Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why do you use headphones at home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do you use headphones at home?
    Posted: February 14 2020 at 20:20
A question concerning home listening only.
I'm interested to know why people use headphones at home:

1. You just prefer it, to get closer to the music, to get a better stereo sound and to listen without being disturbed by outside sounds.

2. To drown out an irritating sound while you are working or studying at home e.g. a howling dog, loud TV, children in a neighbour's flat, whereby the music itself is not the prime reason just the volume to drown out the dog.

3. Because of where/how you live, out of consideration for others either in your home or other rooms/flats around you, you have to use headphones to listen at a correct volume to hear the music properly.

4. Your hearing means you simply have to use phones.

5. You mostly listen to music via a device with small weak speakers, so the phones are a necessity.

6. Other
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 23:30
3 is the closest. I don´t use headphones often (really like to listen music through loudspeakers and it doesn´t bother me at all, if some people are talking while listening) but when use it´s because my wife want to be sometime without music (I listen really lot) or then my daughter´s boy friend want to play some game in our living room.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 00:35
I live in an apartment with very poor soundproofing...so yeah headphones are basically it if I want to rock out...and not get constant complaints from my neighbours who don’t fancy Beefheart, Sun Ra, Tangerine Dream, Gong or Miles Davis when they have to sleep/eat/exist.
I’ve also found that it is rather cheap compared to a speaker set-up. The level of detail one can get from a somewhat cheap pair of cans is something you need to throw serious dough after in the speaker world.
Do I prefer headphones? Nope...but the times where I can freely listen to my stereo are increasingly rare. I remember last summer, where I seemed to be alone in the building with no neighbours to speak of...for about a week. Hot damn that was nice
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 01:39
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

A question concerning home listening only.
I'm interested to know why people use headphones at home:

1. You just prefer it, to get closer to the music, to get a better stereo sound and to listen without being disturbed by outside sounds. >> The day they come with 5.1 headphones, I will maybe try using headphones Clown

2. To drown out an irritating sound while you are working or studying at home e.g. a howling dog, loud TV, children in a neighbour's flat, whereby the music itself is not the prime reason just the volume to drown out the dog. >> if I have to concentrate, I certainly won't use music to isolate myself , especially if it's good. Maybe I should try unplugged headphones, though Evil SmileLOL.

3. Because of where/how you live, out of consideration for others either in your home or other rooms/flats around you, you have to use headphones to listen at a correct volume to hear the music properly. >> That's a valid reason I would use them late at night, but my GF goes to bed after me LOL.

4. Your hearing means you simply have to use phones. >> naaah; I guess I didn't w**k enough as a teen to become deaf Big smile (in French, they say you do if you indulgeErmm).

5. You mostly listen to music via a device with small weak speakers, so the phones are a necessity. >> certainly no earbuds (well sometimes at work), and in public places, I'm not addicted to music enough to scratch that itch. Long gone are the days of the Walkman and Discman. Plus until recently I didn't have a smartphone (it was forced upon me as a gift), and I don't plan to start listening to it (I still have a normal cell phone for phoning purposes).

6. Other >> BTW, certainly not wireless HP either. Last thing I want to have is an electronics receiver right next to both sides of my brains.PinchDead

colourful answer in the quoteWink

But I do have high-quality HP in both of my Dutch pad and my brussels one, though.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I live in an apartment with very poor soundproofing...so yeah headphones are basically it if I want to rock out...and not get constant complaints from my neighbours who don’t fancy Beefheart, Sun Ra, Tangerine Dream, Gong or Miles Davis when they have to sleep/eat/exist.

Dutch houses are the worst for isolation, but if they complain about my music, I will counter by calling the good taste police and cultural authorities, because they listen to Shakira, Lopez, Beyonce, Kenny G and Kayne West ... Usually that gets them calmed down instantly LOL

Edited by Sean Trane - October 28 2022 at 17:02
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 07:21
For me both 1 and 3.....but my older Shure phones won't work in my new laptop...the plug fits but no sound....could be Win 10 or the phones are broken...can;t figure it out....
help?
Cry
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 07:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL Our neighbours haven´t complained at all!! We are living in 3rd floor, which is the last in our house, our next apartment we hear nothing, apartment under us there is a piano player that we hear quite well (not playing every day). I have wondered how good they hear us?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 08:07
6. Other. I don't listen to music through headphones at home. However, I've recently started listening to music through headphones away from home. I'm actually quite surprised at how much more can be heard through headphones than through speakers. For example, as familiar as I am with Pawn Hearts through speakers, it was only recently that I first heard it through headphones, and I've become impressed with the album all over again.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 09:18
A little help....my headphones work fine with my HP hard drive tower at work but they don't work with the new HP laptop..ideas..? Are the new ports/jacks different than the old ones..? Or is there a setting I'm not seeing with the laptop?

Edited by dr wu23 - February 15 2020 at 09:18
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 12:33
My Sony WH-1000X MB wireless noise cancelling headphones give me far superior sound quality to any of my external device speakers, allow me to fully immerse in the music, and play it at a volume that would otherwise annoy my family! 😂
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 09:05
Little disappointed no one came to my help call on this thread...but heh...we are all busy in the end.
I figured  out the headphone issue...so I guess if you want something done...do it yourself.

Wink

Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 12:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

For me both 1 and 3.....but my older Shure phones won't work in my new laptop...the plug fits but no sound....could be Win 10 or the phones are broken...can;t figure it out....
help?
Cry

Try your HP in a different tool (radio, telephone, cell phone)

i tried both my samsung cell phone and my Sony MDR-CD270 and both worked fine with my Hewlett with Win 10
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:09
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

help?
Cry

i tried both my samsung cell phone and my Sony MDR-CD270 and both worked fine with my Hewlett with Win 10

Thanks...I fixed it....just a fit issue with the jack.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:48

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

help?
Cry

Thanks...I fixed it....just a fit issue with the jack.

glad that I couldn't be of any kind of help at all!! LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 02:00
Sorry Wu, I didn’t catch your dilemma until now...glad you found a solution yourself though.
Such a pain in the derriere not being able to play music I recently had a similar problem with my speakers...only to find out that my cables were antique and more than ready for the trash. I was however fairly certain that it was the speakers acting up...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kabak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 19:52
I mostly use headphones for listening music, gaming and watching movies. Since the lockdown, I have purchased Logitech G430 specifically for group meetings and conference calls since work from home is applicable until now.

(EDIT: A link removed.)

Edited by DamoXt7942 - October 18 2020 at 21:05
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 20:27
Answer: my wife cannot stand my taste in music. 

Odd, as she once met everyone in the band Yes (2004).  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 21:06
^ Oh man that's a deal breaker for me LOL. Thankfully for me my wife is good with my music selection, sure there is stuff she has no interest in but the majority of it she's fine with. 

So no need for headphones in the Catcher10 house, I only use them on planes.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 22:58
I'd say (1) - headphones are the best way to really listen to something for me.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 07:34
Mostly #3. My wife likes most of what I listen to, but when I am sampling music which is new to me, I tend to listen to a short snippet, skip ahead 20-30 sec, listen to another snippet, skip ahead some more, then skip the song, start a new one, listen to a snippet, etc. This, understandably, drives her nuts!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2020 at 06:57
It's 1 & 2 for me.
There was a time back in the 80's - 90's where I almost exclusively listen through cans.
AKG K240 Studio Phones. I loved being immersed in the sound stage and the  AKG's are beautiful balanced even if they are a little heavy on the 'ol noggin.

These days it's mostly because I want music in my head whenever I cut the lawn or do some landscaping or snow shoveling. I had a sweet little pair of JVC phones that I got for $10 at a clearance store back in 2005. I couldn't believe how smooth they were given their size and price. I went back and bought two more pairs for when the first ones broke, which they eventually did. I just hooked the cable of my last pair over a drawer handle about a month ago and pulled it out so they are all done now.
Not terribly impressed with what's available now as economical over the ear phone. If I'm shopping I'll just plug a pair of Blueberry ear buds in to my iPod Shuffle.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>