FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fan's in your 20s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog fan's in your 20s
    Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Here's a question, Are any of you older folks fans of newer genres of music, particularly Hip Hop (even if it isn't really new). I'm curious if anyone here listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West or Childish Gambino etc.

Not me. I like some old school rap though but not so much the newer stuff. I do like "newer" kinds of music though such as indie and some pop stuff. I also like alternative but that's hardly new anymore.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sounds like a support group thread here doesn't it...  too scared to look at the pages of this.. easy answer and good advice from Dr. Big MIck.. 

ditch the prog.. and the women will come.  Prog is for old farts who are already married for years and years and ain't getting any anymore Beer

Not sure where people get these ideas from. Women want a guy who's not a wuss and not afraid to talk to them. They don't care what kind of music you listen to.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 28 2020 at 17:31
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:11
older??? hmmm  wonder if I am that...  while I'm borderline old.... I once had one HELL of a weekend (think Angel Heart kind of sh*t man.. wow) with a Voodoo priestess while living down New Orleans way and was told I was a very old soul soon to finaly leave the earth... and while i often feel 80.. however I do have the mentality of a 14 year old so .. yeah man.. it balances out so i guess I am oldish

Like most anyone I tend to listen to what I like but have worked for many years usually with kids half my age.. usually supervising them at work and once they found out I was really into music they'd turn me on to stuff they liked.. and I'd do the same with stuff I liked. A nice give and take..  they rather liked my open-mindedness. 

My tastes obviously are much more inclined to modern progressive rock.. ie.. not modern prog rock.. but have never equated my tastes to being statements on quality. I've enjoyed much of what I have heard outside of modern progressive music.  I'd never sit at home and listen to things like Hip Hop.. but it was fun to occasionally listen to at work with coworkers  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 15:24
Here's a question, Are any of you older folks fans of newer genres of music, particularly Hip Hop (even if it isn't really new). I'm curious if anyone here listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West or Childish Gambino etc.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 14:15
sounds like a support group thread here doesn't it...  too scared to look at the pages of this.. easy answer and good advice from Dr. Big MIck.. 

ditch the prog.. and the women will come.  Prog is for old farts who are already married for years and years and ain't getting any anymore Beer

Edited by micky - June 28 2020 at 14:17
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by james_lagan james_lagan wrote:

I'm 16 and got into prog last year... possibly the youngest prog head ever
I love this type of energy I was 14 when discovered UK and Floyd; a year later Genesis and Crimson were my go-to bands; at the age of 16 I heard Script for a Jester's Tear and it's still my favourite album ever some 17 years later.

Early 2000s though were not the best time to be a teenage prog fan - it was more common to be one back in the 70s or even 80s, and it's understandable now, with /mu/-culture and prog memes on Instagram. Back then though, especially in that industrial part of Ukraine...yeah, I still don't understand how that happened
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 09:00
Well, there certainly seems to be more prog fans in their 20's than in their 30's or 40's. I just turned 50 and not many people my age are into prog because they weren't exposed to it growing up (they are mostly into metal and rap).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 28 2020 at 09:00
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 05:43
Almost there, 19
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 04:47
I'm freshly 18 yo and discovered prog 2 years ago when I was 16. Needless to say that it became my favorite genre of all time. I started basically with ITCOTCK but soon got into more not so well-known styles such as RPI.

My love for prog was sealed when I heard SEBTP and CTTE for the first time (CCTE took me like 4 listens to get into but SEBTP was a one shot) and I continued with early Genesis, all the King Crimson discography, ELP etc, until I found VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR which was an absolute love at the first sight .

I don't own any spotify account, I download mp3 or flac and I collect vinyls.

On vinyl, I have bands such as :

ELP, GENESIS, YES, KING CRIMSON, MIKE OLDFIELD, OSANNA, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, WOBBLER, JETHRO TULL, MAGMA, PETER HAMMILL, ANGE and CAMEL.

On mp3 I've downloaded :

ELP, GENESIS, YES, KING CRIMSON, MIKE OLDFIELD, OSANNA, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, WOBBLER, JETHRO TULL, MAGMA, PETER HAMMILL, Ange, CAMEL, PHIDEAUX, RUSH, JORDSJO, IL ROVESCIO DELLA MEDAGLIA, PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI, BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO, AREA, GENTLE GIANT, HARMONIUM, MUSEO ROSENBACH, LOCANDA DELLE FATE, PLAT DU JOUR, RENAISSANCE, RIVK WAKEMAN, STEVE HACKETT and ANGLAGARD.
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 02:59
I'm 22. My half birthday was two days ago. That is all.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 01:08
I'm a prog fan in my 20s! Although that may be the first time I've ever acknowledged that being 21 constitutes being in my 20s, lol.

Rush and early Queen were my gateway drugs into becoming a serious prog fan (not that early Queen and Rush aren't prog, just that they're shared by the umbrella of classic rock which is what got me into music). From there it was Yes, Floyd, and Dream Theater, and later on Genesis, King Crimson, PFM, Jethro Tull, ELP and on and on.

Anyway, hi! :)
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
glaswegians View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glaswegians Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2020 at 23:17
I'm in my 20s too! Obsessed with Camel's early streak of albums. Great tension, release, and ear for melody all around.

I 'discovered' Rush through Guitar Hero and grew to like them from that. But I also went through a phase in my teens where I was obsessed with Deep Purple - Machine Head. Not sure if it counts as prog, but the loads of ideas packed into each song and the great musicianship pulled me in

Edited by glaswegians - June 27 2020 at 23:18
- glaswegians
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 10:08
I am 29 and have liked Prog since I was about 15.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Also, and I could be wrong(and hope I am)but it seems like most younger fans(20's)either aren't into or don't know about the somewhat lesser known older prog bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Eloy, Triumvirat, Starcastle, Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade, PFM, Curved Air, Happy the Man, Grobschnitt, Banco, Earth and Fire, Ange, Finch, etc etc. 

Lol I see a pattern where I keep responding to your posts. Anyways, I am happy to say that I am into most of those groups. I'm a huge fan of Eloy, Triumvirat, Ange, PFM (my 3rd fav. group), Banco(own 8 of their best on vinyl including their newest release), Nektar. Just started listening to Greenslade about 2 weeks ago and now I'll need to hunt down their first LP. Happy the Man might be my fav. American prog group based on their first 2 LPs alone. Haven't heard of Grobschnitt and Earth and Fire, so now I'll need to listen to those at a certain point.

Anyways, I didn't start out with any of those bands as I'm sure most didn't but thanks to this site I have gladly gotten into them.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:15

I'm curious as to how prog fans in their 20's listen to music. I doubt it's on cd so is it mostly vinyl, streaming or downloads?

Mostly through streaming whether it's spotify or youtube. I mostly buy my music on vinyl though, and sometimes the occasional CD. I do like boxset CDs like the Flower Kings Kingdom of Coulours or Blue Effects complete collection. It's a nice space saver on the shelf lol.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:09

Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Yea, I definitely should of mentioned that I was referring to the younger crowd when I made that statement.

Yep. Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I'm not(and I'm sure you're not either) referring to younger prog fans though. If the younger folks get into prog and within a few weeks they don't know about Yes, KC, Genesis, ELP, etc then they aren't paying attention or just focusing on prog metal etc. In the past(say past ten to 12 years or so)whenever I have seen a younger person in public and talked to them about their Yes t shirt it almost always turned out that they found out about them through their parents. I think many younger folks who have heard of Yes probably just think of them as "just another classic rock band" and the same thing with Genesis. Their loss. Wink  

Yea, if a person is a prog fan then they tend to be up on not only the classics but also some of the newer groups despite their age. Also, it most definitely is their loss if they think these groups are just like other classic rock groups. I know some people hate using the term prog rock or progressive rock, but I think it is good because then it can help people discover more music in the vein of yes and genesis or whatever because I wouldn't know even an eighth of the groups I now know if it wasn't for this site.
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunBun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 10:02
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Well, it has been a while since I have posted on this site, but I am a 25 year old female and I am a huge prog fan. I have been really big into prog for probably the last 6 years or so. I love to collect vinyl and I have been slowly amassing my favorites. Phil Collins and Genesis were my gateway into the wonderful, weird world of prog and I have been a huge fan ever since. I honestly never heard of prog before until I read on wikipedia that Genesis were considered a progresssive rock band, so I told myself I needed to find out what this "progressive rock" was.

Now, that I have a vague notion on what this genre of music is because lets be honest, people are always arguing over what is and what isn't progressive rock. I especially love the symphonic side of prog but I have since gotten into the RPI genre, some zheul, some avant, some jazz fusion, neo, etc. Now my tastes are pretty eclectic.

So yes, there are definitely younger people who are into prog, however, I have to admit I haven't met many people my age who are such huge prog fans as I am. Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock.

Honestly, you summed it up perfectly. I also never had heard of Prog before, but I loved the music and wanted more. And just like you I travelled into the weird side worlds of prog and found even more new music.

I haven't met any prog fans aside from prog death metal fans at Opeth, and the guy at my local music shop likes modern prog like Plini, King Gizzard etc. I haven't really heard these bands yet. It's taken me years to get through all of the classic prog acts and their spin offs.

I know what you mean, I now listen to a good balance of new bands and music along with classics but it takes years to just get through some of the big classic bands but oh well, it's nice to know that there will always be new music to discover.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 22:20
In my 20s, I like prog
Liked it when I was 15 too
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by james_lagan james_lagan wrote:

I'm 16 and got into prog last year, with early Genesis as the gateway, then found Yes, ELP and some Italian bands. Definitely a minority and possibly the youngest prog head ever. Could someone to recommended some good modern bands because they seem underwhelming compared the 70s stuff?...

You're right that most modern bands aren't as good as the classics (that's my opinion, it's probably a bit of rose tinted lenses though).

This is my favorite album of all time and it came out in 2008, Swedish band making Symphonic Prog pretty much like Yes, but with Beach Boys styled 5 layer vocals.

This album is considered the best album of the decade (2010s). It came out in 2018 and it is an excellent homage to classical 70s prog.

interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 09:57

Also, and I could be wrong(and hope I am)but it seems like most younger fans(20's)either aren't into or don't know about the somewhat lesser known older prog bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Eloy, Triumvirat, Starcastle, Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade, PFM, Curved Air, Happy the Man, Grobschnitt, Banco, Earth and Fire, Ange, Finch, etc etc. 

Very often when progressive rock is mentioned on the internet or TV one will hear how the 1970s were the golden age and no new artists of note cropped up afterwards, so if anything it makes more sense to me that people who are new to the genre and want to explore its lesser known exponents would first gravitate towards bands from that era rather than bands who are currently active. Personally, I love Triumvirat, PFM and Happy The Man; I think Curved Air and Banco are okay; I don't really care about BJH, Eloy or Grobschnitt; I know of Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade and Earth & Fire but haven't heard anything by them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>