Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fan's in your 20s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog fan's in your 20s
    Posted: January 21 2020 at 13:38
There are literally dozens of us!

First prog song: Dark side of the moon, blew my mind but I can't really listen to it anymore

First major prog song: trilogy by ELP. I absolutely loved keyboard solos, so I loved keyboard solos in songs like this. I had recently heard Dark Side and decided to try find more music like Any Colour You Like. Found ELP - From the beginning, it was alright so decided to listen to the albums main song Trilogy. Revolutionized my music taste more than any other track. Insane chaotic synth solo that I'd never heard before. never heard 'transitions' in music, which I later learnt was called prog.

I really smashed ELP after this for the next 2 years. Found Canterbury scene, fusion, classical jazz, classical music etc after discovering prog. My favorite track atm is currently Mumps by Hatfield, or Visit to Newport Hospital by Egg.

It's worth noting that I discovered prog in 2013 and have been on a prog bender ever since. My dad was born in '63 but hates prog and general w**kiness, he was in a somewhat popular NZ Punk band in the late 70s early 80s. Not really popular, wouldn't expect anyone to know them but people occasionally do. Lately my Dad has been listening to some of my records and he is beginning to like Prog, but typically only modern stuff. Hates the hippy stuff, which in my opinion is my favorite era (1969-73) :(. He really just grew up in a time where Prog is not popular, as did I.

Edited by hugo1995 - January 21 2020 at 13:43
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:01
60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:47
There aren't many young ones I know offline....in fact I only know several beside myself that are into prog rock and we are all well over 50...myself and my best friend being 68 years young.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 14:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

There aren't many young ones I know offline....in fact I only know several beside myself that are into prog rock and we are all well over 50...myself and my best friend being 68 years young.
:)

Count yourself lucky, I've never met a prog fan in person full stop. It just never reached New Zealand. All the people like my parents and people my parents age were not even 10 when the Prog era was almost over in 1972 or so. I'd love to meet any prog fan of any age to discuss music, hopefully one day I find one!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 17:08
My dauther, who is 26 now, likes some prog, but she doen't really listen to it, except whe she is with me. I never heard her say "I don't like this or that" but she's not really a prog fan per say. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 19:27
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Do you know why I arranged these age groups in this order?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

My dauther, who is 26 now, likes some prog, but she doen't really listen to it, except whe she is with me. I never heard her say "I don't like this or that" but she's not really a prog fan per say. 

No offense but probably not much of a music fan either(in general). A lot of people just aren't really that much into music and that's ok. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 21:15
Almost there, turn 19 in March
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 21:43
I have found that any serious young musician in their 20's or younger can appreciate good prog---cant tell you how many young musicians have their mind blown when they hear CTTE or Suppers Ready for the first time--they may not love --love it but they know they are hearing something important and unique.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 22:17
I'm 27 and I've been listening to prog since I was about 12 or so... around the same time I started learning how to play bass and guitar. Couldn't fathom why the other kids in my music class were so interested in playing Green Day songs (American Idiot was just released) when Rush songs were way more interesting to play. Never had too much difficulty finding people my age who enjoy prog to some extent, but then again, I hang out with a lot of musicians.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:14
I turned 32 yesterday; I've been seriously into prog since about age 19 or 20 (2007/2008ish)!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:39

No offense but probably not much of a music fan either(in general). A lot of people just aren't really that much into music and that's ok. 
Actually, she loves music, specially opera and music with great vocals, like Broadway musicals. I think the long instrumental parts in prog is not her cup of tea, and though she doesn't dislike it, is certainly not her favorite thing. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:29

Actually, she loves music, especially opera and music with great vocals, like Broadway musicals. I think the long instrumental parts in prog is not her cup of tea, and though she doesn't dislike it, is certainly not her favorite thing. 

I think most people get bored with the long instrumental parts unless it's by Pink Floyd or Rush. For the most part it's something that doesn't appeal to most people(even most "real" music fans). Us prog fans seem to be outliers among music fans. But there are other reasons too such as bands who sing in foreign languages, unusual or intellectual lyrics, singers with high voices, complexity(time changes) and just sounds(including instrumentation) that you don't typically hear in normal rock. I made that comment though because a lot of p eople just aren't hardcore music fans. They are casual listeners who maybe just mostly listen to the radio and just aren't really that into it. I would say maybe 20 to 30 percent of adults are music people and the rest are just casual at best.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 22 2020 at 09:45
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 10:04

Actually, she loves music, especially opera and music with great vocals, like Broadway musicals. I think the long instrumental parts in prog is not her cup of tea, and though she doesn't dislike it, is certainly not her favorite thing. 

I think most people get bored with the long instrumental parts unless it's by Pink Floyd or Rush. For the most part it's something that doesn't appeal to most people(even most "real" music fans). Us prog fans seem to be outliers among music fans. But there are other reasons too such as bands who sing in foreign languages, unusual or intellectual lyrics, singers with high voices, complexity(time changes) and just sounds(including instrumentation) that you don't typically hear in normal rock. I made that comment though because a lot of p eople just aren't hardcore music fans. They are casual listeners who maybe just mostly listen to the radio and just aren't really that into it. I would say maybe 20 to 30 percent of adults are music people and the rest are just casual at best.
Yes, you make a good point indeed. It seems that most people prefer a short piece of music, mostly with a good dance beat and a catchy tune. Prog, likes jazz, classical, etc, is music to listen to. Of course you can dance to anything if you want to, but in general, you won't get people dancing to a long piece from yes, King Crimson, etc. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:35
Could you really dance round your handbag to...
"Gates of delirium", "Awaken" or "Ghost of perdition"? I would love to see that...😁
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:00

Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Well said

Do you know why I arranged these age groups in this order?

Well said
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:01
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Could you really dance round your handbag to...
"Gates of delirium", "Awaken" or "Ghost of perdition"? I would love to see that...😁

Saw them live, can confirm you can dance well to this prog.

Edited by hugo1995 - January 22 2020 at 13:02
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:07
I wonder if you can dance to Dead Can Dance. Smile
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:11
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wonder if you can dance to Dead Can Dance. Smile

Only if you're dead obviously Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>