Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saga vs Triumph

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [46.15%]
11 [28.21%]
4 [10.26%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 20:38
Saga is a pretty good group, but c'mon people. This is Trumph. Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite. Ditto the vocals... and the songwriting. Completely different leagues here.

Saga may get more mentions as being prog-ish, but that shouldn't mean they get an automatic vote, even on this site.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 21:09
Wow, I never heard of Streetheart. I have heard of Chiliwack and April Wine though.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 02:04
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Saga is a pretty good group, but c'mon people. This is Trumph. Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite. Ditto the vocals... and the songwriting. Completely different leagues here.

let's not overdo it, please...ShockedWink

He's quite good, and will probably scrape the bottom the top 100, but never approach the top 98TongueWink

Saga may get more mentions as being prog-ish, but that shouldn't mean they get an automatic vote, even on this site.

TBH, "we" (youngs dudes in Hogtown) thought they were a little "fagotty" and certainly didn't understand how they were huge in Germany

===================

BTW, for those who would doubt of the veracity of all these bands (including Rush) playing high schools in Toronto during the 70's, please see Rik Emmett's testimony at 3'30"
(later on, at the 7-mins mark, they speak of Rush opening doors in which they crashed through)

I also saw bands like CANO, Goddo, Webster, Trooper, Teaze Moxy, Zon, FM, Triumph, Streetheart and plenty others that never made it to a first album.
Oddly enough, the Toronto punk scene (Diodes and Viletones) was never able to get on the circuit (Viletones frontman was called Nazyi Dog and stabbed himself on stage, drawing blood), while other bands simply hit it elsewhere  like Pat Travers Band >> UK and Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (Texas and stuff), so they were never around
was not able to play in the HS
Going to a french-speaking HS (from 75 to78), there were also Québécois bands touring the circuit (but Harmonium and Beau Dommage were already too big at the time) as well and we also had Aquarelle, Morse Code, Conventum, Séguin and a few others.

Edited by Sean Trane - February 09 2020 at 03:00
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 02:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Wow, I never heard of Streetheart. I have heard of Chiliwack and April Wine though.

Streetheart:
These guys where from Winnipeg (where The Guess Who and BTO - Bachman Turning Overweight - were from)  or Saskatchewan (where nobody else but them came from LOL), and three of them ended up in Vancouver's Loverboy

Here is them in 79, but by that time, both guitarist Dean and drummer Frenette were already gone (bassist Sinnaeve would join a few years later)

All of the material here is from their second album and The two guys gone did take away from the power from the band.

Just like Triumph, this is teen stuff that hasn't really aged all that well. Almost cringe-inducing and amateurish nowadays PinchLOL

===============

Chilliwack, on tne other hand evolved out the great proto-prog bands The Collectors (66-69) and their first two albums (70-71) are terrific lazy psych-prog stuff laced with Amerindian influences (the reason why they're here)...

Then they became a cruddy AOR-Countryish band by the mid-70's. Dead

Edited by Sean Trane - February 09 2020 at 03:58
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 03:29
Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite , I fully agree with this opinion Rik Emmett is that good, you need to listen to his shorter pieces  like finger talking to see how brilliant he is Clap 

triumph finger talking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ciYapqp4 ( I hope I'm allowed to post links if not please delete it) Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - February 09 2020 at 03:41
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 05:46

Sure Rik is good, but I'm pretty sure Ian can keep up with him.
Shake & bake.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

He's quite good, and will probably scrape the bottom the top 100, but never approach the top 98TongueWink

Saga
may get more mentions as being prog-ish, but that shouldn't mean they
get an automatic vote, even on this site.

TBH, "we" (youngs dudes in Hogtown) thought they were a little "fagotty" and certainly didn't understand how they were huge in Germany

===================

BTW, for those who would doubt of the veracity of all these bands (including Rush) playing high schools in Toronto during the 70's, please see Rik Emmett's testimony at 3'30"
(later on, at the 7-mins mark, they speak of Rush opening doors in which they crashed through)

I also saw bands like CANO, Goddo, Webster, Trooper, Teaze Moxy, Zon, FM, Triumph, Streetheart and plenty others that never made it to a first album.
Oddly enough, the Toronto punk scene (Diodes and Viletones) was never able to get on the circuit (Viletones frontman was called Nazyi Dog and stabbed himself on stage, drawing blood), while other bands simply hit it elsewhere  like Pat Travers Band >> UK and Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush (Texas and stuff), so they were never around
was not able to play in the HS
Going to a french-speaking HS (from 75 to78), there were also Québécois bands touring the circuit (but Harmonium and Beau Dommage were already too big at the time) as well and we also had Aquarelle, Morse Code, Conventum, Séguin and a few others.

All anyone who doubts Emmet's greatness, and versatility, ever need do is listen to side 2 of Thunder Seven. Not only does he play far and away the best hard rock of his era (as well as most any before or since), he shreds the blues like nobody's business, and just kills it on classical as well. Hell, he was finger tapping better than EVH as far back as '78. Lots of guitarists are rightfully famous for their individual sound...but Emmett does it all and does it all at the highest possible level. He was never just a niche player. Overall, few can get anywhere near him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 08:35
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Rik Emmett is easily one of the greatest guitarists EVER... truly elite , I fully agree with this opinion Rik Emmett is that good, you need to listen to his shorter pieces  like finger talking to see how brilliant he is Clap 

triumph finger talking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1ciYapqp4 ( I hope I'm allowed to post links if not please delete it) Tongue

The only Triumph I think I ever owned was progressions of power(on cassette)so I remember finger talking. Anyway, you know Rik is good if he can hang with Steve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh1JcI3lDxE
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 11:22
Saga
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:23
Triumph have got absolutely nothing at all to do with prog. They are a hard rock band.

digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 06:13
as someone above said

Triumph is not really prog related at all.  They are more a Hair Metal band.  I like a lot of their songs.

Saga is poppy prog and I also like an equal number of songs.

I will vote both
Prog On!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 07:07
Never cared for Saga and Triumph was a favorite as a teen, so Triumph gets the vote. 

Triumph has a dash of prog here and there (Blinding Light Show / Moonchild is awesome) in their earlier music but even I think including them here as prog-related is a stretch. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 08:31
Prog related is a stretch for either band imho....2 mediocre hard rock bands.

I'll hide while their fans throw stones at me,,,,
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 10:48
Wow, the prog snobs are out at full force now. ;) Saying Saga aren't even prog related(when they are listed here as crossover). Jeesh. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 18:12

As far as lead vocalist (with vocals of his caliber) and lead guitar (ditto) in one package go, Rik trounces a lot of other guys. He's the consummate guitarist who explored other styles following his time in Triumph. He's excellent on acoustic, as well.

IMO, he'd rank much higher than "#99" in the Top 100 combos. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 18:13
And I voted both, mainly because while I like Saga a lot, I'm not down-voting Triumph for them. Were it Rush, it would be different.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 07:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

As far as lead vocalist (with vocals of his caliber) and lead guitar (ditto) in one package go, Rik trounces a lot of other guys. He's the consummate guitarist who explored other styles following his time in Triumph. He's excellent on acoustic, as well.

Rik is a classic example of an underrated guitarist when it comes to those "top guitarists" lists. He doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:39
I first heard of Saga in the late 70's. Back then they would fit in with other bands that were not AOR, they had that sense of progness to the music and lyrics, nothing they did fit the FM radio format.

I bought Images At Twilight because of the album cover and they had songs that were part of "chapters"....This is what you did when you walked into a record store and flipped thru bins reading covers. So much of what I bought was do to artwork, not flowers but of fantasy looking stuff.

The music on that album really was excellent, the band sounded really tight and the lyrics told stories. Silent Night came out and same thing, although by then I knew what to expect. Worlds Apart blew up the FM dial 100% due to MTV, hence they became popular, but only for 2 songs....No Regrets and No Strangers would never fit FM or MTV.

Back then in the late 70s it had nothing to do with prog or sounding prog, that is only because today we beat our heads to categorize music in silos, today everything must have a place...."get off my lawn!!" Saga was making music before all this craziness started, most of the people that liked Saga also liked Rush, Yes, PF even Nektar...as well as they liked Boston, Styx, Kansas.

I also love Triumph, to me different music styles, Triumph was hard driving rock/metal. And yes one of the most amazing guitarist in hard rock music, I saw Triumph a couple times in the 80's and Rik was head and shoulders above most. I saw Saga once in '83-'84 don't remember, wish I would have seen them more.

I chose both, for very different reasons. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:42
Quite unfamiliar with both...own 4 or 5 Saga but haven't listened much. I do not own and haven't listened to any Triumph since my teenage years.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Rik is a classic example of an underrated guitarist when it comes to those "top guitarists" lists. He doesn't nearly get the credit he deserves.

Every bit the lead guitarist that the celebrated EVH is, only Rik can also jam on acoustic! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>