Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Gong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: From the list what is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [7.84%]
7 [13.73%]
12 [23.53%]
16 [31.37%]
5 [9.80%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.96%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.88%]
1 [1.96%]
2 [3.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Gong
    Posted: April 14 2020 at 00:38
You  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 17:18
I'm an old softie for Time Is They Key which I heard for the first time at a head/record shop that didn't last long because it was driven out of business.  But I heard it there first and it was my first or second Gong album.  Expresso (USA title) was likely my first.  I really liked it but this one clicked me when I heard it on the store's sound system.  I didn't get into Daevid Allen era Gong until a while after that.  But Daevid considered all incarnations to be Gong. or so I've heard or read.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 17:18
"You" for sure!  Amazing work....

I was lucky to see Gong in Chicago at a small club (Cubby Bear) on two consecutive nights!  Guitarist was Steffi Sharpstrings.  Bloomdido, Daevid, etc. were there as well.  It was, well, amazing!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 16:05
All of Trilogy Gong and all their live stuff
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:52
Woah I listened to Gazeuse! this morning and I really liked it! Hadn't listened to that one yet. I love instrumentals and I don't think I heard any singing on that. Nice jazzy sound, good stuff.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 19:08
Voted for Flying Teapot
"Happiness is real only when shared"
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 21:21
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

I Never Did Glid Before on its own sent Angel's Egg to the top for me

That's a really cool tune, I agree. And I also voted for Angel's Egg. For me(and I just recently discovered this band through this site) the favorites so far are the debut and the albums in the Trilogy. I don't like the second album as much as a lot of people seem to for some reason.

Really fun band. Best discovery for me in a while.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

The one right at the end of Bohemian Rhapsody.

As for the band, their music to me always seemed to be the ultimate in tripped out acid, psych, hippy mood music for a mood I was never in.

I disagree. And seeing this being redone, almost note for note, 20 to 30 years later, means that there was a lot more in it, that we did not see ... "You" might have been their last dope album, but to be able to play it live, they would not have been able to be that stoned, and seeing the band live (1st time in 1995) and talking to Mike Howlett, he said something to the effect that folks write what they wanted to ... and that he would not have been able to play as well stoned ... he said he was too important a cog in the wheel to help it stay up straight and do it ... and it showed ... I've never heard him hit a wrong note, even in any video out there!

Compared to the old Fillmore days, half of which most bands disappeared because they could not "redo" what they just did on stage ... and even the folks at The Grateful Dead had you pinched ... Bob Weir says that in his special ... we would not have been able to play as much as we did if we were that ripped!

Give the music itself some credit please ... there are some SERIOUS MUSICIANS out there, and they are not idiots or take their work frivolously!

You disagree, great.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 27 2020 at 09:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

As for the band, their music to me always seemed to be the ultimate in tripped out acid, psych, hippy mood music for a mood I was never in.

I disagree. And seeing this being redone, almost note for note, 20 to 30 years later, means that there was a lot more in it, that we did not see ... "You" might have been their last dope album, but to be able to play it live, they would not have been able to be that stoned, and seeing the band live (1st time in 1995) and talking to Mike Howlett, he said something to the effect that folks write what they wanted to ... and that he would not have been able to play as well stoned ... he said he was too important a cog in the wheel to help it stay up straight and do it ... and it showed ... I've never heard him hit a wrong note, even in any video out there!

Compared to the old Fillmore days, half of which most bands disappeared because they could not "redo" what they just did on stage ... and even the folks at The Grateful Dead had you pinched ... Bob Weir says that in his special ... we would not have been able to play as much as we did if we were that ripped!

Give the music itself some credit please ... there are some SERIOUS MUSICIANS out there, and they are not idiots or take their work frivolously!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:17

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Also missing... Downwind (Moerlen's band). So I voted for Live Etc.

.... welcome all magick brothers and mystic sisters ... 

Still the album I love to rock out on!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 07:43
Also missing... Downwind (Moerlen's band). So I voted for Live Etc.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:08
"Shamal" is missing on the list. and their best live album is "Live au Bataclan". two tracks from that album, "You Can't Kill Me" and "Zero the Hero", can also be found on "Gong Live Etc.", but only in shortened versions. only "Live au Bataclan" has the full versions with full-length solos. for some reason "Zero the Hero" is named "Tic Toc" on "Live au Bataclan". the band is in absolute top form on that album, especially drummer Pierre Moerlen.

here a link to "Live au Bataclan" on youtube:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 11:18
Hi,

There is no chance that I can select a favorite ... although the one album I probably mention the most is YOU, but the whole band, solos and other musics (specially Daevid, Gilli and Steve) have so much outstanding stuff that choosing is a lost cause for me ... I love them all and was glad to have spent time with them!
www.pedrosena.com
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 15:56
Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

Perhaps would have gone with Gazeuse! ... really like that album;
but I consider it a bit special Gong album..
Let's go with something more representative... Let's say...
You, easily;
but wait!
Live etc. has only 1 vote??
no way!
voted Live etc. ..the first one I met (though I think not voting for it for that reason).
Shamal would have made for a nice 4th place...

Gong Live etc... was my choice as well. Gutted it's not being reissued but at least I've got The Isle of Everywhere from Hyde Park on the second disc of You (even though the Get It Inner part was clearly edited from somewhere else on Live etc.)
Was very, very tempted to vote for I See You as "Thank You" is really a great Daevid Allen song.
But it doesn't matter if you've heard it (to paraphrase it)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:20
Gong has so many great albums. Angel's Egg gets my vote.

Edited by Manuel - February 15 2020 at 14:20
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 16:48

Perhaps would have gone with Gazeuse! ... really like that album;
but I consider it a bit special Gong album..
Let's go with something more representative... Let's say...
You, easily;
but wait!
Live etc. has only 1 vote??
no way!
voted Live etc. ..the first one I met (though I think not voting for it for that reason).
Shamal would have made for a nice 4th place...

Edited by Machinemessiah - February 14 2020 at 16:50
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:57
Angel's Egg
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:50
I Never Did Glid Before on its own sent Angel's Egg to the top for me
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 13:57
I like Moerlenīs Gong too, but prefer Allenīs. I would have taken Magick Brother, but because it isnīt here, itīs Teapot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>