Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going for the One vs Drama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which Of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [47.44%]
28 [35.90%]
11 [14.10%]
2 [2.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going for the One vs Drama
    Posted: March 01 2020 at 01:24
Lots of love for Going......... so clearly that one. 

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 01:01
It is a lot tighter than I thought it would be! Drama is better than Tormato...but still several magnitudes below GFTO. Still. That is subjective analysis for you...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 21:36
Both. I'm in the minority of loving Tormato and 90125 as well. After that they started diminishing in quality but every album still had a few great tracks until the very end at least

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 20:55
This was a very tough choice for me. In some ways Drama is better because it's a tighter album and it sounds stronger in some ways with more "balls." I have always thought musically it was one of their strongest. Going for the one almost falls apart at the seams in places and parallels suffers from a sparse sound due to Wakeman's poor choice of abandoning the synth for the organ. I also think turn of the century is a little flat although I like the instrumental section. However, in the end I still voted for GFTO mainly for "awaken." Wonderous stories and the title track though are two of the most underrated Yes songs in their catalog so that counts for something also. Another deciding factor for me is that Jon Anderson didn't sing on Drama. While Trevor Horn did a fine job on Drama I prefer Jon's singing.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 29 2020 at 20:56
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 19:36
Drama is ok...but, come on, GFTO is a freakin' classic!
The real poll should have been Tormato vs Drama (I'd vote Tormato)
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 15:43
Drama for me.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 16:22
Voted for Drama but these two albums aren't a big deal.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:37
When I was discovering late 70's Yes, both of these got a lot of spins and enjoyment.  Couldn't decide so i chose both.

But anyway, thanks for making me remember and think thru the comparison.
Z
oka2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oka2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:51
Both are very good, but Going for The One is slighty better.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:46
Drama. Is a better release than Tormato. But we are still in the third division of yes releases...division 1 is CTTE, TFTO, R and GFTO. Division 2 is F and TYA...
If anybody tells me they prefer any track off Drama to CTTE (track) AYAI, GOD , A , TOTC I would consider their taste to be somewhat west of symphonic prog and veering into being a more pop philic fan...
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:09
Drama definitely.   It's better at its game (IMO).

I find Going for the One somewhat too Anderson-oriented (in a manner that doesn't suit me) IMO heralding the Yes that would come later.

Wonderous Stories is what I best like there by far.

For me the highlights on Drama are: 'Machine Messiah', 'White car' and 'Into the Lens'.

PS: In the name of my username, thank you for all the compliments on this thread  Embarrassed

Wink

Edited by Machinemessiah - February 21 2020 at 12:12
Drama72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drama72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 12:00
Both great albums but Drama is my favourite by far. Still love GFTO.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 11:35
Don't know how the Cristi attribute disappeared from my last post.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 11:33

I've grown to dislike the title song though (Howe ruins the song for me) and Turn of the Century does nothing for me.

I don't skip any songs on Drama though.Big smile
[/QUOTE] Yeah, 'One always seemed to me the Achilles' heel of the production. Like it belonged on another album. As for Howe's role there, I don't see how he can ruin anything (he did do that bland Dylan album, though).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 09:29
Turn of tbe Century, sublime guitar work by howe. Don't remember anythimg as good on Drama. Machine Messiah has some good guitar...but nothing like Awaken 12 string solo...
Cristi View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 09:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Place drama above GFTO and your progdentials should be removed for perpetuity...

really? LOL

Yes!
Who so sayeth "I don't like Awaken" should be tarred and feathered and laughed out of prog-town...
Awaken has everything, except it should have been another 15 minutes longer..

I've never seen anyone say it here expressing dislike for Awaken.
I've grown to dislike the title song though (Howe ruins the song for me) and Turn of the Century does nothing for me.

I don't skip any songs on Drama though.Big smile
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 07:56
Got to admit tho. Not listened to Drama for 20 years....but that tells me I aint missing anything...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 07:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Place drama above GFTO and your progdentials should be removed for perpetuity...

really? LOL

Yes!
Who so sayeth "I don't like Awaken" should be tarred and feathered and laughed out of prog-town...
Awaken has everything, except it should have been another 15 minutes longer..

Edited by M27Barney - February 21 2020 at 07:51
Cristi View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 08:15

really? LOL

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 07:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>