Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Sabbath, the unsung prog trailblazers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 08:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

The Big Three:

Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin

And only DP had some prog in them.

If you call LZ a prog band, then so is every other rootsy blues rock band of the 60s and 70s.

Nobody calls LZ prog, although they had a few prog songs.

So did Deep Purple but I would argue that LZ had just as many if not more. Come to think of it all three had prog songs but that doesn't make any of them prog bands. It's not like they all put out full blown prog albums like even Pink Floyd, Kansas or Rush(bands who some say aren't prog). 
Rush have always been a Hard Rock band to me and not a Prog-Rock band, but I'm glad they're here on ProgArchives. Smile
I don't know, Paul. 2112 is so prog that an Argentine prog band named themselves 2112.
I guess that settles it then. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 09:48
Rush were full on prog from about A Farewell to Kings to Moving Pictures or maybe Signals. A little later and they were more synth rock then hard rock. Before AFTK mostly proto metal/hard rock. 2112 is half prog and half hard rock. CoS of steel is about the same. FBN is 20 percent prog(mostly just by tor and the snowdog). The first is just hard rock/proto metal. All, imo of course. Smile

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 24 2020 at 09:49
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 10:24
Yup, 2112 was only a little pregnant.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 13:22
^^ Prognant I think you mean Wink
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 02:55
As a serious heavy metaller and hard rocker rather than a progger I say that Rush made three hard rock albums, their fourth one was completely different, it was not hard rock it was prog and they remained prog.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 03:24

It makes me wonder now if the Hard Rock bands Led Zeppelin, UFO and Uriah Heep are included here too, but maybe that would be too much to hope for. Smile

If Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield and Vangelis are all included on ProgArchives too, then that would really make my evening. Smile

Zep & Heep are inStern Smile
Not sure about UFO... their first four that are Space Rock could be, but it was a little basic, but their Hard AOR doesn't

So are Newpasture, Tangerine & VangelisTongue

Maybe you oughta explore a little the DB, instead of posting 135 times a day in here

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 10:30
Even the first two UFO, weren't half as spacey as the covers and song titles promised, in fact Early UFO, before MS, were pretty much a meat & potatoes hard rock band, and as well as their own stuff they played far too high a percentage of covers of 50s rock n roll songs and 60s rock. They weren't even close to prog and when MS joined they moved even further away from it.

A case can be made for UH, WA, DP, Rainbow and even early Scorpions but not UFO, LZ, BS, TL or Queen.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 25 2020 at 11:43
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 11:20

A case can be made for UH, WA, DP, Rainbow and even early Scorpions but not UFO, LZ, BS, TL or Queen.

Not Queen? Seriously? I would suggest that much of their first four albums was very progressive. "Prog" with a capital "P".

Please count the time signatures changes in this composition, then add the absolutely crazy harmonies, the esoteric lyrics, the operatic and symphonic interludes, and then tell me how you could not consider it one of the best examples of prog....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 04:38
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It makes me wonder now if the Hard Rock bands Led Zeppelin, UFO and Uriah Heep are included here too, but maybe that would be too much to hope for. Smile

If Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield and Vangelis are all included on ProgArchives too, then that would really make my evening. Smile

Zep & Heep are inStern Smile
Not sure about UFO... their first four that are Space Rock could be, but it was a little basic, but their Hard AOR doesn't

So are Newpasture, Tangerine & VangelisTongue

Maybe you oughta explore a little the DB, instead of posting 135 times a day in here

You're right. I spend a lot more time in the PA forums than I do on the main site, but you already knew that anyway. Tongue

I've since discovered that UFO aren't included on ProgArchives, so maybe they're just not proggy enough. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2020 at 04:41
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 05:22
Seriously Paul, if you like UFO, just like them. Why do you feel the need to apply a prog tag to then? They were never even remotely prog.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 06:07

Even the first two UFO, weren't half as spacey as the covers and song titles promised, in fact Early UFO, before MS, were pretty much a meat & potatoes hard rock band, and as well as their own stuff they played far too high a percentage of covers of 50s rock n roll songs and 60s rock. They weren't even close to prog and when MS joined they moved even further away from it.

Yeah, as I said UFO is a bit the Status Quo or Ramones  of space rock. LOL
Rather than progressive rock, they were more la regressive rock or approximative rock Evil Smile

Zep has a few tunes that can qualify as "prog", Sab has some legitimacy as groundbreakers (more than Iommi, Geezer's bass and Ward's drumming were very inventive) with their first two albums, then a few tracks on their next few are "proggy", but please note they're in Prog-related, not a full-blown prog subgenre

Not in favor of Lizzy or UFO's inclusions , thoughOuch

Edited by Sean Trane - February 27 2020 at 06:10
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Not in favor of Lizzy or UFO's inclusions , thoughOuch

Amen to that.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:04
The first 2 UFO are interesting ,,,perhaps prog related , though there are 2 very long songs on UFO 2....
UFO1 (UFO album - cover art).jpg

Ufo2flying-UK.jpg

Edited by dr wu23 - February 27 2020 at 08:08
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The first 2 UFO are interesting ,,,perhaps prog related , though there are 2 very long songs on UFO 2....

Ufo2flying-UK.jpg

I've owned those two albums for years, and I hear nothing prog on them at all. Long songs and blues rock jams are not prog. If you think early UFO are prog, so then are Cream,Hendrix, Blind Faith, Blue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge, Led Zeppelin,Iron Butterfly, Spirit, Whitesnake and so on.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:27

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Ufo2flying-UK.jpg

I've owned those two albums for years, and I hear nothing prog on them at all. Long songs and blues rock jams are not prog. If you think early UFO are prog, so then are Cream,Hendrix, Blind Faith, Blue Cheer, Vanilla Fudge, Led Zeppelin,Iron Butterfly, Spirit, Whitesnake and so on.

Well...Zep is here so is Spirit, Hendrix, Fudge, Butterfly...  etc...they are under proto prog btw..., but I'm not asking for them to be included just giving out some info on the band...and 2 other bands Gravy Train and Steam Hammer who are in the same early 70's area are also here. Just saying...maybe we should simply kick them all off the forum..they aren't prog dammit.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 08:33
When People start to realize that prog as an umbrella doesn't exist then we can kick everything off the forum. :)

Having sub-genres to a non-existent genre is pure lunacy.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 09:44
The first time I heard Lights Out that's exactly what I did. Shut the stereo off and put out the lights.

Edited by SteveG - February 27 2020 at 09:44
fracturematt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fracturematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 08:51
I totally agree with this!  I always thought about this with their song Hand of Doom.  They were way ahead of their time and have influence multiple genres for sure. 
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 14:51
Still say the Grateful Dead is THE most progressive band to ever exist - still doesn't make 'em a prog band (though I still say they should be on PA, if only to allow the uninitiated a guidepost).  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2020 at 05:46
It'll probably have dismissals of "Yeah, but Bill Ward wasn't on it" but "13".
I recently listened to it, a good couple of times.
Never left a better studio album they could have gone out on.
Too bad never saw them live.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>