's more on the prog side than full jazz.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 22:34
Well, you might start by saying what you are already familiar with, what are the most obscure bands/ albums you have heard/heard of etc. 
pawnofthedaed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 23:37
Sorry for not being specific! For frame of refference I've been listening to Island's Pictures album, Arachnoid's 79 album, and Metropolis' 74 album tonight, all of which are fairly new to me and albums I have been digging! I'd love to hear suggestions for more of any of that kinda stuff besides he more popular influences I know and love, or something along the line of Gentle Giant/Yezda Urfa vibe.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 00:47
Well, here are some of my big favorites from that period:
Finnish:
Wigwam: Fairyport
Tasavallan Presidentti: Lambert Land
Haikara: s/t & Geafar
Kalevala: People No Names
Pekka Pohjola: Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva & Harakka Bialoipokku

Kraut: 
Can: Tago-Mago
Faust: Faust IV
Amon Düül II: Tanz Der Lemminge

Canterbury:
Caravan: In the Land Of Grey & Pink
Soft Machine: 2 & Third
Gong: You
Matching Mole: s/t
Kevin Ayers: the Confessions Of Dr. Dream and Other Stories

Others:
Comus: First Utterance
Family: Fearless
Magma: 2 aka 1001 Centigrades
Roy Harper: Stormcock & Lifemask

These are not the most underrated also not less known (for example Caravan is on this sites top100 list), but anyway also not most known.

Edited by Mortte - January 18 2020 at 00:49
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 01:02
Gentle Giant/Yezda Urfa kind of sound?
Try some Terreno Baldio as well as Fusioon’s Minorisia. The latter almost makes GG seem uneventful. The former sounds like a South American take on the whimsical Robin Hood band (ie Gentle Giant).

Terreno Baldio: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5RqRhkL0g
Fusioon: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyzJTiLb-4

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 18 2020 at 01:05
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 02:45
I can't help but recommend the great Barbara Dennerlein. she is more on the jazz side, but she has a string of six albums ("Straight Ahead", "Hot Stuff", "That's Me", "Take Off", "Junkanoo" and "Outhipped") that have a lot of fusion leanings. she integrates all kind of stuff into her music (blues, Caribean, salsa, funk and more). you have to see her play live though to fully appreciate her due to her unsurpassed foot pedal technique (she definitely doesn't need a bass player); here a clip with an absolutely smoking band: Mitch Watkins on guitar, Rick Keller on sax, Tony Reedus on drums and of course Barbara on her heavily modified Hammond B-3 (she integrates lots of MIDI sounds like for example piano, vibraphone, trumpet and, for her foot pedals, acoustic bass) the title of the track is wrongly given as "It's Me" in the clip; it is actually the title track of her album "That's Me":

"Hot Stuff" is probably the album that has the most fusion leanings. but if you love the Hammond B-3 you can't go wrong with any of those 6 albums I mentioned

Edited by BaldJean - January 18 2020 at 02:58

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 08:50
Thank so much for the extensive list! I'm familiar with about half of thoses, but a number I haven't heard, particularly most of the Finnish ones. Definitely will be looking into these!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 22:56
Been meaning to check out Comus for a while and glad I did! Thanks! Great hauntingly pangan sounding folk that's subtle but unsettling! Reminds me of the folk horror movie The Wicker Man from the 70s, and that's a great thing!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:00
Checked Fusioon and loved it! Definitely gives me the GG vibe! Feel like there's more to discover with repeat listens and that's the mark of a great prog piece for sure. Thank you!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:09
I believe Utopias debut is a really cool album in the history of prog. One that really flies under the radar unfortunately.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:21
Wow, Barbara Dennerlein is extremely tallented for sure! Great Jazzy stuff! Thanks for your detailed info about her!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:52
Agreed about Utopia! Todd Rundgren was fantastic!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:05
Originally posted by pawnofthedaed pawnofthedaed wrote:

Been meaning to check out Comus for a while and glad I did! Thanks! Great hauntingly pangan sounding folk that's subtle but unsettling! Reminds me of the folk horror movie The Wicker Man from the 70s, and that's a great thing!
Comus really is great, it has been my greatest findings in 2010-decade! I heard it in the nineties (one Finnish band had made a version of title song in the seventies) but nobody didn´t have their albums and there really aren´t then any re-issues made. Then I just forgot them, until decided to listen them in the internet. I really love also their other two albums, although second is quite different and of course both are not as great as Utter.

But, check out also those Finnish albums, I believe you will like at least Wigwam & Pekka Pohjola!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:06
About Utopia, first album is really great, but rest are not. Another Live & Ra are listenable, after those albums I don´t like at all.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

About Utopia, first album is really great, but rest are not. Another Live & Ra are listenable, after those albums I don´t like at all.

I agree, I don’t even like those two you mentioned if I’m being honest. But their debut was really cool indeed!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pawnofthedaed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:29
Agreed as well about Utopia. Ra is ok, but the first is far superior to anything else by them. Crazy that it was only a live album I believe. Doesn't even sound like a love album for most of it, which is a positive for me.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 00:30
I have listened quite recently some south-american prog, Arco Iris: Agitor Lucens V is the most recommendation from those (if Spanish doesn´t cause any problems in vocals).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 02:49
Related image

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 04:32
Ever heard Gilgamesh?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 05:05
5 albums that I personally feel get far too little attention are Capability Brown’s Voice, Dashiell Hedayat’s Obsolete, Björn J:son Lindh’s Från Storstad Til Grodspad, Clivage’s Mixtus Orbis as well as Jean-Claude Vannier’s L’enfant Assassin Des Mouches. All albums that wield a certain whiff of the grandeose...though presented in completely different packages.

Capability Brown: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzrK2rAGj4
Dashiell Hedayat: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YBfvPTdMU
Björn J:son Lindh: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0Pvk1MQw8
Jean-Claude Vannier: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itVcGGFd2AU
Clivage: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBYaoynkVg
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>