Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Who's your favourite female singer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
17 [26.15%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
2 [3.08%]
4 [6.15%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
3 [4.62%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:23
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There's nothing Tarja can do that Floor can't or Annie for that matter.  Tarja fanboys/fangirls have hyped her way too much (because she gained notoriety as a symph metal singer long before Floor, Simone or Sharon), whilst not denying that she is quite a capable singer technically.  Floor on the other hand:

There is no female singer in the world today I know of that can do all this. Technically speaking, Floor is the best female singer in rock today, without question. Tastes may differ of course but the repertoire involved in going from full on death growls to full voice sixth octave notes is mind boggling to say the least.
Floor Jansen can certainly floor the competition when it comes to Symphonic Metal singers, so maybe it's time for a Female Symphonic Metal Singers poll to give her a fair chance of winning when Annie Haslam and Kate Bush won't be included. Smile

I like all the Nightwish singers...I even like the guy when he sings!

Yup, love Marco.  Hope you have all heard his rendition of High Hopes.  Before Floor joined the band, he was my favourite singer in Nightwish.
i'm not familiar with his solo work but listening to it now.  Seems like he should be on PA don't you think?
I am embarrassed to say I don't easily distinguish the female singers in Nightwish - I just know they don't tend to last long!  I do think the band as a whole has improved over time and their last 2 studio albums are my favorites
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:49
Bearing in mind Annie Haslam is currently leading the poll for the best female Prog-Rock vocalist of all time, it's a damn shame she was recently rejected for inclusion in Prog Archives. Confused
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:53
I'm pretty sure the band she's in is on PA.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm pretty sure the band she's in is on PA.

I was hoping Annie Haslam would be added to PA as a solo artist too. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 26 2020 at 11:58
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 16:48
Love Annie, Kate and Heather..... but at her peak with Iona, I think Joanne Hogg's voice was pure perfection. ❤️
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 20:30

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There's nothing Tarja can do that Floor can't or Annie for that matter.  Tarja fanboys/fangirls have hyped her way too much (because she gained notoriety as a symph metal singer long before Floor, Simone or Sharon), whilst not denying that she is quite a capable singer technically.  Floor on the other hand:

There is no female singer in the world today I know of that can do all this. Technically speaking, Floor is the best female singer in rock today, without question. Tastes may differ of course but the repertoire involved in going from full on death growls to full voice sixth octave notes is mind boggling to say the least.

Floor Jansen can certainly floor the competition when it comes to Symphonic Metal singers, so maybe it's time for a Female Symphonic Metal Singers poll to give her a fair chance of winning when Annie Haslam and Kate Bush won't be included. Smile

I like all the Nightwish singers...I even like the guy when he sings!

Yup, love Marco.  Hope you have all heard his rendition of High Hopes.  Before Floor joined the band, he was my favourite singer in Nightwish.

i'm not familiar with his solo work but listening to it now.  Seems like he should be on PA don't you think?
I am embarrassed to say I don't easily distinguish the female singers in Nightwish - I just know they don't tend to last long!  I do think the band as a whole has improved over time and their last 2 studio albums are my favorites

That's because they all have to sing the same fifth octave opera sounding stuff on metal. Floor is the current singer and a lot more interesting outside Nightwish.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 07:24
Really wanted to vote for Jane Relf (who I saw sing with Renaissance) or Catherine Ribeiro (a relatively recent discovery thanks to this site).  But in order to be entirely honest, I had to go with the wonderful Sonja Kirstina.  The one time I was lucky enough to see Curved Air (1971, original lineup), they had tremendous stage presence, in addition to the obvious musical talent.  I'm not sure if others in the audience felt the same way we did (2 friends I went with agreed with me), but for us they blew headliners Emerson, Lake & Palmer right off of the stage. And we had gone to see ELP.  Curved Air came as a surprise, so preconceptions didn't enter into it.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:37
Heather Findley 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:52
This poll still running eh ? Still Christina Booth 💖
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 05:19
Had to go with "Joanne Hogg" cause I would go for Iona more often than the others.

Boy did Nick Beggs had hair back then..

ngkh53 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ngkh53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 12:50
Ninet Tayeb, guest singer for Steven Wilson
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 15:01
Jacqui McShee or Sandy Denny.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 15:10
Good poll!  I gave Christina Booth some love, she is amazing! 

Also, Glass Hammer has a new release featuring a WONDERFUL female vocalist, Hannah Pryor!  She has a lovely Middle-Eastern influence in her vocals that adds a lot of mystery to the music!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 18:46
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Love Annie, Kate and Heather..... but at her peak with Iona, I think Joanne Hogg's voice was pure perfection. ❤️

ClapThumbs Up
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2021 at 20:03
Many good ones on that list..........Haslam obvious the favorite right now but I like Slick, Bush, Booth, and especially Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance. I just wish she had done a few more conventional lyrical vocal tracks with DCD but I am still a big fan of her and the band. She gets my vote.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 01:49
Annie Haslam (Renaissance)
Jerney Kaagman (Earth & Fire)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)

Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 04:49
I voted for Dagmar Krause - ah, not on the list - OK then, my vote goes to Liz Fraser...what?  Not prog?  Eh?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345