Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polish Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polish Prog
    Posted: January 23 2020 at 10:23
Hey, y'all! 

I'm fishin' for some prog recommendations from bands from Poland. 

Been listenin' to Collage, Albion, Quidam, Lizard, Tune, Retrospective, Jerzy Antzack, and Riverside/Lunatic Soul but never heard any Abraxas or other Polish bands. 

What're you're favorite albums or recommended albums from Polish prog bands?

Thanks!

Drew

Edited by BrufordFreak - January 23 2020 at 10:24
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 10:49
Admittedly, I don't have much (and am sorely lacking stuff from the 1970s) from Poland, but these were some albums I listened to in recent months that I liked that don't appear in your list:

Czyszy - Epic May
Lebowski - Cinematic
Lebowski - Galactica
Millenium - The Web
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Satellite - Into the Night
SBB - Memento z Banalnym Tryptykiem
Smash the Crash - PL Lady

Having a large branch of Polish ancestors on my mother's side, I ought to seek out more Polish prog.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:03
well, obviously BELIEVE, which I know you know.  Their last, "VII Widows", is their best but "yesterday is a Friend" is also fantastic

Mr Gil from Believe has done some good albums, all of them different

I'd add "Evening Games" and "Into the Night" as great Satellite albums, especially Evening Games.  Evening Games was actually on the rock charts in Poland at the time
Millenium's "Exist" is superb.  "Ego" is pretty good too
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:03
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Admittedly, I don't have much (and am sorely lacking stuff from the 1970s) from Poland, but these were some albums I listened to in recent months that I liked that don't appear in your list:

Czyszy - Epic May
Lebowski - Cinematic
Lebowski - Galactica
Millenium - The Web
Satellite - A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset
Satellite - Into the Night
SBB - Memento z Banalnym Tryptykiem
Smash the Crash - PL Lady

Having a large branch of Polish ancestors on my mother's side, I ought to seek out more Polish prog.

Thanks, Ken!
I have the two Lebowski and three Satellite albums (forgot they were from Poland!) and the SBB albums from the 1970s (and 2018), but I look forward to exploring the Czyszy, Millenium, and Smash the Crash albums. Thanks!
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:11
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

well, obviously BELIEVE, which I know you know.  Their last, "VII Widows", is their best but "yesterday is a Friend" is also fantastic

I'd add "Evening Games" and "Into the Night" as great Satellite albums, especially Evening Games.  Evening Games was actually on the rock charts in Poland at the time

Thanks, Ken! (What is this: a conspiracy of Ken-drid spirits? he-he)
 Of course I have all of Mirek Gil's projects since Collage and Satellite (I LOVE the more AOR I Want You to Get Back Home and Skellig) including all of the Believe albums. It turns out that I have heard both Ego and Exist--both solid prog contributions but I'd forgotten them so I'll be revisiting them. Thanks.

Any particular recommendations from Abraxas or Albion?
Drew Fisher
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:12
Prog in Polish is jazz. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Of course I have all of Mirek Gil's projects since Collage and Satellite (I LOVE the more AOR I Want You to Get Back Home and Skellig) including all of the Believe albums. It turns out that I have heard both Ego and Exist--both solid prog contributions but I'd forgotten them so I'll be revisiting them. Thanks.

haven't heard them. Anything you would recommend for lovers of Collage, Believe, Satellite?
Oh, and don't forget Mr Gil's "Light and Sound", which is all acoustic

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:55
Drew regarding SBB: if you can only have one album of theirs, which is downright silly because they’re brilliant..but still, then you need to get Karlstad. That thing is just über-orgasm territory. Hands down one of the greatest prog live albums to these ears. I’m sure John agrees with me (I miss the mellotron!)
Just something about the whole feel of the concert that literally jets out of the speakers.
Here it is over ze toob: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKlP6-Y25uM
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 13:32
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 13:42
Czeslaw Niemen, SBB, Anawa, Skaldowie, Quidam, Indukti, Lunatic Soul, Klan, Budka Suflera

Riverside if you like them. I'm not a fan. First two albums are good though

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 14:47
Hear this one build:

Evil soundz:

Jazzin’:

Rabbit people music:

Bisected parrots (FOR PAN HEADS ONLY):

The other ZZ top:

Edited by Mascodagama - January 23 2020 at 14:48
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 15:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Czeslaw Niemen
The man. Listening to Enigmatic now. What an album!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Drew regarding SBB: if you can only have one album of theirs, which is downright silly because they’re brilliant..but still, then you need to get Karlstad. That thing is just über-orgasm territory. Hands down one of the greatest prog live albums to these ears. I’m sure John agrees with me (I miss the mellotron!)
Just something about the whole feel of the concert that literally jets out of the speakers.
Here it is over ze toob: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKlP6-Y25uM

Thanks, David--I'm listening to it now as I type this. I can sense immediately that you are right about the sound--blasting straight out of the speakers!

More later!
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:26
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Czeslaw Niemen, SBB, Anawa, Skaldowie, Quidam, Indukti, Lunatic Soul, Klan, Budka Suflera

Riverside if you like them. I'm not a fan. First two albums are good though

Not a Riverside fan, either, other than Second Life Syndrome.

I don't know Anawa, Skaldowie, Klan, or Budka Suflera, so, thanks! Looks like I'll be busy for a while!
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:32

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

haven't heard them. Anything you would recommend for lovers of Collage, Believe, Satellite?
Oh, and don't forget Mr Gil's "Light and Sound", which is all acoustic

I am being blown away as I get to know Collage's Baznie,--it may be better, overall, than Moonlight. 
I love each of Satellite's first three albums--each for their own reasons.
Believe has a very consistent output, I got bored of their albums quickly except for Seven Widows--a true prog masterpiece that I enjoy every time one of their songs or the album comes up on my playlists.
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:36
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Here's a recommendation from me:

Big smile

Thanks for the suggestion and links. While I appreciate the skill and mastery it takes to create tech/metal, it is not my cup of tea. I need more spaciousness and melody. But, thanks, Tuzzy!
Drew Fisher
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 16:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Prog in Polish is jazz. Wink

Yes it is
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 18:38
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 00:39
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 15:13
I liked Organic Noises from last year:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>