Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going for the One vs Drama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which Of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
37 [47.44%]
28 [35.90%]
11 [14.10%]
2 [2.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:21
Originally posted by Timeaisis Timeaisis wrote:

Going for the One has Awaken on it, so it wins.

This.

Drama is great but GFTO is a classic.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:23
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

It's strange, I would consider myself a big Yes fan, I LOVE their 60s albums

The first 2 albums are great, but only the debut is really a 60s album (Time and a Word was released in 1970).
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:30
Tough choice. Surprised to find myself voting for Drama after listening to both again. I'm not a fan of Wakeman's digital keys. I missed the soaring synths of TFTO.
PROGMATIC
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 04:45
GFTO
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 06:05
Going for the One!

I like both albums, but GFTO has "Awaken" on it, which is one of the best tracks in the whole Yes discography, and hands down beats anything on Drama
Songs cast a light on you
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 06:13
Drama has more spins on the turntable, so that gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 22:11
Drama has Machine Messiah, but Going for the One has Turn of the Century, and even more important, Awaken, so...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Both, equally. 

Wakeman's return! You get the incredible "Parallels" and one of their best epics, "Awaken." SCORE!

Then you get a rocked-up Yes delivering the goods with "Machine Messiah" and "Run Through the Light." Squire doesn't give you the easy way out and smashes you with an epic bassline in "Tempus Fugit." BOOM!

If you're a Yes fan, you like both. No ifs, ands, or buts.

It's good to read someone apreciating Run through the Light... I actually like that song well enough. Usually, besides Machine Messiah, everyone praises Tempus Fugit (which has never done much for me), and always dismiss Run through the Light.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 22:58
GFTO = *****
Drama = ****

Guess where my vote goes.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 12:23
I went for 'both equally'.

I remember 'Going for the One' coming out.  I was about 13-14 and it was my first new Yes album.

I think the title track is the spiritual successor to 'Roundabout', and it's the last Yes song which makes my teeth move about. 

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 13:32
The first YES album I ever bought on vinyl was a compilation called "Classic Yes".

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 31 2020 at 13:34
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 01:45
^ that's one of the better compilations. I think I even bought it (although on CD) despite already owning most of the songs!

btw pleased to see that Drama is not getting caned in this poll .
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 02:35
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Drama has Machine Messiah, but Going for the One has Turn of the Century, and even more important, Awaken, so...

I do not know what I am missing (or something) but Turn of the Century does nothing for me.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 02:40
I'm a latecomer to Drama. But when I heard it, I was very impressed with the album, and quite surprised by how different it sounded. Actually, I'm so impressed with the album that I may even prefer it to Going for the One (and Tormato). But for this poll, I'll vote for "Both Equally".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Tough choice. Surprised to find myself voting for Drama after listening to both again. I'm not a fan of Wakeman's digital keys. I missed the soaring synths of TFTO.

I seriously doubt those are digital keys. You didn't really have digital until the 80's. 

Anyway, I can't really decide. I think Drama is maybe their strongest(or one of their strongest)musically speaking but GFTO has Jon on it. I'll have to think about it. Maybe a tie for me.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:13
Drama by miles for me. Even as a classic era Yes fan boi, GFTO never, ever "clicked", and always felt like a footnote album for me. The only thing I can compare it to is like, that last wave of new movies on VHS before DVD completely took over, lol. The end of an era, and a tad too late IMHO. Drama was a rebirth for Yes, and one I'm very fond of personally!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:18
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Going for the one, no question.

Aye.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 22:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do not know what I am missing (or something) but Turn of the Century does nothing for me.
Listen to it done live.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 23:07
^dont feel bad, awaken does nothing for me. In fact, I really just don’t like it.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 00:54
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^dont feel bad, awaken does nothing for me. In fact, I really just don’t like it.

Interesting. It does have an unusual structure but is very original. I love Rick Wakeman's contribution especially but it does go off on a bit of a wander at times and is deliberately enigmatic. It's reaching for something but what that is remains unclear. That's my summation. The whole album though lacks cohesion for me and I really hate the trebley production. Still waiting for the SW reissue if that ever happens 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>