Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sole Survivors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which band leader do you like best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [25.49%]
1 [1.96%]
2 [3.92%]
1 [1.96%]
18 [35.29%]
12 [23.53%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.88%]
1 [1.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 07:51
Ian for me, like him as a person really much! Dave, Robert & Christian are also great!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 10:35
Fripp.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 07:42
Latimer by miles. He's not only a brilliant guitarist, flautist and composer, but a truly wonderful human being. And as we saw at the RAH, he's still very much on form despite his desperate health issues.
I've never liked Fripp's music or guitar style at all; Anderson was great but has totally lost his voice and should call it a day.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 10:27
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Latimer by miles. He's not only a brilliant guitarist, flautist and composer, but a truly wonderful human being. And as we saw at the RAH, he's still very much on form despite his desperate health issues.
I've never liked Fripp's music or guitar style at all; Anderson was great but has totally lost his voice and should call it a day.

I was beginning to think I'm the only PA member who isn't a big fan of King Crimson. Smile
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 12:29
Dave Cousins 
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 15:49
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Dave Cousins 

That's a very good choice. I saw him in concert recently and got to chat to him, and he really is an astonishing musician and composer, who has written some of the most wonderful songs ever recorded in many different styles.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 16:12
Yeah, Dave certainly qualifies. I just forgot all about them and never was sure if he was the only surving member like the others but it turns out he was. I actually saw Strawbs(technically they aren't "the Strawbs")twice and were very good both times. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:41
Well again the context of the question is not clear to me. Who do I 'like' the best? Well Fripp is just a grumpy so and so and seems like a self entitled jerk (great music though and Red will always remain a favourite album of mine). I imagine also that you don't want to get on the wrong side of Ian Anderson! I'll go for Frank Bornemann. Seems a bit eccentric like Jon Anderson in the best possible way and still steering the good ship Eloy very nicely. The last album was very good. Not bad that he's been going for 50 years and putting out decent new material. 

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 02:38
I struggle to detect a personality with Robert fripp perhaps that's part of his mystery. where as ian anderson is over the top, this poll speaks volumes it just goes to show you that if you put the name King crimson in a poll it will probably win Wink   

Edited by Enchant X - February 14 2020 at 02:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 06:03
Robert Fripp & Toyah Willcox ~ All Star Mr & Mrs

I find it really bizarre that the couple are introduced as "Toyah Wilcox and her husband Robert" and King Crimson never even gets mentioned. Shocked

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 14 2020 at 06:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 06:48
^"Rocker husband." ;) 
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yeah, Dave certainly qualifies. I just forgot all about them and never was sure if he was the only surving member like the others but it turns out he was. I actually saw Strawbs(technically they aren't "the Strawbs")twice and were very good both times. 
  One of my very favourite progressive bands.  Got to see them several times, several configurations, over the years.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 09:37

^"Rocker husband." ;) 

I know. It's as if Toyah Wilcox is far better-known than Robert Fripp in Philip Schofield's eyes. He probably hasn't even heard of King Crimson. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:03
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^"Rocker husband." ;) 

I know. It's as if Toyah Wilcox is far better-known than Robert Fripp in Philip Schofield's eyes. He probably hasn't even heard of King Crimson. Smile

Not impossible. I once had a conversation with a guy who was probably well into his fifties(a few years ago)who apparently never heard of King Crimson. I was really surprised. Not hearing them is one thing but being his age and not at least hearing OF them(especially since he seemed to be at least a casual Yes fan)was very perplexing(and maybe a tad troubling) to me to say the least. Confused

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 14 2020 at 12:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:26

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^"Rocker husband." ;) 

Not impossible. I once had a conversation with a guy who was probably well into his fifties(a few years ago)who apparently never heard of King Crimson. I was really surprised. Not hearing them is one thing but being his age and not at least hearing OF them(especially since he seemed to be at least a casual Yes fan)was very perplexing(and maybe a tad troubling) to me to say the least. Confused
Philip Schofield is 57 years old and I'd be blushing crimson if I'd never heard of King Crimson at his age. It did seem really odd though that he introduced the couple as "Toyah Wilcox and her husband Robert" as if his main claim to fame in life was being the husband of Toyah Wilcox, when in fact Robert Fripp has achieved far more musically than Toyah ever has. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 14 2020 at 14:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:16
^Yeah, how difficult would it be to say her husband Robert Fripp from the prog rock band King Crimson. ;)

By the way, did you know that Robert's sister Patricia is a well known public/motivational speaker? They have given talks together on stage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEjYvjB6Ws 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:45

^Yeah, how difficult would it be to say her husband Robert Fripp from the prog rock band King Crimson. ;)

By the way, did you know that Robert's sister Patricia is a well known public/motivational speaker? They have given talks together on stage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEjYvjB6Ws 
No, I didn't know that. You learn something new every day on ProgArchives. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12