Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Solo Album Debuts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which Genesis solo artist had the best debut album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [11.11%]
1 [2.22%]
10 [22.22%]
3 [6.67%]
21 [46.67%]
5 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 16:18
I haven't heard all so no vote. That being said I'm a big fan of "car" and "voyage of the acolyte." It would be hard for me to chose between those two anyway. I think that particular PG album is probably PG's most under rated and one of the most underrated albums in general. There's certainly a lot more to it than just "solsbury hill." Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 20 2020 at 16:19
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 17:28
Voyage of the Acolyte for sure! I'm actually listening to the album right now!!Clap
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 18:18
Hackett’s VotA > Phillips’ Geese and the Ghost

I remember liking Smallcreep’s Day, but it’s been so long I don’t know if I would rate it higher or lower than Car. The other two are simply not to my liking.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 22:43
Only the Hackett album is a five star album imo. Geese is four star only because I love the 12-string guitar and the others are only around three stars while I'm being generous here to Mike Rutherford.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Wow...

Mike Rutherford's Smallcreeps Day didn't get any votes (at the time I voted) and it is probably my most favorite Genesis solo album.  (Voted for it).

Second for me would be Tony Banks A Curious Feeling.

Cant seem to get tired of either of them.
It's good to see Mike Rutherford's debut album managed to garner at least one vote. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 00:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I haven't heard all so no vote. That being said I'm a big fan of "car" and "voyage of the acolyte." It would be hard for me to chose between those two anyway. I think that particular PG album is probably PG's most under rated and one of the most underrated albums in general. There's certainly a lot more to it than just "solsbury hill." Wink

I find myself agreeing with you again (although I did vote for Car) Smile
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 13:40
I don't think any band had as much really good to excellent solo work come from it.  This poll is easy for me as Banks' first solo is always in my car.  Love that album and while most of his solos are at least good, I wish he wasn't chasing hits singles(pre 7) that never came.  It's not his natural style.  

of the first solos, in order:
Banks
Hackett
Rutherford 
Collins   
Gabriel
Phillips

...and not a bad album in the bunch!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 15:51
I'd put their debut albums in this order:-
1. Tony Banks
2. Steve Hackett
3. Anthony Phillips
4. Peter Gabriel
5. Phil Collins
6. Mike Rutherford
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 16:20
1. Steve Hackett
2. Peter Gabriel
3. Anthony Phillips
4. Phil Collins
5. Mike Rutherford
6. Tony Banks
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 16:33
It's odd that Tony Banks is either at the top of everyone's list or at the bottom, but never in between. Smile
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 18:18
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's odd that Tony Banks is either at the top of everyone's list or at the bottom, but never in between. Smile

It's not the sort of album that should garner extreme views. Maybe it's because either people like Tony Banks or don't like him.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 18:59
Ant and Steve.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:10
Hackett, far better than the others.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:29
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's not the sort of album that should garner extreme views. Maybe it's because either people like Tony Banks or don't like him.
Tony Banks appears to be a Marmite artist who you either like or don't like, with no in-betweens, or a Vegemite artist in Australia. Tongue
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 17:38
All praise-worthy albums but I just can't go against the pastoral bliss that is The Geese and The Ghost. Along with Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge and Side 2 of Alan Parson Project's Tales of Mystery and Imagination ("The Fall of the House of Usher") it remains my most played music from that era.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
ramien View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 14:50
Geese and the ghost
Ramien
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12