New Releases January 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Releases January 2020
    Posted: March 13 2020 at 10:58
Cthulu Rise - Last

Really good, wish it was longer.

TWSS
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 11:56
These lists are a great service. Thank you. There are a few I am definitely interested in. 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams was released on CD in December 2019 according to Discogs and Amazon.
Genesis - The Lost Radio Recordings was released in January 2020, but is an unofficial release, so it's questionable as to whether it should be added.  I tend to leave those off the list.
ELP - Wheeling West Virginia, The 1977 Broadcast was also released in Jan of 2020, but is also unofficial.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate when anyone tells me about something that may have been missed.  I always check out any suggestions, so don't be afraid to post them.  I do miss things, so it is helpful.

Thank you richardh

Yeah I was going by Amazon UK for the TD release date (31.1.20) but the US site has an earlier date.

I'm interested in how you check whether something is unofficial. Admittedly I don't know the record labels those 2 albums were released on. I guess Amazon doesn't care whether they are unofficial?

Subtitled 'The Lost Radio Recordings', this unofficial CD collects recordings that Genesis made for the BBC between 1970 and 1972 and which have so far remained unpublished on physical media. - Papermoon

Also noted on Discogs.

See https://www.lasercd.com/cd/wheeling-west-virginia-2cd where is says the ELP live CD is a bootleg, this is also noted on Discogs.

I find the information from various sources.

Bootlegs can be official though.

there is also the added problem that albums can be correctly licenced for release in one country but not another. For instance ELP's Live In Poland was licenced for release only in Poland with the organiser of the gig but he went back on the agreement and it was made available globally. In general it's a very complicated issue I suspect. 

While it is true that bootlegs can be official, both of those albums are unofficial according to discogs first of all and the secondary websites verifiy that.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2020 at 00:24

Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams was released on CD in December 2019 according to Discogs and Amazon.
Genesis - The Lost Radio Recordings was released in January 2020, but is an unofficial release, so it's questionable as to whether it should be added.  I tend to leave those off the list.
ELP - Wheeling West Virginia, The 1977 Broadcast was also released in Jan of 2020, but is also unofficial.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate when anyone tells me about something that may have been missed.  I always check out any suggestions, so don't be afraid to post them.  I do miss things, so it is helpful.

Thank you richardh

Yeah I was going by Amazon UK for the TD release date (31.1.20) but the US site has an earlier date.

I'm interested in how you check whether something is unofficial. Admittedly I don't know the record labels those 2 albums were released on. I guess Amazon doesn't care whether they are unofficial?

Subtitled 'The Lost Radio Recordings', this unofficial CD collects recordings that Genesis made for the BBC between 1970 and 1972 and which have so far remained unpublished on physical media. - Papermoon

Also noted on Discogs.

See https://www.lasercd.com/cd/wheeling-west-virginia-2cd where is says the ELP live CD is a bootleg, this is also noted on Discogs.

Bootlegs can be official though.

there is also the added problem that albums can be correctly licenced for release in one country but not another. For instance ELP's Live In Poland was licenced for release only in Poland with the organiser of the gig but he went back on the agreement and it was made available globally. In general it's a very complicated issue I suspect. 

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 09:06

Thank you richardh

Also noted on Discogs.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 08:54
^added

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 22:02
New Squarepusher that i just added

Released 31 Jan 2020

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 03 2020 at 22:03

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

One of these days I might finally understand why a list of last months releases is posted at the beginning of a new month. Tongue

Ahhh yes, it would be great to have a new release list for the month ahead.  I only make this list to summarize what was released in the previous month, but it also helps me catch some of those new releases that were somehow missed on the Archives during the previous month.  Maybe someone with more time could do one of those lists, but the problem is, it would never be complete as many times, release dates are tentative and some self-released albums don't have release dates, they just appear when the artist wants them to.

Thanks for explaining. Are you familiar with the new prog releases blog? They often announce upcoming prog releases. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/p/2019.html

Yes, I often look there to verify releases and catch up on releases.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:24

One of these days I might finally understand why a list of last months releases is posted at the beginning of a new month. Tongue

Ahhh yes, it would be great to have a new release list for the month ahead.  I only make this list to summarize what was released in the previous month, but it also helps me catch some of those new releases that were somehow missed on the Archives during the previous month.  Maybe someone with more time could do one of those lists, but the problem is, it would never be complete as many times, release dates are tentative and some self-released albums don't have release dates, they just appear when the artist wants them to.

Thanks for explaining. Are you familiar with the new prog releases blog? They often announce upcoming prog releases. http://newprogreleases.blogspot.com/p/2019.html
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

According to Discogs OOIOO nijimusi was released on 10 oct 2019 on CD in japan and 2020 digitally
it says it was an advanced release in japan only
should we change the release date to 2019?

https://www.discogs.com/OOIOO-Nijimusi/release/14265497

I noticed that too but I couldn't verify it anywhere else, so I put (US) in parent.....parenthes..... in those thingys.

Changed the release date, but I'll leave it on this list because most people weren't able to hear it until now, and it will maybe get put on AOTY list for 2020.

Edited by TCat - February 04 2020 at 08:55

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 19:15
According to Discogs OOIOO nijimusi was released on 10 oct 2019 on CD in japan and 2020 digitally
it says it was an advanced release in japan only
should we change the release date to 2019?

https://www.discogs.com/OOIOO-Nijimusi/release/14265497

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 03 2020 at 19:16

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 18:43
You always make my day better with these lists. Many albums I didn't know about, so thank you very much, once again.

Edited by Manuel - February 03 2020 at 18:43
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:25
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

OOIOO released Nijimusi in January. 

Good catch.  It wasn't even entered in their discography yet in PA.  I will add it to the list and to PA right now.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 00:35
OOIOO released Nijimusi in January. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 00:19

Thank you richardh

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 09:10

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 09:05

Thank you richardh

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:44
Also I think should be added to the list:

Genesis - The Lost Radio Recordings (BBC sessions 1970-1972)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Wheeling , West Virginia, The 1977 Broadcast (2 CD)

Edited by richardh - February 02 2020 at 00:45
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:40
The Sons Of Apollo album is excellent. I've just received Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams . Not on the list but I think that may be a January release. Didn't know about the Dave Kerzner or In Continuum releases so will certainly check those out.
Thanks
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 00:13
I just listened that Os Mutantes new album. As the reviewer in PA, I was really disappointed of it. Really sounding it has made cheap, but most of the songs are also really mediocre. I quite have liked their two earlier albums after their reunion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>