Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog by Nation..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Most consistent prog producer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
35 [64.81%]
3 [5.56%]
5 [9.26%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
2 [3.70%]
1 [1.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.85%]
6 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhioBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 18:17
I don't really get why its even a question. It's a cultural thing, not a contest. .... I'm English, but if it were not prog, then it might have been C&W, If that kind of abomination happens to you, you just gotta go with the flow and accept that your weirdness is not geography, it's just who you are as a person. Different smokes for different junkies.
Stand up and fight, for you know we are right
We must strike at the lies
That have spread like disease through our minds.

Yeah, I did that, sorry :(

Seriously though, I know we all want to be the best at something, but when, for instance did anyone ever hear an Indian guy claim to throw the best hoedown?

I should probably apologise, I just viewed an old thread where there was a debate about the origins of prog.... I'll shut up now.:(
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 18:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Paraguay! Just kidding. How can any other nation compare to the UK. More outstanding bands per capita than any other nation in history and i'm talking every genre! Ok maybe not jazz :)

No, not every genre. See my list. Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 19:17
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Paraguay! Just kidding. How can any other nation compare to the UK. More outstanding bands per capita than any other nation in history and i'm talking every genre! Ok maybe not jazz :)

No, not every genre. See my list. Wink

OK, you got me there. I recently thought about this myself and i realized that a huge amount of my favorite artists are from the UK. Something in the tea perhaps?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 23:02
UK was always going to win this one by a landslide.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 23:56
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

UK was always going to win this one by a landslide.

yep 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:32
The question being 'most consistent' not best then obviously Italy is the correct answer!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:35

France is one that struck me as having at least one album in like in almost every category at PA and having many I love.most consistently good, for me, across categories. It also has the two bands that I have the largest Prog collections from, Magma and Art Zoyd. As a Zeuhl and RIO lover, France is very strong, but it has many albums I adore across many categories. If this were about Canterbury Scne, the UK would surely takes it despite having havourites outside of the UK such as Cos, Picchio dal Pozzo, Supersister, Zyma, and Moving Gelatine PLates plus mnay great Japenese ones inclusing the modern The Winstons. Actually, so much of the Canterbury SOund I love exists out of the UK. For folk the UK wins for me. Not just what's in PA, but Nick Drake is da bomb for me.

- Canterbury Sound: Moving Gelatine Plates (both albums)
- Crossover: Jason Havelock - Pop Symphony (sadly lost the album in a flood -- was a most treasured vinyl of mine)
- Eclectic: Jean-Claude Vannier - L'enfant assassians des mouches (my fave album in Eclectic) and Plat du Jour
- Experimental/Post Metal: Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde (it's post-metal)
- Heavy Prog: Ocean - God's Clown
- Indo-Prog/Raga Rock: Andre Fertier's Clivage - Mixtus Orbis and debut (I love Clivage so much)
- Krautrock: Lard Free is awesome
- Neo-prog: Marc Ceccotti - Sometimes Around Saturn (not sure how Neo-prog the album is, but I do like it whatever one calls it)
- Jazz-Rock/Fusion: Rahmann - Rahmann (one of my faves in PA) and Abus Dangereux
- Post Rock: Natural Snow Buildings The Winter Ray (actually don't see it in PA and if the band were included it might be in folk, but that is a post rock meets acid folk and drone album)
- Prog Folk: Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis - Catherine Ribeiro + 2Bis (Catherine Ribeiro and Alpes is here under Psych, but I put her under Pychedelic Avant Folk for Alpes and other work) A favourite of mine.
- Progressive Electronic: Zanov and Igor Wakhevitch (two of my absolute favourite artists in PA)
- Progressive Metal (okay, not sure, as Diablo Swing Orchestra is not French -- I didn't think it was...)
- Psych/ Space: Alain Goraguer - La Plančte Sauvage (OST) (I love this soundtrack so very much -- another top fave of mine from France)
- RIO/ Avant - Art Zoyd (so many albums I love). This is the band I commonly call my favourite and there is so much RIO/Avant from France that I adore. Hellebore is a lesser know n fave which I will mention.
- Rock Progressivo Italiano: okay, that presents a problem. Unlike Krautrock of canterbury which has expoerted itself into other areas as a sound, RPI is more regional in terms of classification. I have heard what sounds very RPI to my ears from South America. Italy was a contender for me, and actually I listen to a huge amount of Italian music (most of it not in PA)
- Symphonic Prog - Clearlight - Clearlight Symphony (may be my favourite album included in Symph at PA. Love it. And out of PA, WIllaim Shller's Lux Aeterna (not quite sure of best classification for that).
- Zeuhl - Magma! But also Dun, Eskaton, Archaïa Shub-Niggurath, Weidorje and so many others. For a bigtime Zeuhl lover for me, this category alone would make France uberstrong in this poll.
- Prog Related: Much as I like the big name of Jarre, Gerard Manset is my boy. I love La mort d'Orion, and I'd call it Eclectic Prog.
Proto_Prog: Les Maledictus SOund. Love this album, glad to see it's finally in PA as I suggested it a decade ago.

So yeah, vive la France.

Edited by Logan - February 14 2020 at 00:37
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 02:32
I voted for UK despite my favorite band is not from there (Kansas) but there are so many bands I really like from UK, UK was always going to win this poll no questions asked. I'm from Australia and I doubt we will get many votes Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - February 14 2020 at 02:34
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Finland.

Yesterday I was digging threw the Svart Label's vinyl re-releases and I must say I'm totally psyched! I ordered Finnforest, Malady, Pekka Pohjola and Tasavallan Presidentti. Will look for a reprint of Haikara as well.

Edited by friso - February 15 2020 at 03:37
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 05:54
Well, I think the greatest progband is Finnish (Wigwam), but when thinking the amount of great prog, I have to vote UK.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 05:55
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The obvious choice for me. Smile

was it Andorra or Liechtenstein?
No, it was The Vatican. I like a bit of Pope-Rock every now and again. LOL
LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 05:59
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Finland.

Yesterday I was digging threw the Svart Label's vinyl re-releases and I must say I'm totally psyched! I ordered Finnforest, Malady, Pekka Pohjola and Tasavallan Presidentti. Will look for a reprint of Haikara as well.
I was bit surprised when somebody ask me in discogs to sell my copy of Kalevalaīs People No Names (yellow vinyl svart re-release). Then noticed there wasnīt any cd-version of it, also there were only Mayfair-re-release available (two couples). Haikaraīs album situation is lot better.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:11

Finland.

I was quite serious in my suggestion of Finland...obviously the number of artists and volume of albums does not compete with larger countries, but across everything I have heard the quality is consistently high. And for a nation that even now has less than 6 million people the number of really great albums is remarkable, I think.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:20

Finland.

I was quite serious in my suggestion of Finland...obviously the number of artists and volume of albums does not compete with larger countries, but across everything I have heard the quality is consistently high. And for a nation that even now has less than 6 million people the number of really great albums is remarkable, I think.
Great to hear there are Finnprog fans outside Finland (I remember naturally you). I think also although number of progbands in sixties/seventies werenīt very high, there are very little I donīt like. On the other hand I havenīt ever been very much after seventies Finnish prog as I havenīt also other after seventies prog. Absoluuttinen Nollapiste is really great though!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:34
^^ My favourite Finnish band are Nightwish, although they're the start and finish of my knowledge of Finnish bands. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 10:16

^^ My favourite Finnish band are Nightwish, although they're the start and finish of my knowledge of Finnish bands. Smile
I havenīt ever cared much Nightwish although nothing against it (specially when there arenīt that horrible opera singer anymore). I believe you would like some older Finnish prog, for example Tasavallan Presidentti. There is one of the few Finnish guitar heroīs Jukka Tolonen, also in their two first albums sing Brit Frank Robson (in case Finnish language or accent bothers you).

Edited by Mortte - February 15 2020 at 10:17
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I havenīt ever cared much Nightwish although nothing against it (specially when there arenīt that horrible opera singer anymore). I believe you would like some older Finnish prog, for example Tasavallan Presidentti. There is one of the few Finnish guitar heroīs Jukka Tolonen, also in their two first albums sing Brit Frank Robson (in case Finnish language or accent bothers you).
The main reason  Nightwish are one of my all-time favourite Symphonic Metal bands is down to the opera singer Tarja Turunen. Smile
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:00
UK obviously, and not just because I'm English.

Other nations have chipped in with good stuff, but the UK has to be the undisputed prog superpower.
Songs cast a light on you
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I'm from Australia and I doubt we will get many votes Tongue

No, not even from Australians.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 11:52
When I think Australia, I think Cybotron.

I threw a vote to Japan because I probably own as many Japanese albums (various genres) as I do UK/US.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>