Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

North Sea Radio Orchestra - Folly Bololey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Sea Radio Orchestra - Folly Bololey
    Posted: February 12 2020 at 12:48
Wow! I have loved NSRO since they started and just went into Spotify to listen to Dronne, while working on the computer...and what do I see before me but a new NSRO album from last year, an album of Robert Wyatt covers!
But actually it is NSRO, John Greaves, Annie Barbazza.
The full title of the album is: Folly Bololey - Songs from Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom.

It is a wonderful product.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 13:26
Superb stuff, saw this performed live at the Rock In Opposition Festival last year.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Superb stuff, saw this performed live at the Rock In Opposition Festival last year.

Wow! Lucky you! Sadly,I've never seen them live.
Are you going to the Being for the Benefit of Mister Quy on 15th March in Brixton?
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 13:49
Would love to but I've got to pick and choose my trips back to the UK for concerts as it's a bit pricey from the USA. I saw NSRO in London a couple of years ago and before that the two day event with Knifeworld/Spratleys Japs/Admirals Hard/Guapo. I'm hoping to make a Cardiacs related event either this year or next year.
Ian

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 13:53
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Would love to but I've got to pick and choose my trips back to the UK for concerts as it's a bit pricey from the USA. I saw NSRO in London a couple of years ago and before that the two day event with Knifeworld/Spratleys Japs/Admirals Hard/Guapo. I'm hoping to make a Cardiacs related event either this year or next year.

Sounds good.

That Admirals Hard album gets a lot of spins in my machines. An album of sea shanties, who knew that would work so bloody brilliantly?

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 14:25
Yeah, seeing that live was super fun, the whole crowd singing along learning the words as we went, very bouncy.
Ian

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2020 at 14:56
It's quite courageous to cover Rock Bottom. That's such a unique and personal album that it's hard to believe anyone else can do it justice. But I agree that Folley Bololey has just the right mix of respect for the original and its own spin on things that it can be called a success. Also I like that the NSRO for once did something really different. I love all their albums, but after harvesting the same field for four albums, it was the right time for trying out something else.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 00:14
That's a great album. Would it be prog blasphemy to say I like it better than the original?
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 04:57
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

That's a great album. Would it be prog blasphemy to say I like it better than the original?

Yes
Ian

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 06:05
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

I Love the original but I too prefer this version overall. Except for O Caroline, I don't think they did a good job with that at all his voice was not good, and so it is my least favourite track on the album.
The British Road is my fav on the album.
But on the RW original my favourite is Sea Song and then Shipbuilding.
 Post Reply Post Reply