Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Captain Beefheart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Favorite Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band Album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [10.71%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [25.00%]
4 [14.29%]
2 [7.14%]
1 [3.57%]
1 [3.57%]
1 [3.57%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [7.14%]
4 [14.29%]
3 [10.71%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain Beefheart
    Posted: February 14 2020 at 01:44
Legendary personality in the RIO and Avant Prog scene. Light years ahead of his contemporaries, IMHO. Which is your personal favorite outing from the Captain and his Magic Band?

GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 01:51
This will change almost on a daily basis for me..but seeing as I span Mirrorman last night I’m opting for that
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 02:04
Lick My Decals Off, Baby was kicking my ass last night.

I'll always go for TMR.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 03:06
Gotta go with Trout Mask.

Love Lick My Decals Off Baby, and have a strong affinity for Ice Cream For Crow, Strictly Personal & Shiny Beast. 

Edited by Man With Hat - February 14 2020 at 03:07
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 03:10
Did anyone here ever get Trout Mask Replica on vinyl back in the day? Doesn't have to be release day/month, but anyone remember walking into a record store, seeing the cover, and going "WTF is this?!". I'd LOVE to hear some stories!

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 05:00
Shiny Beast for me Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 07:01
I think I had to go for 'Doc at the Radar Station', but very close.  'Trout Mask', Lick My Decals Off', and 'Clear Spot' are all contenders and a few others aren't few behind those.

'Doc' is an incredibly brilliant late career effort from a 60's artist.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 07:03
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Did anyone here ever get Trout Mask Replica on vinyl back in the day? Doesn't have to be release day/month, but anyone remember walking into a record store, seeing the cover, and going "WTF is this?!". I'd LOVE to hear some stories!

Yeah, it wasn't quite 'back in the day' as in the 60's, but it was still in the vinyl era.  I think I may have seen the cover before, but I remember first listening to it thru headphones in the store, and cracking up when the 'fast'n'bulbous' bit came on!  Bought it on the spot.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 07:28
Doc at the Radar Station for me. Followed by Trout Mask & Clear Spot.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 07:33
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Yeah, it wasn't quite 'back in the day' as in the 60's, but it was still in the vinyl era.  I think I may have seen the cover before, but I remember first listening to it thru headphones in the store, and cracking up when the 'fast'n'bulbous' bit came on!  Bought it on the spot.
I think it was the early 80s for me. My dad had a coworker with a fairly complete Zappa vinyl collection- so that’s how I initially became acquainted with early FZ, as my dad borrowed these records and I taped them. Then one day Trout Mask came home with him. I knew of Beefheart only through his appearance on Hot Rats. I was pretty impressed by the weirdness of it all, and the between-song chatter made the album more approachable for me. The actual musicality of the pieces didn’t register as much with me back then - that came much later.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 07:41
It's all about the trout. The rest is good for licking off decals at the radar station. Don't pull my bat

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 08:15
Clear Spot....always and forever......but like all of them even some of the tracks on that weird thing called Trout Mask,  ;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 08:21

I started college at IU (Bloomington, Indiana) in '69....there were two guys in the dorm that loved weird music and they played TMR at night often. It was too out there for me to dig at the time ..they also liked Zappa, early Floyd and Beatles (White and Abbey) which I got into of course.
I didn't really 'get' Beefheart until 72..Clear Spot.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 11:48
Trout gets the nod . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:21

I have it on vinyl, Reprise label. It was recommended by a friend, but the cover was indeed striking.

Edited by Easy Money - February 14 2020 at 12:21
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 13:25
Capt. Beefheart: Music for people who hate music. Smile
PROGMATIC
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 13:47
Trout is my biggest fav, but I voted Lick My Decals, because it`s really close to Trout and hasn´t got any votes. Doc, Ice cream & Strictly are my big faves, but I love all Beefheart albums, even Unconditionally & Bluejeans, because Beefheart is one of my really greats!
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:47
Went to see the Doc at the Radar Station
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:50
My first was Doc. My second was TMR.  I hate to say it but although I kept it in my collection, I cringe every time it comes up in rotation.  It actually caused me to put off adding any others for quite a few years.  For fans of the Captain, I'd highly recommend that you check out the Colonel - Bruce Hampton.  Weird wild stuff.  My third album to try and add to my collection is Safe As Milk, which I put a close second to Doc and TMR last. On a sort of side note, my first Zappa album was Bongo Fury, which of course prominently features the Captain and I really like that one.  Go figure. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 18:04
Safe as Milk is still my favorite, with a young Ry Cooder on lead guitar. A very crazy but accessible album, far better than Trout Mask in my estimation. One of the great albums of the Summer of Love, 1967.... Zig Zag Wanderer, Sure Enough n' Yes I Do, and the theremin-infused Electricity:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>