Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES Solo Album Debuts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which YES solo artist had the best debut album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
7 [14.29%]
16 [32.65%]
1 [2.04%]
10 [20.41%]
1 [2.04%]
14 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 10:44
Chris Squire's I guess
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 12:05
Between Squire and Wakeman.........went with Squire...but they are both good.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:34
6 Wives easily for me. I'm glad Wakeman has been doing well in these last polls, I felt he had been receiving very little apreciation lately.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

6 Wives easily for me. I'm glad Wakeman has been doing well in these last polls, I felt he had been receiving very little apreciation lately.

Rick Wakeman eventually went on to win my recent Favourite YES Solo Artist poll, so he's doing okay. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:43
I didn't expect Alan White, Geoff Downes or Trevor Rabin to gain any votes in this poll, but I included them anyway for the sake of completion. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 00:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Rick Wakeman eventually went on to win my recent Favourite YES Solo Artist poll, so he's doing okay. Smile

the common theme seems to be that Wakeman only made one great album (Six Wives) although I reckon that Criminal Record and King Arthur are almost as good and White Rock was also a very solid album. He did churn out a lot of stuff after the seventies and made some truly sh*tty albums it has to be said!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 00:35
^^ I doubt if there are many prog fans who've heard ALL of Rick Wakeman's fifty plus albums, but my own personal favourite is The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I have five of Rick's albums in total:- The Six Wives of Henry VIII; Myths and Legends; Journey to the Centre of the Earth; No Earthly Connection; and White Rock, all on a 5-CD box set.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 22 2020 at 01:27
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

Six Wives please

yup, I'll even take a seventh. TongueLOLWink
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 13:31
Gonna pile on and go with Six Wives
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:56
Squire followed by Anderson.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 16:15
Chris, Rick and then Jon
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 16:29
I'd put their debut albums in this order:-

1. Chris Squire
2. Jon Anderson
3. Rick Wakeman
4. Steve Howe

I don't know about the other five debuts because I haven't heard them yet. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 16:33
I don't know them all, and those I know are all far from perfect (not a fan of Fish Out Of Water as much as others seem to love that one). I will vote for the Patrick Moraz album, but I'm not sure if I'd even give that one 4 stars, if none of the others. He at least deserves a vote.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 19:01
Jon, Chris and Rick
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 00:25

^^ I doubt if there are many prog fans who've heard ALL of Rick Wakeman's fifty plus albums, but my own personal favourite is The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I have five of Rick's albums in total:- The Six Wives of Henry VIII; Myths and Legends; Journey to the Centre of the Earth; No Earthly Connection; and White Rock, all on a 5-CD box set.

That's actually a great box set , usually there's one dodgy one but all are good Smile

I also like the Retro albums and even spent a bit of time reviewing them. The best later release RW album (by common consensus) is Out There. That's a very solid album indeed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 01:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That's actually a great box set , usually there's one dodgy one but all are good Smile

I agree. Rick Wakeman's box set is one of my favourites too and I have A LOT of box sets. Steve Hackett's box set is very good too. I think the dodgiest box set I've ever bought was by T. Rex, because there were four very early Tyrannosaurus Rex Psych-Folk albums that I didn't like at all and only one Glam Rock album by T. Rex that I really did like. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 23 2020 at 01:20
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:43
I voted Fish Out of Water. The only album I still listen to out of the bunch.

I know it's not "prog," but Alan White's Ramshackled is actually a pretty decent album--if you can get past your prog expectations. I used to play it quite a lot in college--especially the side with "Darkness" with its cool hook and awesome trumpet work. "Crash" Craddock, Peter Kirtley, and Colin Gibson were real pros.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:37
This Wakeman devotee voted for FOOW, because it really is the *best* debut in the poll. 

Six Wives is second, though!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

This Wakeman devotee voted for FOOW, because it really is the *best* debut in the poll. 

Six Wives is second, though!
I had to go back to my poll to see what "FOOW" stood for, but at least I'm not like a fish out of water now, because when I first arrived here back in September I didn't know what on earth "ITCOTCK",  "VDGG" or "CTTE" stood for, but I do now. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I voted Fish Out of Water. The only album I still listen to out of the bunch.

I know it's not "prog," but Alan White's Ramshackled is actually a pretty decent album--if you can get past your prog expectations. I used to play it quite a lot in college--especially the side with "Darkness" with its cool hook and awesome trumpet work. "Crash" Craddock, Peter Kirtley, and Colin Gibson were real pros.
I'm planning to review Alan White's "Ramshackled" album a week from today, if all goes to plan. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>