Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who's your favourite female singer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
17 [26.15%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
2 [3.08%]
4 [6.15%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
3 [4.62%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 10:40
Gave this to Lisa Gerrard. Not her fault the entire American TV and movie soundtrack industry seems to have co-opted her voice since about 2000.  I remember the first time I heard 'The Mirror Pool' when it came out, and just felt that I'd entered a realm of music I'd never imagined before.

Second place to Renate from Amon Duul II,
and can't help it, just love Grace Slick.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 17:21
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I wonder if anyone would vote for Dagmar Krause though if I exchanged her for another singer with no votes. I added Susanne Sundfør after two PA members suggested I include her, but so far, no one's voted for her. Besides which, Kate Bush and Annie Haslam are so far ahead now in the poll that no late entries will even come close to changing the end result.  Smile

The thing is, if user XXX sees your poll, votes, and then says "I'd have voted YYY if she was there", and you insert her later, XXX can't vote for YYY anymore, and neither can a number of other people who have already voted. Changing options later will never make a fair poll. Apart from that, the "end result" is the result for everyone, not just the winner.

That's a good point. It's a case of me trying to please everyone at once by adding PA members suggestions to the poll, but ending up pleasing no one, and besides, I've already used up all 25 poll options, so adding new names to the poll means I have to remove someone who's already in the poll. Smile

In my opinion, as a poll designer you can be much more robust and say, "that's my poll, if you want to have this or that other option, do your own". Of course it still makes good sense to suggest and discuss other options, and a poll designer can admit occasionally that somebody is not there because they haven't thought of this option and it would've been a good one,  but ultimately the answer to "why is YYY not there?" always is "because the poll designer didn't include them, and they can include and not include whoever they want".

When Gandalf said that, people got angry and called him arrogant. Guess this is a more mature PA then.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:29
I'm not sure many would consider the symphonic metal entries to be prog, so the lack of votes there is to be expected.

But setting aside the genre mismatch, as a vocalist, Tarja is clearly the class of this list, with Floor and maybe Sharon also head and shoulders above the rest. Those women have the pipes!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:36
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I'm not sure many would consider the symphonic metal entries to be prog, so the lack of votes there is to be expected.

But setting aside the genre mismatch, as a vocalist, Tarja is clearly the class of this list, with Floor and maybe Sharon also head and shoulders above the rest. Those women have the pipes!

That's a good point, but if I'd left the best-known Symphonic Metal singers out of the poll, I had a feeling someone would inevitably ask why I didn't include them. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 25 2020 at 08:37
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:39

There's nothing Tarja can do that Floor can't or Annie for that matter.  Tarja fanboys/fangirls have hyped her way too much (because she gained notoriety as a symph metal singer long before Floor, Simone or Sharon), whilst not denying that she is quite a capable singer technically.  Floor on the other hand:

To go from the above to this:

And also this, which is her forte:

There is no female singer in the world today I know of that can do all this. Technically speaking, Floor is the best female singer in rock today, without question. Tastes may differ of course but the repertoire involved in going from full on death growls to full voice sixth octave notes is mind boggling to say the least.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There's nothing Tarja can do that Floor can't or Annie for that matter.  Tarja fanboys/fangirls have hyped her way too much (because she gained notoriety as a symph metal singer long before Floor, Simone or Sharon), whilst not denying that she is quite a capable singer technically.  Floor on the other hand:

There is no female singer in the world today I know of that can do all this. Technically speaking, Floor is the best female singer in rock today, without question. Tastes may differ of course but the repertoire involved in going from full on death growls to full voice sixth octave notes is mind boggling to say the least.
Floor Jansen can certainly floor the competition when it comes to Symphonic Metal singers, so maybe it's time for a Female Symphonic Metal Singers poll to give her a fair chance of winning when Annie Haslam and Kate Bush won't be included. Smile
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 15:53
Glaring omission is Jacqui McShee (Pentangle). The voice of an angel. She would have got my vote.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:02
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Glaring omission is Jacqui McShee (Pentangle). The voice of an angel. She would have got my vote.
Not to worry. She'll be coming up in my Favourite Female Folk Singers poll. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:07
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Gave this to Lisa Gerrard. Not her fault the entire American TV and movie soundtrack industry seems to have co-opted her voice since about 2000.  I remember the first time I heard 'The Mirror Pool' when it came out, and just felt that I'd entered a realm of music I'd never imagined before.

Second place to Renate from Amon Duul II,
and can't help it, just love Grace Slick.
Lisa Gerrard is probably best-known for "Now We Are Free" on the Gladiator soundtrack, although I love all of her albums, both solo and with Dead Can Dance.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 16:24

Floor Jansen can certainly floor the competition when it comes to Symphonic Metal singers, so maybe it's time for a Female Symphonic Metal Singers poll to give her a fair chance of winning when Annie Haslam and Kate Bush won't be included. Smile

I like all the Nightwish singers...I even like the guy when he sings!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 20:36
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I like all the Nightwish singers...I even like the guy when he sings!

Yup, love Marco.  Hope you have all heard his rendition of High Hopes.  Before Floor joined the band, he was my favourite singer in Nightwish.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 21:42

Floor might just as well have beaten Tarja at singing this song.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 22:24
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Floor might just as well have beaten Tarja at singing this song.

Floor is a very vivacious and expressive person and that translates well in such songs.  Tarja can match her technically on Phantom but the interaction with the male singer is what Floor does better.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 22:51
^I don´t like Tarja at all. I am really glad she´s not Nightwish anymore, although Nightwish is quite indifferent to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 02:29
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^I don´t like Tarja at all. I am really glad she´s not Nightwish anymore, although Nightwish is quite indifferent to me.
It's just a matter of personal taste. Tarja Turunen happens to be my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal singer. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 03:30

It's just a matter of personal taste. Tarja Turunen happens to be my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal singer. Smile
Yes. For some reason I haven´t liked opera-style vocals in popular music. I like some operas (for example Mussorgsky´s Boris Godunov.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 04:35

Yes. For some reason I haven´t liked opera-style vocals in popular music. I like some operas (for example Mussorgsky´s Boris Godunov.

Likewise.  That's why the only symph metal female singer I warmed up to was Floor.  I love that Annie doesn't use that operatic tone except on rare occasions like the last part of Scheherazade.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 05:35
I think Sarah Brightman would make a good Symphonic Metal singer if she ever wanted to branch out and diversify from Classical Crossover. Smile

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 05:44

Likewise.  That's why the only symph metal female singer I warmed up to was Floor.  I love that Annie doesn't use that operatic tone except on rare occasions like the last part of Scheherazade.
To me Annie hasn´t ever sounded opera-singer at all, she just sounds beautiful!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 08:11

To me Annie hasn´t ever sounded opera-singer at all, she just sounds beautiful!

She does use that sound but only where it's absolutely needed, like her rendering of Ave Maria.  She never uses it in a general pastoral folk-rock setting.  Say something like what Sally Oldfield did on Shadow of the Hierophant, Annie would never use that tone in a song like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>