Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going for the One vs Drama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which Of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [47.44%]
28 [35.90%]
11 [14.10%]
2 [2.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going for the One vs Drama
    Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:04
Two gems from Yes to choose from. Go!

Edited by Argo2112 - January 29 2020 at 11:06
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:06
Drama by far
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:30
I'm Going for the One and only one.  Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 11:35
Drama for sure
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:18
Going for the One, just a little bit more.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:26
'One was Wakeman's return, wasn't it? Of course, for that to happen meant putting Patrick Moraz on the shelf which was, sadly, no amiable split. So with Wakeman once again on board, 'One was epic. Drama was (is), unfortunately, a little goofy and ill-advised. Machine Messiah, the album's long player, unmercifully pummels the ears with a desperate Howe trying to breathe some listenability into it. And what more can be said about an album that is best represented by White Car, clocking in at a mere 1:21? As for the attached Buggles to the project, both jumped ship as one went on to a successful producing career while the other settled into a lengthy stint with that '80s band, Asia.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:33
Drama has improved with age (I love Machine Messiah) but surely Going for the One stands apart. Awaken alone has to put it ahead, but after that it's Turn of the Century, Parallels, Wonderous Stories etc. The last truly classic Yes album with anything like a classic line-up.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:44
It's strange, I would consider myself a big Yes fan, I LOVE their 60s albums (heard them after the prog classics), but I haven't ever gone past Gates of Delirium album. 

I have Going for the One on vinyl, and heard Tormato once or so but they've never sat with me.

I need to listen to an album 5-10 times before I can review it or form an unbiased opinion really.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

'One was Wakeman's return, wasn't it? Of course, for that to happen meant putting Patrick Moraz on the shelf which was, sadly, no amiable split. So with Wakeman once again on board, 'One was epic. Drama was (is), unfortunately, a little goofy and ill-advised. Machine Messiah, the album's long player, unmercifully pummels the ears with a desperate Howe trying to breathe some listenability into it. And what more can be said about an album that is best represented by White Car, clocking in at a mere 1:21? As for the attached Buggles to the project, both jumped ship as one went on to a successful producing career while the other settled into a lengthy stint with that '80s band, Asia.

Wow, that's a tough review. I hardly think  White Car was the highlight of Drama.  Does it Really Happen , Tempus Fugit & Machine Messiah are all solid Yes tracks featuring some of Chris Squires best bass work IMO. 

Edited by Argo2112 - January 29 2020 at 12:48
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:54
Definitely Drama. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 13:01
Going for the one with Awaken

Edited by digdug - January 29 2020 at 13:01
Prog On!
Timeaisis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timeaisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 13:03
Going for the One has Awaken on it, so it wins.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 14:30
Going for the One. Drama is not bad, but it has some weak points.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 18:11
Going for the one, no question.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 18:35
Both, equally. 

Wakeman's return! You get the incredible "Parallels" and one of their best epics, "Awaken." SCORE!

Then you get a rocked-up Yes delivering the goods with "Machine Messiah" and "Run Through the Light." Squire doesn't give you the easy way out and smashes you with an epic bassline in "Tempus Fugit." BOOM!

If you're a Yes fan, you like both. No ifs, ands, or buts.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 18:47
Originally posted by Timeaisis Timeaisis wrote:

Going for the One has Awaken on it, so it wins.

Yes exactly---but Parallels --Turn of the Century---Wonderous Stories and the title track are pretty good too.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 19:08
I like them both. Both have weak and strong points. For example, I can't stand the Going for the One song. The guitar solo at the end just drives me crazy. And the chorus in Drama's Into the Lens is unbearable to me. Just a couple of examples
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 19:59
Both are enjoyable and really good.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 00:38
Drama just because of it's uniqueness. GFTO has always felt a bit contrived to me. From Time and a Word through to Relayer they were a band that evolved. I don't hear that on GFTO although Parallels is a killer track and I rather like the wimsy of Wonderous Stories. The pipe organ of Awaken and Howe's acoustic guitar on TOTC are both beautiful. It definitely has its moments but I would rather listen to 5 or 6 other albums (Drama included) before it.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 02:55
These days, both equally. Very different albums, and GFTO has Awaken, but then Drama has Machine Messiah and Does it Really Happen.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>