Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starless and Bible Black: Have At It!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2020 at 20:21
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Excellent album, one of the best in the KC discog. After the eclectic and creative nature of this masterpiece collection of tracks, follow up album, "Red' seemed like an album from a band that had run out of ideas and direction.

I think you got it backwards

Nope. "Red" has all the tedious repetitive tracks with the big heavy stadium rock sound that pointed toward this band's creative demise, "Starless and Bible Black" had the eclectic and imperfect creativity that displayed a band willing to take creative risks, a band still very much alive.

Disagree. SABB was the clue that they were running out of steam. With that true, Red is an excellent bookend to that era of King Crimson, with "Starless" being the penultimate King Crimson track for that era. SABB is a hodge podge of songs, of which thankfully the title was extrapolated into something legitimate.

With that said, SABB feels like a stop over or a rest stop in the discography. Give me what came before and what came after any day.

<span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">

Excellent album, one of the best in the KC discog. After the eclectic and creative nature of this masterpiece collection of tracks, follow up album, "Red' seemed like an album from a band that had run out of ideas and direction.
 </span><br style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><br style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">I think you got it backwards
 </span><br style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Nope. "Red" has all the tedious repetitive tracks with the big heavy stadium rock sound that pointed toward this band's creative demise, "Starless and Bible Black" had the eclectic and imperfect creativity that displayed a band willing to take creative risks, a band still very much alive.
 </span><br style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><br style="line-height: 16.5455px;"><span style="line-height: 16.5455px;">I think red has something very important that starless tends to lack: songs. They are pretty much playing math rock on the title track, fallen angel and starless are perfect prog classics and one more red nightmare is just a damn cool song. Providence is more in line with SABB but it gets there towards the end.
</span><div style="line-height: 16.5455px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.5455px;">Exactly.
Exactly the opposite. Easy Money said it quite right.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 11:57
My favourite of the mid 70's trilogy.

Can't give you a rational explanation.  I liked that it wasn't all hard-edged and angular.

Though I love side two, tracks like 'Trio' and 'Night Watch' are real faves. 

Years later when I got into classical I was gobsmacked when I realised David Cross was channeling Vaughn Williams, 'Thomas tallis' and 'The Lark Ascending'.

Or 'ripping off'. Whichever.

Edited by Braka1 - February 07 2020 at 11:58

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12