Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Kate Bush Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Kate Bush album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [12.90%]
1 [3.23%]
4 [12.90%]
10 [32.26%]
7 [22.58%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Kate Bush Album
    Posted: February 07 2020 at 17:03
I must admit, I wasn't a big fan of Kate Bush when I first heard "Wuthering Heights", but then along came "Hounds of Love" and "Running Up That Hill" and  "Cloudbusting" and I was hooked for life. Smile

Kate must be about due for another album release any time soon. It's been nine long years since her last album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 17:13
I became an instant fan when as a youngster I first saw the music video for "The Man With the Child in His Eyes". The debut album still means the most to me. I like all of them, although I suppose The Red Shoes not as much as earlier works.

Incidentally, The Sensual World was much better than I expected, found it when it was still a recent album on cassette in the bargain bin for maybe two dollars.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 17:25
Hi,

I like all the albums and they all have wonderful things in it ... but in my heart and mind, the best album of them all is 50 WORDS FOR SNOW, where we get to see Kate's "flow" and "stream of consciousness" flow, almost completely without the SONG FORMAT ... a free form sort of music, that stands out huge in ability and design ... it is by far one of the greatest albums in 2011 that I have EVER heard.

I would love to see PA folks have a stronger and better attitude towards albums that are so different and experimental (for lack of a better word) in its nature ... and I think that KB was looking to flow on her words, and not worry about anything else ... and as such, this is massive ... no one else in "Progressive" anything has really done that so well.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 18:30
I have to say "Hounds of Love" as this was my first exposure to her music way back when it first came out.  But it was my gateway drug to the rest of her awesome catalog.  I actually liked the 2nd side of the album the most, however.  "Aerial" has become my 2nd favorite.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 18:47
The Dreaming - top 5 album of all time for me. Absolutely haunting and unique. I like all of her albums, I'd probably put Never For Ever on 2, which doesn't have votes yet. On The Sensual World I'm with Logan, underrated album.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 19:26
Tough one to decide since I find myself very often playing cuts from The Dreaming, The Sensual World, Aerial, and 50 Words for Snow. Heck! I've even been playing "Delius/Blow Away" and "The Seventh Wave" lately. 

I've always rated The Dreaming as one of my highest overall rated albums but my heart says The Sensual World with its Eberhard Weber, David Gilmour, and Bulgarian choir contributions that pulls most strongly at my heart.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 22:00
I really have always loved all of her albums (even 50 Words is really great album) but the Kick Inside has always been my favorite! Maybe Director´s Cut should have left out, because there are just new versions from the part songs of Sensual World & Red Shoes. After that Red Shoes is my least favorite.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 22:03
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Kate must be about due for another album release any time soon. It's been nine long years since her last album.
When we are talking about Kate, it´s always possible she never will do anything again. She had those concerts, they could have been her farewell concerts. But of course I also hope she will do something, 40 Words was just so great album! I believe you also have fascinating "Before the Dawn"?
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 00:48
I'd rate Kate's albums in the following order:-
1. Aerial
2. 50 Words for Snow
3. Hounds of Love
4. Director's Cut
5. The Sensual World
6. The Red Shoes
7. Never for Ever
8. Lionheart
9. The Kick Inside
10. The Dreaming

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 01:21
Hounds Of Love , not just for The Ninth Wave but also for the beautiful 'pop' songs on Side One. There was a re-issue that even pulled together a third side of previously unreleased stuff including My Lagan Love among other things. Worth searching for.

After that The Dreaming and Aerial are other highlights. I am also lucky enough to have the 1980 live CD at Hammersmith Odeon that features versions of the her classic songs from the first couple of albums. 
Sensual World and Never Forever are also great. Even The Red Shoes deserves a mention for Moments Of Pleasure if nothing else. She is a genius and sits alongside the likes of Vangelis and Mike Oldfield for sheer creativity in my book.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 01:39
My Kate-album order:
1. the Kick Inside
2. the Dreaming
3. Never For Ever
4. Lionheart
5. Hounds Of Love
6. Aerial
7. 40 Words Of Snow
8. the Sensual World
9. the Red Shoes
10. Director´s Cut
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 01:57
The Kick Inside is not just my favourite KB album it is my favourite album, all artists, all genres. With Lionheart a very close second, again KB and generally, then Never For Ever.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 08 2020 at 01:58
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 02:03
Worth mentioning that the orchestral and musical arranger Andrew Powell was very important on her first couple of releases. I doubt they would have been as good without his influence. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 06:14
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

My Kate-album order:
1. the Kick Inside
2. the Dreaming
3. Never For Ever
4. Lionheart
5. Hounds Of Love
6. Aerial
7. 40 Words Of Snow
8. the Sensual World
9. the Red Shoes
10. Director´s Cut
Your Kate Bush album preferences are almost the polar opposite of mine. The first four albums at the top of your list are at the bottom of my list. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 08 2020 at 06:21
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 06:17
Ah for me The Dreaming got me into her.  Hounds of Love cemented my love for her music. Going back to explore Never For Ever was a delight.  Her first two just never clicked with me.  But I was hooked forever.  Got VHS videos. Kept up with her after Hounds.  Hounds takes me back to both a really happy place in my life and some dark places that followed.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 08 2020 at 06:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 06:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

My Kate-album order:
1. the Kick Inside
2. the Dreaming
3. Never For Ever
4. Lionheart
5. Hounds Of Love
6. Aerial
7. 40 Words Of Snow
8. the Sensual World
9. the Red Shoes
10. Director´s Cut
Your Kate Bush album preferences are almost the polar opposite of mine. The first four albums at the top of your list are at the bottom of my list. Smile
Smile I noticed same thing. Well, at least Director´s Cut is not highest in your list and Aerial is quite high on my list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 07:06
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Ah for me The Dreaming got me into her.  Hounds of Love cemented my love for her music. Going back to explore Never For Ever was a delight.  Her first two just never clicked with me.  But I was hooked forever.  Got VHS videos. Kept up with her after Hounds.  Hounds takes me back to both a really happy place in my life and some dark places that followed.

It was the opposite way 'round for me. The Dreaming album put me off Kate Bush, but then I heard The Hounds of Love album, and I've been a fan ever since. Smile
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 08:05
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The Dreaming - top 5 album of all time for me. Absolutely haunting and unique. I like all of her albums, I'd probably put Never For Ever on 2, which doesn't have votes yet. On The Sensual World I'm with Logan, underrated album.

ThisClap. The Dreaming is Kate's most genuinely progressive album, and it also features my all-time favourite song by her, "Pull Out the Pin". On the other hand, all of her albums are good or better, even the usually low-rated The Red Shoes. Kate's worst song would be a masterpiece for many other bands and artists.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 08:30
My faves:

1. 50 Words for Snow 
2. This Sensual World 
3. Hounds of Love
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 09:17
She's never made a weak album.

It's a tough choice but my vote goes to Never Forever. The album is very nostalgic for me, and is just an eclectic collection of very well written songs. The Dreaming is quite dark, and probably her most progressive work, although parts leave me cold. Hounds of Love is joint second with the debut. The Ninth Wave is my favourite KB work overall.

Honourable mention for Aerial, though. A great comeback album, although for me she never really went away.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>