Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Experiences kicking nicotine addictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gCairns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:21
I also have this addiction. I try to quit, but not successful yet. It's been five months already. I watched all those horrible videos, read a book and listened to podcasts. But it seems to me, I'll forget about all that soon. I'm now replacing the cigarettes with nicotine gums from the online pharmacy. Idk if I’ll go this way to the end, but I hope so.

Edited by gCairns - January 11 2022 at 04:02
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 06:36
And back we are on drugabuse.gov and addiction rather than habituation. 

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 08:06
I smoke long size Parliament Night Blue cigarettes. Since my 20s, I enjoyed tobaccos (mostly Drum, Golden Virginia and Captain Black's various products), but for about 3-4 years, I'm an addict. I enjoy smoking, so no problem for me here. 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 08:40
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I smoke long size Parliament Night Blue cigarettes. Since my 20s, I enjoyed tobaccos (mostly Drum, Golden Virginia and Captain Black's various products), but for about 3-4 years, I'm an addict. I enjoy smoking, so no problem for me here. 
I'm an ex-smoker with lung cancer, so now not smoking is 'no problem'. You'll get there some day.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 09:38
It took me 10 years on-off quitting. I havenīt had a smoke since November 2019, and I seldom miss it. Itīs only when I get pissed drunk that my craving for a smoke starts, but since that rarely happens these days, itīs only been an issue once in the last two years, and even then I didnīt give in to the temptation.

On topic, Iīve tried all sorts of nicotine substitudes, but really youīre just replacing one habit with another. In my opinion thereīs only one way...cold turkey. Maybe some therapy (it doesnīt need to be professional, maybe just talks with a friend) to motivate you when itīs getting hard.

Edited by UMUR - January 10 2022 at 09:41
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 10:15
One aspect of tobacco addiction that many do not know is that tobacco contains naturally occurring radioactive elements that are concentrated as well as some fertilizers that make it even more densely packed.

That means every smoke you take, you are ingesting radioactive elements! This is generally what causes lung cancer.

This is well known the scientific world.

So next time you want to smoke, just remind yourself that you are treating your body like a hazardous waste dumping ground!

Natural radioactivity contents in tobacco and radiation dose induced from smoking

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 10:50
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I'm an ex-smoker with lung cancer, so now not smoking is 'no problem'. You'll get there some day.

Increases the risk, for sure. But that is the only "certain" thing here.

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 10 2022 at 10:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:36

Cancer may not be a certainty but diminishing your quality of life and shortening your lifespan is all but guaranteed.

Tobacco smoke is a significant source of free radicals which are basically unstable electrons that destroy your DNA. Telomeres are the extemities of chromosomes and are sort of like a carbon copy machine that allows cells to divide and replaced the ones that die.

Free radicals destroy the transfer of information and thus allow undesirable mutations in cellular reproduction.

If you think you are not being affected by tobacco usage then you like countless others are deluding yourself.

Free-radical chemistry of cigarette smoke and its toxicological implications.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1568603/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 11:55
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Cancer may not be a certainty but diminishing your quality of life and shortening your lifespan is all but guaranteed.

Tobacco smoke is a significant source of free radicals which are basically unstable electrons that destroy your DNA. Telomeres are the extemities of chromosomes and are sort of like a carbon copy machine that allows cells to divide and replaced the ones that die.

Free radicals destroy the transfer of information and thus allow undesirable mutations in cellular reproduction.

If you think you are not being affected by tobacco usage then you like countless others are deluding yourself.

Free-radical chemistry of cigarette smoke and its toxicological implications.

I'm not deluding myself. I just enjoy smoking and take the risk. Reducing lifespan... That depends. One of our neighbours died at the age of 98, and she was smoking like a chimney. I can give many similar examples, and they would not be limited to tobaccos. Here's one: A woman, who was the oldest human being alive, celebrated her birthday with drinking cola: her favourite drink. We know what is said about coke, too. I believe we all have unique physical and psychological traits, and such effects vary according to those. Remember what some "experts" said about video games and how harmful they are for the kids. Today, their benefits are talked about more. I, for one, still benefit from the skills I gained in the arcades.

Back on topic, I never am short of breath even after walking for hours. I became an addict at the age of 36. So, I can know how it affects my body. No effects that I'm aware of, honestly.

BTW, the science used to say butter is extremely unhealthy in the '90s and early 2000s. Now, they say that it is extremely healthy if consumed properly.

I also consume too much instant coffee. Science says it is like a "poison", too.

My body, my decision, my free choice to take the risk. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 13:21
^ definitely agree that it's your body and your choice. I'm not here to judge anybody for making their own decisions as long as it is informed consent.

Science can basically be broke down into two distinct categories:

1) the scientific method which yields results that are able to be replicated, questioned and scrutinized AND

2) scientism, which is blind faith in any claimed results from the so-called masters of this religion

Regarding the effects of smoking, they are detrimental and that is without a sliver of controversy

Regarding any old timer that lived a long age as a smoker.

How do you know they wouldn't have lived longer, healthier or happier if they had not smoked at all?

Keep in mind in the last several decades that the pollution has grown at an exponential rate and therefore such effects of tobacco are compounded by negative synergistic effects.

I have a friend who smokes a pack a day, drank vodka every day and smokes pot for decades. She showed no effects at all and then suddenly EVERYTHING in her body gave out and now she's the most miserable person i've ever encountered.

Your carbon-based meat suit is like an edifice that can sustain damage for a period of time before one day the remaining pillar gives way allowing the entire thing to collapse.

Only chiming in on this thread because it causes me great pain to see so many suffer the effects of something that is so easily avoided.

And YES, instant coffee is not healthy either but nothing in comparison to radioactive tobacco!

Wishing you health and prosperity  and hope you escape these likely eventualities :)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 13:47
^ Thank you, dude. For your informative posts and well wishes.

Radioactive tobacco... I loved that! NukeBig smile

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 10 2022 at 13:47
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 14:06
Radioactive Tobacco - sounds like a good name for a band (I'll file that one in case I ever form a band so no one else can nick it) Smile
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 15:20
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Radioactive Tobacco - sounds like a good name for a band (I'll file that one in case I ever form a band so no one else can nick it) Smile

LOL

Reminds me of this song!

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2022 at 15:34
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Only chiming in on this thread because it causes me great pain to see so many suffer the effects of something that is so easily avoided.
There is nothing that is healthy, anymore. Breathing air in a big city can cause lung cancer, the water we drink has lead, pathogens, and many other chemicals not good for us (even bottled water), fruits and vegetables are bad for us (salmonella, E. Coli); as well as fish (mercury, polluted waters) and meats (given antibiotics, high in saturated fats, toxins). Organic foods and meats are not much better and some spices we use are full of heavy metals. We can't avoid any of these things. Life is tough. Getting COVID is also easily avoided if you get vaccinated - but people don't. Do the 5.5 million people that died from COVID, so far, cause you great pain?? 

Back on topic. It's tough to kick any habit. I'm still a occasional smoker. 

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 10 2022 at 15:50
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 10:31

Sorry to hear that. Kind of you to share in hopes of helping others.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2022 at 13:25
I kicked the habit a number of times, but I am happy to be an ex-smoker since 2002.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345