Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback of my last piece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Dvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback of my last piece
    Posted: February 04 2020 at 16:29
https://voca.ro/79RIO2j77ES
I have added flutes for the firsth time, i need some feedback
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2020 at 11:42
Originally posted by Dan Dvo Dan Dvo wrote:

https://voca.ro/79RIO2j77ES
I have added flutes for the firsth time, i need some feedback

Overall not bad, but there's a serious intonation issue: the guitar is out of tune with both itself and the flutes [recorders?], which are also out of tune with themselves.

Well composed though, and a decent amateur mix.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Overall not bad, but there's a serious intonation issue: the guitar is out of tune with both itself and the flutes [recorders?], which are also out of tune with themselves.

Well composed though, and a decent amateur mix.  

Enjoyable ... but for my tastes I'm not sure that the intonation thing is an issue ... if Frank Zappa did this, you know it was intentional, and everyone would think it was just fine.

I don't like (I'm a writer/poet/reviews) to edit and change things too much ... it loses its character and the touch from that first day ... so my mind thinks that the intonation issue is just a sort of children coming together, and it sounds great ... the thing is, we like to say that children don't know music and are silly ... and I am not one of those folks ... I take those children and go play more music with them, and get them to find an innate feel for music that feels "right" ... instead of wrong ... so they can develop it further.

Thus, for me, that first moment of the vision is the valuable one that helps define that whole thing and changing it only starts erasing that moment and the clarity that helped bring it about ... so I won't discuss the professional/amateur side of it, and Atavachron's suggestion might be right on the money ... maybe the loudness of each particular instrument can be cleaned up a bit, but it doesn't help me love things that intentionally misuse intonation to confuse your ear ... for example I like Robert Wyatt because he is the biggest and oldest kid I have ever heard in music! AND, folks here will not read his book, that has one of the best quotes about any musician out there ... RW is playing with Syd Barrett and someone approaches RW and asks him what key Syd was playing in ... and RW says ... "he doesn't know the keys! He just plays!" ... and we still do not know what that means ... for Syd and other a lot of the music might not have been about the intonation and the notes ... but about the feeling and its story and how to color that child's book ... that we have forgotten how to do!

These days, when I hear the early FZ material, I think I'm hearing a lot of things that are not tuned as they should, and I imagine that FZ knew that, and continued on ... and this may have been a problem on stage, but I think he really wanted to find what worked and what didn't.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 12:40
I like the composition, and actually like the unpolished and off-key feel. Would I clean it up a bit, well, yeah, but not if it meant losing all of that off-kilter feel. It sounds like a good demo version.

Edited by Logan - February 06 2020 at 12:41
Just a fanboy passin' through.
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 13:27
Pretty cool. I'm on the side of 'cleaning things up a bit' - I like microtonal stuff in some non-western music (which sound off key to western ears used to the equal temperament system) , but I don't quite think this is it. But compositionally it is cool. Waiting on the album now Smile
Dan Dvo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Dvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 15:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like the composition, and actually like the unpolished and off-key feel. Would I clean it up a bit, well, yeah, but not if it meant losing all of that off-kilter feel. It sounds like a good demo version.

thank you bery much, how do you think you would clean up, i now its sound strange in some part, maybe when the guitar enters, but i dont know hot to doit exactly

The flutes is a new thing i learning, maybe i will recorded again with more quality
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 15:47
Originally posted by Dan Dvo Dan Dvo wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

thank you bery much, how do you think you would clean up, i now its sound strange in some part, maybe when the guitar enters, but i dont know hot to doit exactly

The flutes is a new thing i learning, maybe i will recorded again with more quality

Mostly working on the tone and precision of the flute -- some more practice or some audio trickery. It's not that easy an instrument to get a really good sound out of, but for someone who is quite new to it, great job.

Edited by Logan - February 06 2020 at 15:50
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dan Dvo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Dvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 06:18
Originally posted by handwrist handwrist wrote:

Pretty cool. I'm on the side of 'cleaning things up a bit' - I like microtonal stuff in some non-western music (which sound off key to western ears used to the equal temperament system) , but I don't quite think this is it. But compositionally it is cool. Waiting on the album now Smile

thank you very much, its comig soon, i promiseTongue
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 08:23
I'd seriously lose the flutes until you can play them as well as other instruments. Also try playing legato, instead of staccato. Longer notes with some phrasing. 

I'm a woodwind player, incidentally. 

Post Reply Post Reply