Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas vs Styx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer? Styx or Kansas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [73.02%]
7 [11.11%]
1 [1.59%]
9 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 13:20

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 13:24
Glad that's over with. ;) 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:02
I can safely say I don't start these polls so that two people will argue and fight endlessly about these kinds of things. Good discussion I value but unnecessary taunting and insults that would make most five year olds uncomfortable is not really something that I think is valued on this site. In the future just ignore the negative comments. I struggle with it too sometimes but if we keep it up then we can no longer say crap about the progressive ears website. ;) Glad to see this prog sandbox fight has finally come to a conclusion though. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 15 2020 at 14:04
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can safely say I don't start these polls so that two people will argue and fight endlessly about these kinds of things. Good discussion I value but unnecessary taunting and insults that would make most five year olds uncomfortable is not really something that I think is valued on this site. In the future just ignore the negative comments. I struggle with it too but if we keep it up then we can no longer say crap about the progressive ears website. ;)
Good god man, if it wasn't for me arguing with this clown, or discussing bands other than Styx or Kansas, or discussing who is prog or not, this poll would have stopped at 3 pages total.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:10

I can safely say I don't start these polls so that two people will argue and fight endlessly about these kinds of things. Good discussion I value but unnecessary taunting and insults that would make most five year olds uncomfortable is not really something that I think is valued on this site. In the future just ignore the negative comments. I struggle with it too sometimes but if we keep it up then we can no longer say crap about the progressive ears website. ;) Glad to see this prog sandbox fight has finally come to a conclusion though. Wink

Worry not. Cooler heads always prevail. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I can safely say I don't start these polls so that two people will argue and fight endlessly about these kinds of things. Good discussion I value but unnecessary taunting and insults that would make most five year olds uncomfortable is not really something that I think is valued on this site. In the future just ignore the negative comments. I struggle with it too but if we keep it up then we can no longer say crap about the progressive ears website. ;)
Good god man, if it wasn't for me arguing with this clown, or discussing bands other than Styx or Kansas, or discussing who is prog or not, this poll would have stopped at 3 pages total.

Actually no, the arguing didn't really start until page 9.  But if you think he's a clown then why argue with him? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:17
The guy obviously has a short fuse.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:22
Okay, let's get this thread back on track. I missed this:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

The question is, which band has the lowest lows? Edge of the century and Kilroy by Styx are pretty bad, but Kansas wasn’t doing much of note in the 80s either.

Styx. Easily. Kansas has never recorded anything that plumbs the septic depths of Kilroy Was Here. That's what can happen (not always, but it's always a possibility) when a band self-produces their (concept) album. Dreck like "Don't Let It End" and "Heavy Metal Poisoning" is what caused Styx to fall out of favor with all but their most loyal fans.

(And if you've heard James Young's solo albums, you already know who the worst songwriter in the band is!)

OTOH, Kansas' most underrated albums (Power, In the Spirit of Things, Freaks of Nature) have many fine songs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Well, looking back in the thread I can tell that you both bait people.  You with posting my Foreigner quote and him with the Monty Python thing and that's just the stuff in response to things I said. Put the two together and you have the prog equivalent of Ali vs Frasier. For me personally I just shrug it off(or at least try to). If something is meant to be a joke or not mean spirited then use an emoji to convey that otherwise try to stay away from snarky and otherwise unnecessary comments. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:27

Well, looking back in the thread I can tell that you both bait people.  You with posting my Foreigner quote and him with the Monty Python thing and that's just the stuff in response to things I said. Put the two together and you have the prog equivalent of Ali vs Frasier. For me personally I just shrug it off(or at least try to).

This is clearly turning into pot meet kettle. There's friendly ribbing, as Logan pointed out in his response to you in the dark prog thread, and then there's passive-aggressive name-calling. There is a difference.

If something is meant to be a joke or not mean spirited then use an emoji to convey that otherwise try to stay away from snarky and otherwise unnecessary comments. 

I do. And I did exactly that in the instance you just pointed out. Go back and look.

The reason I showed you the Foreigneer quote is because you had waved a few other posts through but chose mine to reply to. I thought little of it beyond that. I don't take things on this forum personally.

Edited by verslibre - February 15 2020 at 14:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:39

Well, looking back in the thread I can tell that you both bait people.  You with posting my Foreigner quote and him with the Monty Python thing and that's just the stuff in response to things I said. Put the two together and you have the prog equivalent of Ali vs Frasier. For me personally I just shrug it off(or at least try to).

This is clearly turning into pot meet kettle. There's friendly ribbing, as Logan pointed out in his response to you in the dark prog thread, and then there's passive-aggressive name-calling. There is a difference.

If something is meant to be a joke or not mean spirited then use an emoji to convey that otherwise try to stay away from snarky and otherwise unnecessary comments. 

I do. And I did exactly that in the instance you just pointed out. Go back and look.

The reason I showed you the Foreigneer quote is because you had waved a few other posts through but chose mine to reply to. I thought little of it beyond that. I don't take things on this forum personally.

I was directing that Foreigner thing to anyone who kept it up not just you. Yours just happened to be the comment before mine.

Anyway, I could say pot vs kettle about you too with this recent one on here. If you don't take things personal on here then you wouldn't get into arguments and fights with people on here that go on for two pages. The bottom line is you never know how to react to people sometimes(especially when no emojis are used) and we all have this sense of pride. I didn't get too carried aweay with Logan's post unlike you and Steve here. I'm not a moderator on here but nonetheless I started this poll so feel I should say something here. In the future just take your own advice and go with the "ribbing." Don't take it so personal(I'll do the same thing and so should Steve). Anyway, that's it. There's no need to turn this into another two page argument(not my intent). Just try to keep an eye on your end of things. You can control yourself but not others(that goes for everyone). That's it. I'm done.

Anyway, the thread is now closed.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 15 2020 at 14:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011