Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Who's your favourite female singer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
17 [26.15%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
2 [3.08%]
4 [6.15%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
3 [4.62%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:35
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You really should have given multiple options. I voted for Annie but would have also voted for Floor Jansen had there been multiple options.

The last time I enabled multiple options - in the Best of British Drummers poll - some PA members were giving multiple votes to just one drummer, which defeated the object of the poll, so I doubt if I'll be enabling multiple options again. Sorry. Confused
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 07:05
In The Netherlands Floor Jansen is finally becoming famous! She entered the popular program 'Holland's best singers' (in which famous Dutch singers sing special songs for each other) and totally wrecked the competition. She's just won the 'Pop Award', which is one the most prestigious music awards in our country.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:28
^^ It sounds like Floor Jansen floored the competition. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:32
I don't think Floor needs the pop media recognition,unless it's work that she's paid for, but after all, she's in Nightwish, one og the biggest metal bands, so... New Nightwish album on the way, so she'll have plenty of singing to do. LOL
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:52
I'm disappointed by the omission of Dagmar Krause and Amanda Parsons but I understand that it's impossible to include everyone. Kate Bush is probably my favourite out of those listed, followed by Haslam and Slick.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:00
Great poll! Annie of course.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:56
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm disappointed by the omission of Dagmar Krause and Amanda Parsons but I understand that it's impossible to include everyone. Kate Bush is probably my favourite out of those listed, followed by Haslam and Slick.
I like Amanda Parsons too, although to be honest, I hadn't heard of her before my recent review of National Health's first album. Smile

It's nearly always impossible to include everyone in an open-ended poll like this one, but at least I used up all 25 available slots. Smile

Whoever I included or left out of the poll, it looks like Annie Haslam is odds-on favourite to win the poll by a wide margin, which is the result I was hoping for because I voted for Annie too. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 22 2020 at 10:00
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:28
Voting for Annie Haslam, however I do also love Christina Booth and Tori Amos....Annie and Christina for being particularly fine singers, Tori for her vocal styling being perfect for her music.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:45
Katie here but at the very top there's only one for me...Joni.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:56

100% agree on Dagmar & Amanda. Where are Sharron Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra), Yamamoto Kyoko (Koenjihyakkei), Elaine di Falco (Thinking Plague) and Courtney Swain (Bent Knee)

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 22 2020 at 11:59
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Kate Bush out of this list, as I've been a fan of hers since day one. She's not just a great singer, but an extremely accomplished musician, composer and songwriter. However, I believe Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance fully deserves a mention, with her dramatic contralto so different from the angelic sopranos that people seem to favour here and elsewhere. Really looking forward to seeing her and the equally sublime Brendan Perry (one of my Top 10 male vocalists, hands down) in April.
+

^This.  Kate Bush.  And Lisa Gerrard.  Both amazing singers and accomplished musicians/composers.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:17
Of course, you can't have everybody, but I'm fully on board with Lisa Gerrard.  And adding Mary Fahl.  No soprano she.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Of course, you can't have everybody, but I'm fully on board with Lisa Gerrard.  And adding Mary Fahl.  No soprano she.

I meant to include Lisa Gerrard in the poll, so I've just added her in Slot No. 23 Smile
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:06
Courtney Swain (Bent Knee, and solo albums)
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:30
Jerney Kaagman.Haslam and Slick also.
Shake & bake.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

100% agree on Dagmar & Amanda. Where are Sharron Fortnam (North Sea Radio Orchestra), Yamamoto Kyoko (Koenjihyakkei), Elaine di Falco (Thinking Plague) and Courtney Swain (Bent Knee)

Great call. There really are a lot of names missing from this list--MARJANA SEMKINA (IAMTHEMORNING), the ladies from iNFiNiEN, The Moulettes, Elizabeth Fraser, Amy Darby, Elisabeth Pawelke (FAUN), Meg Baird (ESPERS), Suz Johansson (PINGVINORKESTERN), Anna von Hausswolff, Irma Orm (DEMEN), Amanda Rankin (AXON-NEURON), Marit Elisabeth Swendsboe (FUNIN), Elizabeth Heaton (MIDAS FALL), Petronella Nettermalm (PAATOS), Barbara Gaskin, Stella Vander & Isabella Feuillebois (MAGMA), Annette Peacock, Paule Kleynnaert & Amara Tahir (ESKATON), Lindsay Powell (GA'AN), Carolina Restuccia (FACTOR BURZACO), Tirill Mohn, Sandy Denny (FOTHERINGAY), Susie Bogdanowicz (GLASS HAMMER), Ileesha Bailey (KARDA ESTRA), Carolina Prieto (KOTEBEL), Ana Tores (UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA), Christina Booth (MAGENTA), Roselyne Berthet (NIL), Emila Derkowska (QUIDAM), Noa Gruman (SOUL ENEMA), Cheyenne Mize (UT GRET), and so many more!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Great call. There really are a lot of names missing from this list--MARJANA SEMKINA (IAMTHEMORNING), the ladies from iNFiNiEN, The Moulettes, Elizabeth Fraser, Amy Darby, Elisabeth Pawelke (FAUN), Meg Baird (ESPERS), Suz Johansson (PINGVINORKESTERN), Anna von Hausswolff, Irma Orm (DEMEN), Amanda Rankin (AXON-NEURON), Marit Elisabeth Swendsboe (FUNIN), Elizabeth Heaton (MIDAS FALL), Petronella Nettermalm (PAATOS), Barbara Gaskin, Stella Vander & Isabella Feuillebois (MAGMA), Annette Peacock, Paule Kleynnaert & Amara Tahir (ESKATON), Lindsay Powell (GA'AN), Carolina Restuccia (FACTOR BURZACO), Tirill Mohn, Sandy Denny (FOTHERINGAY), Susie Bogdanowicz (GLASS HAMMER), Ileesha Bailey (KARDA ESTRA), Carolina Prieto (KOTEBEL), Ana Tores (UNIVERSAL TOTEM ORCHESTRA), Christina Booth (MAGENTA), Roselyne Berthet (NIL), Emila Derkowska (QUIDAM), Noa Gruman (SOUL ENEMA), Cheyenne Mize (UT GRET), and so many more!

I'd need at least fifty slots in the poll to include all of those extra names. Wink
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 15:44
Kate Bush for me.......above all of them for me is Ann Wilson.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 00:08
AH
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 00:14
For her early albums it's got be Kate Bush. Truly remarkable voice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>