Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Book The Musical Instruments of Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 09:11
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Great book chock block full of photos.
Do you have it? Smile
Did you enjoy it?

No I haven't got a copy myself yet.....I only flipped thru the pages of a copy from one of my colleague's bookshelves which i casually perusing about 2 weeks ago :). I'm planning to get a copy for Xmas or just after the Xmas break....a.s.a.p. Smile
That's great! Happy Xmas!
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2020 at 09:33

Great book chock block full of photos.
Do you have it? Smile
Did you enjoy it?

No I haven't got a copy myself yet.....I only flipped thru the pages of a copy from one of my colleague's bookshelves which i casually perusing about 2 weeks ago :). I'm planning to get a copy for Xmas or just after the Xmas break....a.s.a.p. Smile
That's great! Happy Xmas!

MERRY XMAS TO YOU AND FAMILY MAN  :):)
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:58
A new 5-stars review in Amazon for the book, which raises the total rating to 4.6 stars over 5 (all but one reviews and ratings gave the book 5 stars, the one exception being a 3-stars rating without comment).

The Spanish version continues with a total rating of 5 out of 5 (ALL the reviews and ratings have given it 5 stars).

"Great book, what I would have dreamed of reading 40 years ago!
Unique content, knowledgeable and entertaining, describes what you would have always wanted to know, after buying Melody Maker, Musical Express, Popular1..." 

Edited by Gerinski - January 10 2021 at 12:51
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 12:58
Yet another 5-stars rating (unfortunately without review) for the Spanish version, which maintains its total rating of 5 out of 5 after already 12 ratings!

The Englih version remains with a rating of 4.6 out of 5.

Which means that taking together both language versions, out of 21 ratings, 20 of them are 5-stars and 1 of 3-stars (unfortunately without review).

Edited by Gerinski - January 10 2021 at 13:07
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:57
Hi, just to inform those who might be interested, Amazon.es has reduced the price even further to 20.49 €
A good opportunity for those who can order to this Amazon portal.

Edited by Gerinski - January 21 2021 at 12:00
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:08
Another 5-stars review, this one for the Spanish version in the webpage of the FNAC store.
So far out of 22 ratings, 21 are 5-stars and 1 3-stars.

"An astonishing guide.

This work has surprised me in an exceptional way. I am not a musician, although I have lived indirectly linked to this profession for many years, so some of the instruments are quite familiar to me. However, I want to emphasize that having always been a fan of symphonic rock, reading this guide has been fascinating.
Not only because of the amount of anecdotes and curiosities that it gathers, but above all, because the author has managed to transport me to the stages where those works were performed with all these instruments, through an impressive collection of photographs, citing the most representative works, or even specifically , the exact song where a certain instrument model sounded. To me at least, simultaneously searching for those songs on YouTube and listeing to them, has unlocked countless memories of the past, making this reading not only entertaining and instructive, but highly rewarding. Highly recommended."

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 16:12
^ Yes, but does it have Ian Anderson playing the claghorn?

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 17:20
No it's only got 286 pages, not enough for everything! Smile
But sure enough Ian Anderson is featured!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 02:47
The latest issue of PROG Magazine (issue #117, february 2021) reviews the book:

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2021 at 12:55
None other than Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal of Sons of Apollo posted about my book in his Instagram page!!

Edited by Gerinski - March 27 2021 at 12:55
burgesssally787 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burgesssally787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 07:22

Just to share this info: For those of you who can order to the Spanish site of Amazon, Amazon.es, they are making a big discount offer for the book, in both the English and the Spanish versions.

Instead of the standard retail price of 30.00 € they are now listed at

English version: 15.97 €
Spanish version: 16.40 €

I don't know the reason, I guess they want to get rid of the stock they may have. 

oh I just found this information, it's a pity that now they are already at the usual price of 28.50 euros
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 13:57
Originally posted by burgesssally787 burgesssally787 wrote:

oh I just found this information, it's a pity that now they are already at the usual price of 28.50 euros
Yes too bad, that was a while ago...
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 10:56
Yet another 5-star review, thank you Andrew!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 02:36
Another 5 star review Smile

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 02:44
Totally forgot about this, and I'm totally ordering it!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 07:43
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Totally forgot about this, and I'm totally ordering it!
Oh that's great, thanks a lot! 
When you will have read it I would appreciate some feedback!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2021 at 13:23
Another 5-star review, this time from the US, thank you!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2021 at 13:38
"Brilliant, nostalgic, thorough and well researched". Another 5-star review!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2021 at 09:57
Another 5-star review, this one from Germany, thank you readers!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2021 at 05:12
Another 5-star review, this one from the US! 

Edited by Gerinski - May 24 2021 at 05:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>