Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Neo-Prog Debut Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is the best Neo-Prog debut album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.50%]
1 [2.50%]
1 [2.50%]
2 [5.00%]
1 [2.50%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.50%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [27.50%]
3 [7.50%]
1 [2.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.50%]
1 [2.50%]
2 [5.00%]
2 [5.00%]
2 [5.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Neo-Prog Debut Album
    Posted: January 28 2020 at 13:58
The bands included in this poll represent the loosest chronological definition of Neo-Prog, meaning any modern  prog band that emerged from the 1980's onwards, before anyone castigates me for my selection of Neo-Prog bands. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 29 2020 at 06:00
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:03
Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear Tongue
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:04
^^ Uh -Oh, You're asking for it Paul. The Neo-prog police will be coming for you now!LOL

Edited by Argo2112 - January 28 2020 at 14:04
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:09
Astra is psychedelic space rock......from the list of true neo...either Marillion or IQ.
You have been 'castigated'.

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - January 28 2020 at 14:10
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:12
All of these I either haven't heard or am not a big fan of. I'll abstain.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:16
The Tangent. Marillion very close.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Astra is psychedelic space rock......from the list of true neo...either Marillion or IQ.

Wink
I only included Astra's  album so I could vote it, because I haven't heard most of the other debut albums in the poll. Smile

I wonder if anyone's noticed my deliberate spelling mistake yet? Wink
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:38
Out of the Neo-prog bands on the list, Marillion's is the best.  Unfortunately, I can't vote because too many of these are great albums by non Neo-prog bands, so its not really an accurate poll.  But since you knew ahead of time that you would be "castigated", you must have already known that.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Out of the Neo-prog bands on the list, Marillion's is the best.  Unfortunately, I can't vote because too many of these are great albums by non Neo-prog bands, so its not really an accurate poll.  But since you knew ahead of time that you would be "castigated", you must have already known that.

Yes, I knew from experience that not everyone would agree with my choice of Neo-Prog bands, but that's okay. It's all good fun. Smile 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:47
Paul, have you heard any of these albums on your list? No vote from me because Frost* Milliontown is missing.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 28 2020 at 14:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:50
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Paul, have you heard any of these albums on your list? No vote from me because Frost* Milliontown is missing.

I've heard of all of the artists in the poll, but the only album I've actually listened to and have in my prog collection is "The Weirding" by Astra, and that's the album I voted for. Smile

I don't generally listen to much prog from the modern era. All of the 88 albums I've reviewed so far are British classics from the late sixties and seventies era. Smile

I could include the  Frost* debut as a last-minute addition to the poll, but I'd have to remove an existing artist from the poll to create a space for it. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 28 2020 at 14:56
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 15:05
Wacko
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 15:24
Not a big fan of neo prog, and I must admit there are some albums here that I don't know, or not know them that well, so no vote from me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 15:44
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Not a big fan of neo prog, and I must admit there are some albums here that I don't know, or not know them that well, so no vote from me.

Not to worry. I've only heard one of the albums on this poll - by Astra - even though I created the poll. Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 16:57
I went for IQ, because it's a superb debut by a true neo-prog band. For All We Shared is wonderful (The Night Sky is one of my all time favourite tracks), but MA are not really neo-prog. I'm sorry that Out of Myself by Riverside isn't there. It's brilliant, but doesn't get the credit it deserves because the follow up (Second Life Syndrome) is even better.
SFAJT will win, but I've gone off it a bit and I prefer the 4 albums that came after.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 17:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink
I only included Astra's  album so I could vote it, because I haven't heard most of the other debut albums in the poll. Smile

I wonder if anyone's noticed my deliberate spelling mistake yet? Wink

Spocks 'Bread'...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 17:23
Marillion 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 18:58
Frank Zappa & TMoI - Freak Out
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:05
Marillion easily. The Flower Kings is symphonic incidentally. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 23:24
lol at some of the choices. 

MArillion 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>