FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lost Licks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost Licks
    Posted: February 10 2020 at 09:42
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

This is pretty well known, but The Revealing Science of God by Yes had a ~2 minute intro that was cut from the original record and restored for the CD release. I heard the extended version first, so I prefer it with the ambient intro, but I know there are others who don't like it.

I may have imagined this but I'm pretty sure the bass solo on Ritual on the last version of TFTO has an extra few bars towards the end - can anyone confirm?

I really enjoy the SW versions of YES but he screwed the pooch with "Ritual" and you hit the nail on the head as to why...
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 15:34
in A Visit to Newport Hospital by Egg, you can mute the left and right tracks and hear different organ solos. It's absolutely amazing. Give it a go if you like this song and want to hear alternate solos.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 11:53
The original release of Waves by Jade Warrior began with a bit of ambient sound preceding the big wave coming over which was edited out for the sake of space for the Elements collection. I understand it was restored in the single album Eroc-mastered version. I have the original lp release and Elements.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 05:17

This is pretty well known, but The Revealing Science of God by Yes had a ~2 minute intro that was cut from the original record and restored for the CD release. I heard the extended version first, so I prefer it with the ambient intro, but I know there are others who don't like it.

I may have imagined this but I'm pretty sure the bass solo on Ritual on the last version of TFTO has an extra few bars towards the end - can anyone confirm?

Just checked and you are absolutely correct - for anyone with the new version, the extra measures start at 12:45.

Coming to think of it, I think The Revealing Science Of God on the new Steve Wilson remix also has some measures added (right before Jon sings "And through the rhythm") - just an extra repeat of the arpeggiated guitar figure if I recall correctly.

I guess they must have had to do quite a bit of editing to fit each song on a side of vinyl - I don't blame Wilson for either missing a few edits or just leaving those extra bits in.
Thanks for checking, my sanity is safe for the moment.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 12:36

Just checked and you are absolutely correct - for anyone with the new version, the extra measures start at 12:45.

Coming to think of it, I think The Revealing Science Of God on the new Steve Wilson remix also has some measures added (right before Jon sings "And through the rhythm") - just an extra repeat of the arpeggiated guitar figure if I recall correctly.

I guess they must have had to do quite a bit of editing to fit each song on a side of vinyl - I don't blame Wilson for either missing a few edits or just leaving those extra bits in.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 07:23

Edited by chopper - February 02 2020 at 07:23
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 02:23
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The remastered version of Voyage of the Acolyte, <span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Shadow of the Hierophant has the final section extended to the original length it was intended, but it really does not add much to the overall meaning of the song.</span>
I love extension...makes the track a proper prog in your face, pompous and bombastic...hell yeah...If every re-release had extension I would buy them all again...

Edited by M27Barney - February 02 2020 at 02:24
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:48
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So I was just listening to the S. Wilson mix of ELP's Living Sin when I noticed some previously unheard licks that were obviously cut from the original release.

See Below
At around the 2:10 mark there is a cool extension that's been "reinserted"

What other tracks are you aware of that have had missing sections restored??

It wasn't Steven Wilson ( he only did the first 2 ELP albums) but interesting nevertheless. A much overlooked ELP track that deserves more attention.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 18:07
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So I was just listening to the S. Wilson mix of ELP's Living Sin when I noticed some previously unheard licks that were obviously cut from the original release.

See Below

That's neat, never heard this version before. Emerson's avowed inspiration for the track was Black Dog by Led Zep
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 13:02
The last cd version I bought(and still have)of Grobschnitt's solar music live has an extended section that wasn't on the previous cd version I had(which itself sounded extended). It just goes on and on. Probably the best live album most prog fans never heard.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The version I first heard of Tales was a cassette tape version in the mid eighties or so which started with the chant("dawn of light...."). That is the version I prefer.

Myself as well!  I have a friend who thinks the same way, and he burned me a CD of the remastered TFTO and edited out the ambient fluff at the beginning.  It is a much more dramatic introduction to Revealing Science of God.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 12:26
The remastered version of Voyage of the Acolyte, Shadow of the Hierophant has the final section extended to the original length it was intended, but it really does not add much to the overall meaning of the song.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 11:51
The version I first heard of Tales was a cassette tape version in the mid eighties or so which started with the chant("dawn of light...."). That is the version I prefer.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 11:49

Jethro Tull's A Passion Play had an entire verse cut out near the beginning of the second side (during The Foot Of Our Stairs, right before the instrumental break); it was restored in the Steven Wilson remix. It gives the instrumental section a bit more context as a variation of that verse, but I don't think it really adds too much to the song.
Starts at 1:50

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 08:20

See Below

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply