Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman “The Red Planet"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman “The Red Planet"
    Posted: February 11 2020 at 09:56
Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble Return To Prog On New Album “The Red Planet”

Keyboard Legend Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble will be releasing “The Red Planet” on April 3, 2020. The album features 8 newly composed pieces, especially for this project, and harks back to Wakeman's critically acclaimed debut album “The Six Wives of Henry VIII” where there were 6 heavy keyboard pieces based around a central subject matter. It is a serious return to “Wakeman Prog”...

Rick has blown the dust off his favourite analogue keyboards and along with his with the latest keyboards, has used the same formula he devised when making his legendary albums “The Six Wive's of Henry VIII” and “Criminal Record.” 

Upon being asked about the expectations of his Prog Fans, that they are hoping he will have shoved the “Prog Fader” up to 11, he replied, “That could be a problem.... as it's already at 14!!!”

The first 1,000 units of vinyl come in 180-gram red double vinyl, signed and numbered, in a special “Pop-Up” album cover. The first 2,000 units of the CD edition signed and numbered, in a special “Pop-Up” CD album cover. These collectors items are sure to sell out quickly, fans are advised to pre-order to avoid disappointment, or worst still buy copies from auction sites.

The English Rock Ensemble (ERE) features:
Rick Wakeman - Keyboards
Dave Colquhoun- Guitars
Lee Pomeroy - Bass
Ash Soan - Drums

Produced by Rick Wakeman and Erik Jordan  

This is the first release on the newly formed R&D MultiMedia, which is a transatlantic partnership between music business veteran and long time Wakeman sidekick Rob Ayling and rock journalist and producer Doug Harr.

To pre-order Rick Wakeman's “The Red Planet” and other special offers: www.musicglue.com/rick-wakeman-the-red-planet

Play Back event package: https://www.musicglue.com/rick-wakeman-the-red-planet/products/star-vice-admiral-star-playback-event-at-the-national-space-centre-with-bag-of-goodies-signed-event-programme-and-signed-cd-slash-dvd

Rick Wakeman's official website: www.rwcc.com 

R&D Media: www.RNDmultimedia.com

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 1-828-350-8158 (US), [email protected]  

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 12:59
Autobuy for me. (Rick Wakeman is God.)  Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:13

glassonyonpr, why don't you post in the press releases section where it will get a lot more views?

Just saying...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 08:20

I'm interested! But I don't find any info on the album track list or of the contents of the DVD.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 07:36
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I'm interested! But I don't find any info on the album track list or of the contents of the DVD.

Hi,

I have to be honest here ... I have seen RW twice (the TFTO tour in the Long Beach Arena before he quit) and then the recent tour he did with Anderson. In both cases he was phenomenal, and his ability is not EVER to be questioned, or doubted.

For my tastes, however, and this is the case with several of his solo albums, it felt like it was too much "soloing" and not enough music ... like it was all about his hands, not the other players inclusion in the work at all ... and I did not enjoy this ... while there were some nice bits and pieces, it still felt ... apart ... from the rest. AND, of course, done on a different synthesizer to help hide that new part, so to speak.

Of all the folks I would like to hear, a new album by RW is not necessary for me ... except one thing ... if he sat down, and did a whole bunch of piano concertos instead of his synthesizer staging with 15 instruments, I would be much more interested ... I kinda call it ... is RW as good if we unplug him ... he is, but he doesn't really show this on the stage as much ... the "famous" bit and "solo" is more important than the very notes that created them, and my thoughts are that he can not make those notes shine without the synthesizer ... which I find sad.

The difference ... you can tell that Keith Emerson, created "Tarkus" on the piano, and then they colored it for the stage and album. I doubt that RW has done something similar for his band mates, that likely just let him do as he pleased to make it sound good ... and he did very well and far out ... but if he was to sit at your home on a regular piano, I seriously doubt he could go through 5 minutes of CTTE ... and I find this sad ... I would love to hear a solo/acoustic version of CTTE ... but I wonder if he does not wish to play the stuff he didn't "create".

I will likely listen to this ... and probably enjoy it ... but I am not sure I will buy it ... we'll see ... and if it is "good" and "better" ... I will be the first person to stand up and applaud!

Edited by moshkito - February 29 2020 at 07:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 02:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... if he sat down, and did a whole bunch of piano concertos instead of his synthesizer staging with 15 instruments, I would be much more interested ... I kinda call it ... is RW as good if we unplug him ... he is, but he doesn't really show this on the stage as much ... the "famous" bit and "solo" is more important than the very notes that created them, and my thoughts are that he can not make those notes shine without the synthesizer ... which I find sad.

Actually, that is exactly what he HAS been doing A LOT of. He has a whole bunch of piano albums out, both live and studio.

For me, piano albums are boring. I am thrilled that he will return to a full band setup.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 11:41

Actually, that is exactly what he HAS been doing A LOT of. He has a whole bunch of piano albums out, both live and studio.

For me, piano albums are boring. I am thrilled that he will return to a full band setup.

Hi,

Sad to hear that you think so ... even Rachel Flowers showed us how great a composer Keith Emerson was and some of the things he did with ELP ... piano, guitar ... it doesn't matter which instrument it is ... if it is good, it will shine regardless ... but saying/thinking that a Keith Jarrett, or many of the great piano players out there ... are boring ... is a bit unusual and strange.

Music has life ... I would imagine that you have chosen things that are not acoustic instead!

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2020 at 11:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 02:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Sad to hear that you think so ... even Rachel Flowers showed us how great a composer Keith Emerson was and some of the things he did with ELP ... piano, guitar ... it doesn't matter which instrument it is ... if it is good, it will shine regardless ... but saying/thinking that a Keith Jarrett, or many of the great piano players out there ... are boring ... is a bit unusual and strange.

Music has life ... I would imagine that you have chosen things that are not acoustic instead!

Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh there. I love the piano. But I am more excited about music featuring a full band with drums, bass, guitar, and lots of different keyboards. The point I was making was that Rick Wakeman has done a lot of piano recordings, so if that is what you like the most then there is a lot of it for you to enjoy. Personally, I am a lot more excited about Rick's return to progressive rock!

Keith Emerson was indeed a great composer and amazing player, I am a huge fan of his. Also in his case I prefer the stuff he did with Lake and Palmer over his solo piano performances.

Post Reply Post Reply