Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fan's in your 20s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:27
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wonder if you can dance to Dead Can Dance. Smile

Only if you're dead obviously Wink
In that case, I guess you could do the zombie stomp to Dead Can Dance. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 16:26
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Do you know why I arranged these age groups in this order?

Well said

I'll take that as a no. It's in descending order. The ones at the top have the most fans and the ones at the bottom have the least(based on my observations of being a prog fan for over 30 years although this is how it currrently seems to sit). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 22 2020 at 16:29
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 19:18
Very well said indeed.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 21:35
I was teaching high school biology this year, and some of the students asked me "Who is your favorite band?"  I said "Yes," because that is the simplest & most accurate response. 

Within a few minutes, one of the lads had pulled up a YouTube video of "Close to the Edge" on his cell phone, and they dug it!  Very impressive for 16 year old kids! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 22:42

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

I'll take that as a no. It's in descending order. The ones at the top have the most fans and the ones at the bottom have the least(based on my observations of being a prog fan for over 30 years although this is how it currrently seems to sit). 

At 60 years of age, it's good to know I'm at the top of the list for the appreciation of prog, although I'm surprised to see teens are only halfway down your list and not right at the bottom of the list. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 22:47
Am I the only one bothered by the grammar mistake in the thread title? LOL
Seems so...

Edited by Cristi - January 22 2020 at 22:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 01:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Am I the only one bothered by the grammar mistake in the thread title? LOL
Seems so...
I hadn't noticed the apostrophe was in the wrong place until you mentioned it but it's not a catastrophe. Smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:04
I'm sh*t at english, but no apostophe at all surely? Suppose i'm feckin wromg...my english teacher would be pissing her knickers if she saw this...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:33
When I saw ARW play in Dayton there were some youngsters screaming "We love Jon!!!."

There is hope!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:56
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I'm sh*t at english, but no apostophe at all surely? Suppose i'm feckin wromg...my english teacher would be pissing her knickers if she saw this...
When I said the apostrophe is in the wrong place, I meant it should be in "20's" and not in "fan's" Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 13:32

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

When I said the apostrophe is in the wrong place, I meant it should be in "20's" and not in "fan's" Wink

Ah, yeah, told you I was sh*t at english...😂

Edited by M27Barney - January 23 2020 at 13:32
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 14:31

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

Interesting. Do 50's people enjoy prog. My mum and dad are 50 and them and all their friends like old punk, new wave, radiohead smashing pumpkins, that type of stuff.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:33

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

At 60 years of age, it's good to know I'm at the top of the list for the appreciation of prog, although I'm surprised to see teens are only halfway down your list and not right at the bottom of the list. Smile

Well, it's because younger people tend to be more internet savy and because of that are more easily able to discover new music(new to them anyway). I could be a little off on that and they might be a little lower but for now I stand by it. Plus they have parents and even grandparents who might have been into prog. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:36
Interesting. Do 50's people enjoy prog. My mum and dad are 50 and them and all their friends like old punk, new wave, radiohead smashing pumpkins, that type of stuff.

In my opinion yes and definitely more than the other age groups(except for maybe sixties). Have you seen the prog fans in their 50's thread on here? It's very active. The 20's age group might be catching up though but this thread so far hasn't convinced me otherwise(since a lot of different ages are contributing here). But yeah a lot in that age group are into alternative, metal, classic rock and other stuff too. My brother is 52 now(53 in June)and I'm more into prog than he is(I'll be 50 in about three months). He's mostly into alternative especially the red hot chillipeppers. He is responsible for getting me into REM and some of those other kinds of bands and I took him to see U2 for his fiftieth birthday. I got into prog mostly on my own(although my cousin was a factor as was my dad's copy of the Yes album and a guitar book that mentioned Robert Fripp).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 23 2020 at 16:40
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 18:14

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Well said

Well, it's because younger people tend to be more internet savy and because of that are more easily able to discover new music(new to them anyway). I could be a little off on that and they might be a little lower but for now I stand by it. Plus they have parents and even grandparents who might have been into prog. 

Not a bad assumption to be honest. I found Progressive Rock out completely by my own accord after wanting to hear more groovy synthesizer stuff. 

It's kinda weird, as a kid I hated all forms of rock except blink 182 and Linkin Park and I listened to lots of rap and hip hop because of my brothers. I discovered prog in 2013 and got more into musical theory in 2014 and started taking my organ/piano lessons seriously. 

These days I denounced genres that are harmonically simple, like most pop/rap/hiphop/EDM. I just don't like it. You won't catch me playing my organ without it plugged through Wah, Chorus and Fuzz. Thanks Emerson, Stewart and Ratledge.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 18:34
I would call them observations more than assumptions. I haven't collected and gathered "scientific" data on the subject(not yet anyway)but my conclusions(and theories)are based on my many years of participating on online prog forums(such as this one)as well as online prog research in general as well as attending many prog festivals and concerts over the years. I put my age group towards the bottom because at almost all the prog concerts and festivals I have been to there were relatively few my age or around my age. Most were either a bit older or a bit younger. The most extreme example was Ozric Tentacles where most everyone was either 55 and over or in their early to mid twenties. It was almost as if a bunch of older guys brought their kids then separated once they got there. LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 23 2020 at 18:41
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 22:46
Well, it has been a while since I have posted on this site, but I am a 25 year old female and I am a huge prog fan. I have been really big into prog for probably the last 6 years or so. I love to collect vinyl and I have been slowly amassing my favorites. Phil Collins and Genesis were my gateway into the wonderful, weird world of prog and I have been a huge fan ever since. I honestly never heard of prog before until I read on wikipedia that Genesis were considered a progresssive rock band, so I told myself I needed to find out what this "progressive rock" was.

Now, that I have a vague notion on what this genre of music is because lets be honest, people are always arguing over what is and what isn't progressive rock. I especially love the symphonic side of prog but I have since gotten into the RPI genre, some zheul, some avant, some jazz fusion, neo, etc. Now my tastes are pretty eclectic.

So yes, there are definitely younger people who are into prog, however, I have to admit I haven't met many people my age who are such huge prog fans as I am. Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock.

Edited by BunBun - January 23 2020 at 22:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 23:15
Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock

Well, for the younger people anyway. I'm sure most people over 40 have at least heard of Yes, Genesis and Jethro Tull and if they are big music fans in general then probably King Crimson also.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 23:21
Yea, I definitely should of mentioned that I was referring to the younger crowd when I made that statement.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 00:26

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

It seems ironic that people in their 70's are right at the bottom of your list for the appreciation of prog when many prog musicians from the classic 1970's era are in their 70's now. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>