Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fan's in your 20s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 01:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It seems ironic that people in their 70's are right at the bottom of your list for the appreciation of prog when many prog musicians from the classic 1970's era are in their 70's now. Smile

People tend to get into music during their teens, whereas the musicians they are getting into tend to be about ten years older.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 17:59
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Yea, I definitely should of mentioned that I was referring to the younger crowd when I made that statement.

Yep. Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I'm not(and I'm sure you're not either) referring to younger prog fans though. If the younger folks get into prog and within a few weeks they don't know about Yes, KC, Genesis, ELP, etc then they aren't paying attention or just focusing on prog metal etc. In the past(say past ten to 12 years or so)whenever I have seen a younger person in public and talked to them about their Yes t shirt it almost always turned out that they found out about them through their parents. I think many younger folks who have heard of Yes probably just think of them as "just another classic rock band" and the same thing with Genesis. Their loss. Wink  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 18:04
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

It seems ironic that people in their 70's are right at the bottom of your list for the appreciation of prog when many prog musicians from the classic 1970's era are in their 70's now. Smile

People tend to get into music during their teens, whereas the musicians they are getting into tend to be about ten years older.

Exactly. Those in their 70's typically got into music from the fifties or sixties. Since prog was not on most people's radar in the 80's or 90's most people who were teens in those decades(30's and 40's now)did not get exposed to prog which is why they are towards the bottom of my list. Not that there aren't any of course but I would guess most of them that are into it now kind of discovered it online much later and and had an aha moment("oh Rush are prog?" "Oh Dream theater are considered prog rock? I better check out this thing called prog rock."). That kind of thing. Typically there has to be some kind of "bridge" that takes someone from casual fan to knowing what prog is then to becoming a fan. I guess you can think of it as a two steop or three step process(depending on where and how they start). Those who already are fans of Yes, PF etc growing up have a headstart but they still need to dig deeper to be prog fans. These days the term "prog" is pretty ubiquitous in music circles it seems so it's probably the easiest it's been to discover prog since the seventies.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 24 2020 at 18:07
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:43
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

Well, it has been a while since I have posted on this site, but I am a 25 year old female and I am a huge prog fan. I have been really big into prog for probably the last 6 years or so. I love to collect vinyl and I have been slowly amassing my favorites. Phil Collins and Genesis were my gateway into the wonderful, weird world of prog and I have been a huge fan ever since. I honestly never heard of prog before until I read on wikipedia that Genesis were considered a progresssive rock band, so I told myself I needed to find out what this "progressive rock" was.

Now, that I have a vague notion on what this genre of music is because lets be honest, people are always arguing over what is and what isn't progressive rock. I especially love the symphonic side of prog but I have since gotten into the RPI genre, some zheul, some avant, some jazz fusion, neo, etc. Now my tastes are pretty eclectic.

So yes, there are definitely younger people who are into prog, however, I have to admit I haven't met many people my age who are such huge prog fans as I am. Sure people seem to like Rush and Pink Floyd but that is the extent of many peoples' knowledge of progressive rock.

Honestly, you summed it up perfectly. I also never had heard of Prog before, but I loved the music and wanted more. And just like you I travelled into the weird side worlds of prog and found even more new music.

I haven't met any prog fans aside from prog death metal fans at Opeth, and the guy at my local music shop likes modern prog like Plini, King Gizzard etc. I haven't really heard these bands yet. It's taken me years to get through all of the classic prog acts and their spin offs.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:44

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

60's
50's
20's 
teens
40's
30's
70's

Being 70 != being able to search the internet for an obscure forum about obscure music. 

Maybe :P. Most people 70+ aren't so good at the internet.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 16:03
This isn't really about not being good with the internet although it could be to some extent. It's more about who is the most likely to discover prog or know about it. The internet could be a factor. Maybe it was my imagination but did I detect a bit of programming syntax in your response there? ;)
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 04:13
Prog fans in your 60s
Prog fans in your 70s
Prog fans in your 20s
Prog fans in your 50s

Me: Prog fan in her 30s Cry
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

I haven't met any prog fans aside from prog death metal fans at Opeth, and the guy at my local music shop likes modern prog like Plini, King Gizzard etc. I haven't really heard these bands yet. It's taken me years to get through all of the classic prog acts and their spin offs.

I would suggest, as an old foggie, that music appreciation, has nothing to do with tastes and what you like and don't like ... listen to or don't listen to. If you love music, ALL of its aspects will color your imagination, however, in this day and age, the whole thing is so commercial that finding someone that doesn't care about this or that ... is not a surprise ... but one could state that their ability to enjoy and listen to music is very limited, and might die away completely as they get older ... not like many of us, that went out got the albums, and still collect the music ... and I have no problems listening to new stuff whatsoever ... which makes me want to comment ... that it's not "music" that many folks are really listening to!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 14:05
I'm curious as to how prog fans in their 20's listen to music. I doubt it's on cd so is it mostly vinyl, streaming or downloads?
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 19:35

I'm curious as to how prog fans in their 20's listen to music. I doubt it's on cd so is it mostly vinyl, streaming or downloads?

When I was a teen, CDs were still in, so I certainly got in the habit of buying them. I remember I could go somewhere like Best Buy and they'd have CDs from mainstream prog bands - Rush, Yes, ELP, Dream Theater, etc. I remember iTunes coming out when I was in my early teens, but I always thought the idea of buying a single song was kind of dumb... If I liked one song from a band, why wouldn't I get the whole album to find more songs that I liked? I could buy the full album from iTunes, sure, but it costed about as much as the CD, so what was the point? Then again, I'm 27, so people in their early 20s may have had access to streaming earlier in their life.

I still prefer buying CDs, but these days it's harder to find a store that sells them, let alone the stuff I want to listen to. Getting them shipped from online can get rather expensive.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 05:37

If my neighbor is an example, then I would say, he does not listen to music ... he just plays the songs he likes, and I'm not sure that "music" has anything to do with anything at all. 

And he does this via his friends, and the suggestions he gets from Google or somewhere else in his smartphone ... but for you and I ... the thought that Google, or Microsoft, or Apple can decide what you should listen to?

That's when I want to throw up! Ad Nauseum!

Edited by moshkito - January 30 2020 at 05:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 07:01

I know vinyl is trendy amongst some 20 year olds (and has been for a while since I noticed students snapping up some of my old vinyl at a jumble sale) but my 2 sons listen to music, go to gigs etc but don't own a single CD between them (not counting the Bob The Builder single that I bought for them about 20 years ago).
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:30
I'm 25 and have been a prog fanatic since I was 18. Much like BunBun, my gateway into it was listening to my dad's classic rock collection which naturally contained a lot of Rush and Pink Floyd, and upon reading on Wikipedia that these apparently belonged to a genre called "progressive rock" I decided to immerse myself into it as much as possible. Nowadays I don't really listen to either of those bands anymore and while I still very much love a lot of the more "mainstream" symphonic groups such as Genesis, Yes and ELP, I'm usually not too interested in new music that tries to emulate that style. Most of the prog I currently seek out tends to gravitate towards the more harmonically and structurally complex regions of the Canterbury and RIO scenes, often verging against jazz and modern classical.

I've been happily collecting CDs for eight years now but I've never had any interest in vinyl because I think it's too expensive and too impractical in terms of space and durability.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 10:40
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm 25 and have been a prog fanatic since I was 18. Much like BunBun, my gateway into it was listening to my dad's classic rock collection which naturally contained a lot of Rush and Pink Floyd, and upon reading on Wikipedia that these apparently belonged to a genre called "progressive rock" I decided to immerse myself into it as much as possible. Nowadays I don't really listen to either of those bands anymore and while I still very much love a lot of the more "mainstream" symphonic groups such as Genesis, Yes and ELP, I'm usually not too interested in new music that tries to emulate that style. Most of the prog I currently seek out tends to gravitate towards the more harmonically and structurally complex regions of the Canterbury and RIO scenes, often verging against jazz and modern classical.

I've been happily collecting CDs for eight years now but I've never had any interest in vinyl because I think it's too expensive and too impractical in terms of space and durability.
That's the same reason I no longer collect vinyl too, besides which, there's no need to flip a CD over halfway through the album. Smile
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 14:04

I can answer this from my own personal experience! YouTube (and probably Spotify, but I don't use Spotify) is excellent at recommending music. I'd always play games and let music play in the background and it would autoplay into recommended songs. I LOVED keyboard solos and would listen to songs with them, and it eventually took me to prog.

I have a vinyl collection worth quite a bit, I bought all the prog classics and then some rare LP's like Egg, Flower Kings Stardust we Are (which seriously was about $120 because it's out of print).

I don't really listen to vinyl so much though, I just love the collection. YouTube is my go to and I discover music through that platform.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 11:21
I'm 25 and started listening to Prog through Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Yes in 2011. I only discovered the term thanks to this site the following year though. My parents grew up in the 80s and Prog wasn't that much popular here back in the day so I had to find it on my own. I started from my interest in recent Rock and moved backwards in time until I found out 70s Rock was the stuff I liked the most.
About album collections, mine is about 60% CD and 40% vinyl. For 70s Prog I prefer vinyl or early CD releases because I like to listen to them exactly how they sounded back then. For recent albums it's mostly CD, most don't sound that better on LP to justify the cost.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 12:23
Also, and I could be wrong(and hope I am)but it seems like most younger fans(20's)either aren't into or don't know about the somewhat lesser known older prog bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Eloy, Triumvirat, Starcastle, Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade, PFM, Curved Air, Happy the Man, Grobschnitt, Banco, Earth and Fire, Ange, Finch, etc etc. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 13:21
Grammar police here.  

Don't use apostrophes for plurals, only possessives or contractions ("what is" becomes "what's")

Yes:  "Prog fans in your 20s" 

No:  "Prog fan's in your 20's"  

And so forth.  

Any further infractions and we shall take down this website.  

Best, Anonymous.  

Welcome.
You are now Anonymous, but you were already.
We are legion.
Do not forgive.
Do not forget.
We were expecting you.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 13:39

Also, and I could be wrong(and hope I am)but it seems like most younger fans(20's)either aren't into or don't know about the somewhat lesser known older prog bands such as Barclay James Harvest, Eloy, Triumvirat, Starcastle, Strawbs, Nektar, Greenslade, PFM, Curved Air, Happy the Man, Grobschnitt, Banco, Earth and Fire, Ange, Finch, etc etc. 

I'm just about old enough to have heard of all of those bands., although I'm not sure about Ange. Smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 14:01

I have 11 of those bands in my collection. I'm particularly very fond of Eloy, PFM and Finch. I also saw Curved Air live five years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>