Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saga vs Triumph

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [46.15%]
11 [28.21%]
4 [10.26%]
2 [5.13%]
4 [10.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 15:16
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I first heard of Saga in the late 70's. Back then they would fit in with other bands that were not AOR, they had that sense of progness to the music and lyrics, nothing they did fit the FM radio format.

I bought Images At Twilight because of the album cover and they had songs that were part of "chapters"....This is what you did when you walked into a record store and flipped thru bins reading covers. So much of what I bought was do to artwork, not flowers but of fantasy looking stuff.

The music on that album really was excellent, the band sounded really tight and the lyrics told stories. Silent Night came out and same thing, although by then I knew what to expect. Worlds Apart blew up the FM dial 100% due to MTV, hence they became popular, but only for 2 songs....No Regrets and No Strangers would never fit FM or MTV.

Back then in the late 70s it had nothing to do with prog or sounding prog, that is only because today we beat our heads to categorize music in silos, today everything must have a place...."get off my lawn!!" Saga was making music before all this craziness started, most of the people that liked Saga also liked Rush, Yes, PF even Nektar...as well as they liked Boston, Styx, Kansas.

I also love Triumph, to me different music styles, Triumph was hard driving rock/metal. And yes one of the most amazing guitarist in hard rock music, I saw Triumph a couple times in the 80's and Rik was head and shoulders above most. I saw Saga once in '83-'84 don't remember, wish I would have seen them more.

I chose both, for very different reasons.

I first got Heads or Tales on tape, then went back and (!!!) put in a special order for Images at Twilight on CD, because, as you say, that's how we did it back then! And the Wherehouse actually procured the CD for me, which was the Bel Aire pressing that was circulating at the time.

If you got Phase One, you got "Hangman," which was left off the album, and a better, tougher version of "Mouse in a Maze," too.

Tony Roberts' paintings were used for both Images and Silent Knight, and to this day, they remain the best covers on any of Saga's albums. IMO, Silent Knight is their best album. It's got more of an edge than the previous two albums, and feels exactly like crossover prog as we call it today. Lots of fantastic instrumental interplay, fueled by Moog synths!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 15:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I first heard of Saga in the late 70's. Back then they would fit in with other bands that were not AOR, they had that sense of progness to the music and lyrics, nothing they did fit the FM radio format.

I bought Images At Twilight because of the album cover and they had songs that were part of "chapters"....This is what you did when you walked into a record store and flipped thru bins reading covers. So much of what I bought was do to artwork, not flowers but of fantasy looking stuff.

The music on that album really was excellent, the band sounded really tight and the lyrics told stories. Silent Night came out and same thing, although by then I knew what to expect. Worlds Apart blew up the FM dial 100% due to MTV, hence they became popular, but only for 2 songs....No Regrets and No Strangers would never fit FM or MTV.

Back then in the late 70s it had nothing to do with prog or sounding prog, that is only because today we beat our heads to categorize music in silos, today everything must have a place...."get off my lawn!!" Saga was making music before all this craziness started, most of the people that liked Saga also liked Rush, Yes, PF even Nektar...as well as they liked Boston, Styx, Kansas.

I also love Triumph, to me different music styles, Triumph was hard driving rock/metal. And yes one of the most amazing guitarist in hard rock music, I saw Triumph a couple times in the 80's and Rik was head and shoulders above most. I saw Saga once in '83-'84 don't remember, wish I would have seen them more.

I chose both, for very different reasons.

I first got Heads or Tales on tape, then went back and (!!!) put in a special order for Images at Twilight on CD, because, as you say, that's how we did it back then! And the Wherehouse actually procured the CD for me, which was the Bel Aire pressing that was circulating at the time.

If you got Phase One, you got "Hangman," which was left off the album, and a better, tougher version of "Mouse in a Maze," too.

Tony Roberts' paintings were used for both Images and Silent Knight, and to this day, they remain the best covers on any of Saga's albums. IMO, Silent Knight is their best album. It's got more of an edge than the previous two albums, and feels exactly like crossover prog as we call it today. Lots of fantastic instrumental interplay, fueled by Moog synths!

See your spot on with "Lots of fantastic instrumental interplay, fueled by Moog synths!"  That CD version, by CD resell standards, is a spendy one now, I think...It's not a $2-$5 CD, I think like $15.
My Images LP i bought at Tower Records Import section, although it is a Canadian print Wink, but still worth about $20 now, probably paid $5.99 in 1981-82.
Don't Be Late (Chpt 2) is excellent!!
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 11:41
I was so gob-smacked the first time I saw this poll that I didn't even comment. Now, I simply MUST say something!

I was stunned to find out Triumph had any sort of presence on PA. Yes, Rik Emmett is a fabulous guitar player and vocalist, and they came up with a few great songs. But Prog-Related? Triumph always seemed to me to be more of a beer-drinking, girl-chasing bar band than something even remotely Prog-Related. If Triumph is Prog-Related, then so is Boston.

SAGA, on the other hand, while far more keyboard-oriented is emphatically prog and in my personal Big Six. As good as Rik Emmett is, I would put Ian Crichton right up there with him every day! Even if we ignore what the band sounded like, Saga (like Rush) were far more SERIOUS about their music/lyrics. Can you imagine Triumph doing an album like Generation 13? And while (like Rush) Saga have "lightened up" over time, the only real comparison with Triumph is country of origin.

All that being said, I would pay good money for an album of Rik Emmett/Alex Lifeson or Ian Crichton guitar duets!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 16:05
Wow. I don't even remember doing this one. I think I did a Procol Harum vs Saga poll also. Lol.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:11
There's "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" but options can't please all people, so I say that I know Saga very well and like them a lot, and I don't know Triumph and from what I read I don't miss knowing them that much. Will still vote for Saga just to be unfair to Triumph. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

There's "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" but options can't please all people, so I say that I know Saga very well and like them a lot, and I don't know Triumph and from what I read I don't miss knowing them that much. Will still vote for Saga just to be unfair to Triumph. Tongue

Why not vote "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" if that is the case. I would rather have someone not vote at all if they aren't going to play by the rules. You are basically admitting to me here that you are deliberately breaking the rules of the poll. Not cool.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 05 2023 at 17:18
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:54
Just a Game by Triumph is a fantastic rock album. But that and maybe Allied Force would be all I need to satisfy my Triumph listening experience. The first four Saga albums are the bulk of my Saga listening though I have heard and liked some of the later stuff. I voted for Saga.

Edit to add: Apparently, I had already votes for Saga.

Edited by mathman0806 - May 05 2023 at 17:57
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:28
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Just a Game by Triumph is a fantastic rock album. But that and maybe Allied Force would be all I need to satisfy my Triumph listening experience.

I recommend giving Thunder Seven a revisit because Side B contains some of the best music of their career, and without a doubt their two best instrumentals.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:36
Neither.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Neither.

Tonight, you're on the loose! Never surrender!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 18:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Why not vote "I don't know both bands well enough to vote" if that is the case. I would rather have someone not vote at all if they aren't going to play by the rules. You are basically admitting to me here that you are deliberately breaking the rules of the poll. Not cool.

I just misunderstood the option, I thought it means I don't know either band. Stupid me. There was no rulebook though, just options, and I liked the Saga one.  Some people like it if somebody votes in their three year old poll with comment, but fair enough we're not all the same...

Edited by Lewian - May 05 2023 at 18:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 19:02

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I just misunderstood the option, I thought it means I don't know either band. Stupid me. There was no rulebook though, just options, and I liked the Saga one.  Some people like it if somebody votes in their three year old poll with comment, but fair enough we're not all the same...

Well, if you misunderstood it I can't really blame you for that other than your misunderstanding. In this day and age it's easy enough to look up a band you don't know (like Triumph for example) on youtube though.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 03:27
It seems Triumph gets judged all-too-much for their later stuff (the NS/T7 stuff) that was nearing the hair-metal genre, and not on the base of their early two/three albums. Stern Smile

Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I was stunned to find out Triumph had any sort of presence on PA. Yes, Rik Emmett is a fabulous guitar player and vocalist, and they came up with a few great songs. But Prog-Related? Triumph always seemed to me to be more of a beer-drinking, girl-chasing bar band than something even remotely Prog-Related. If Triumph is Prog-Related, then so is Boston.

SAGA, on the other hand, while far more keyboard-oriented is emphatically prog and in my personal Big Six. As good as Rik Emmett is, I would put Ian Crichton right up there with him every day! Even if we ignore what the band sounded like, Saga (like Rush) were far more SERIOUS about their music/lyrics. Can you imagine Triumph doing an album like Generation 13? And while (like Rush) Saga have "lightened up" over time, the only real comparison with Triumph is country of origin.

Well, yes, at one point, Triumph decided to part way from their original stance (their first two albums) and certainly achieved that with success. If Triumph had done another three albums in the line of RnR Machine and theur debut (and achieved the same commercial success they had), they'd probably be remembered differently than their near-Hair-metal MTV videoclips. 

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Just a Game by Triumph is a fantastic rock album. But that and maybe Allied Force would be all I need to satisfy my Triumph listening experience.

Yes, Triumph always had that friday-night-fun-girl-chasing RnR side (not only musical, but also lyrics), but they also had a more profound side, that usually showed both musically and in terms of lyrics... Difficult to adapt the lyrics of Whole Lotta Rosie type of lyrics on Close To The Edge type of music. LOL

I might have written this in my reviews, but Just A Game was a game-changer for the band and they clearly explain it in the opening track called Movin' On. Genesis did the same with Down and Out on And Then There Were Three.  I'd say both bands realized the music scene was changing and had to do something about it. Rush basically did the same as well with Spirit Of Radio ... all three did that in 78/9, I believe.

======================

Soooo, I'd say that if all you heard (or care to hear) from Triumph is Just A Game and Allied Forces, you're missing 100% of the point of their prog-related inclusion. Emmett's guitar playing is hardly the only reason.

Now I agree that three or four epics over a whole career might be a little too few (but did Zep or Doors have more?)  to qualify here, but there are worse offenders. (Oingo Boingo, The Church or XTC, for ex).
Just looking at who else is in the list as Prog-Related, I'd say that once you know their first two albums, they fit much better than many others included for whatever reasons.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 06 2023 at 03:32
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 09:43
Heard quite some Triumph in the 80s, but they were never high on my lists of preference. Saga, on the contrary, were and still are.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 09:51
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It seems Triumph gets judged all-too-much for their later stuff (the NS/T7 stuff) that was nearing the hair-metal genre, and not on the base of their early two/three albums. Stern Smile

Confused Never Surrender and Thunder Seven don't sound remotely like hair metal.

Go listen to Faster Pussycat and Madam X. That's hair metal.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:20
Triumph!   Especially Rik Emmett penned songs. 
When Rik sings, my ears ring blue bells... tintinnabulate...bong!
Let me lay it on the line...tintinnabulate...Triumphs' got the magic power 
Tintinnabulate....how they jingle, jangle, twinkle on the hour....Tintinnabulate...
Spellbound....Emmett pounds...heavy metal bells...Tintinnabulate...
Mellow thunder seven bells....swell ding, and tinkle...
Tintinnabulate... sprinkles Rik's leads ring and sink syncopation
Rang Triumph's spell cast over aural oblation... ting, swing
I Ching, bells swell, cha-ching, ding-dong....ring, ring, ring:
Hold on, someone's out there...Tintinnabulate...tintinnabulate...tintinnabulation. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - May 06 2023 at 12:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 11:33
I voted for Triumph if for no other reason than to make up for that fact that someone voted for Saga without even knowing Triumph. Wink
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 12:26
Huge fan of Rock And Roll Machine I mean as far as albums go I would take it over anything by Saga. Saga had some killer songs though. Still this Triumph trio were incredibly talented musicians and studio wizards too.
Voted Triumph.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123