Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the Red Krayola for RIO/Avant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Red Krayola for RIO/Avant
    Posted: January 25 2020 at 02:02
This will be my last suggestion (I promise). I should have suggest this band first place instead of Trumans.

Red Krayola has also been a big idol to postpunkers, but it´s also lot more: already 1967 they released their really underrated psyc-rock classic "Parable Of Arable Land" which I think is as great as V.U/Nico-album of the same year. But they went after that really avant direction, they recorded "Coconut Hotel" album, that record company refused to release (Drag City released it in -95) here it is:

So they have to record whole second album almost new, but it became also Avant-classic that I believe Beefheart listened before making Trout:

Band disbanned after that, frontman Mayo Thompson made solo album, them joined into "Art & Language" collective, who released an album (and those collaborative albums continued from the eighties to 2000`s). In 1979 Mayo put Red Krayola together again (although he was the only original member) & made this really great avant album:

Since those days Krayola has been active to 2010, making many really great albums, from the nineties their label has been Drag City.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 02:15
I love this band
I’ve been meaning to spin the debut quite a few times recently, but have been unsuccessful in actually finding it amongst the sea of music in my apartment. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and alphabetise the whole system...but then again it wouldn’t be so much fun searching for music. This way it’s like a haphazard adventure with Boney M, Faust, Wu-Tang Clan, Napalm Death and Henry Cow all standing shoulder to shoulder.

They’ve been suggested and rejected a couple of times before though. Here’s one time: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=87111
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 02:22
OK, didn´t know it was already suggested. Of course it´s great if somebody explains, why they´re not prog, because one reason to why I suggest them is specially that third album I put here has much prog elements (also many other albums, Maya has always had great drummers). So, pleeease, listen them at least bit before NO again!

Krayola sure is also my big, big favorites!

David, how many vinyls you got? I had a friend who had about 2000 and he really can´t find anything. I have something like over 1300 and they have been long, long time in alphabetical order (although I recognize most of my albums from their backings).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 02:31
I’m not entirely sure anymore. When I was younger I used to count my cds on a monthly basis but nowadays it’s basically a whole day of counting...which I’m not up for at all. Rather spend the day in a sunbeam by the window listening to music and smoking some weed...but that’s just me
I have way more cds than vinyls though..but roughly speaking? We’re talking over 5000 albums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 03:32
Oh God...I believe I wouldn´t find anything if I had as many (without a-order). I have put mine also into discogs, it was quite a work, but now easy when just add the ones I buy. But on the other hand I also have a friend who has 16 000 vinyls (half of them 7") and at least he claims he knows where the vinyls he have to find are.

Edited by Mortte - January 25 2020 at 03:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:44
It’s like an adventure every time I visit the shelves - let’s just put it like that
Some of the spots I generally memorise and small islands seem to appear, specific Krautrock albums or modern electronic ones that suddenly are next to each other...but yeah most of it is Bob Dylan then The Future Sound Of London then Embryo then Kim Larsen then Pharoah Sanders..and yeah you get the picture.
Some days I just pick albums at random. Close my eyes and I do what the good Dave Gahan once sang about: reach out and touch faith
Aside from very rarely being able to find anything this “system” does have it’s perks. For once I often come across albums I haven’t heard for years and it genuinely feels like I just got a new album in through the outdoor.
Ahem..also means that I occasionally have bought the same album twice ...but luckily I’ve got friends with ears!

- Douglas Adams
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:54
LOL I also remember one time with that friend of about 2000-albums, he picked some album and said "I didn´t remember I have this!". I think that 16 000 friend also had bought some album twice. I think I remember all my albums, but some I just can´t remember where I have bought them. Getting old is forgetting I guess.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:45
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

LOL I also remember one time with that friend of about 2000-albums, he picked some album and said "I didn´t remember I have this!". I think that 16 000 friend also had bought some album twice. I think I remember all my albums, but some I just can´t remember where I have bought them. Getting old is forgetting I guess.

I've bought several albums twice, I've bought one 3 times!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 12:14
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I've bought several albums twice, I've bought one 3 times!
So I guess you have at least as many of them as David? Well, I think it would have happen me too, but I have chosen that kind of professions, that are not paid well, so haven´t ever bought many albums in the same time.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 14:00
As Parable Of Arable Load and God Bless The Red Krayola were proto RIO (more like Rock In Reverse!) how about an inclusion in the proto prog sub genre?

Edited by SteveG - January 27 2020 at 05:25
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply