Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s your biggest gripe with the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 06:27
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Why is Wobbler's Dwellers of the Deep currently the 51st best PA prog album ever? It was released less than two weeks ago. It has 150 ratings and is rated higher than those with 2000 ratings. Decent album but no way better than those ranked lower. This is my big gripe with the PA top 100. Laughable.

also laughable that you got upset and care so much about the top 100. 

Don't check the one on MMA, you'll get headaches. LOL

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 06:29
^Not upset, just curious as to the why.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 06:31

^Not upset, just curious as to the why.

it would be funny if it's just a glitch or something similar. 
A failing algorithm LOL
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 06:48

Why is Wobbler's Dwellers of the Deep currently the 51st best PA prog album ever? It was released less than two weeks ago. It has 150 ratings and is rated higher than those with 2000 ratings. Decent album but no way better than those ranked lower. This is my big gripe with the PA top 100. Laughable.

Exactly my thoughts. I just listened to it yesterday on a streaming service to see what all the fuss is about, and although I consider it better than From Silence to Somewhere it certainly doesn't deserve the spot it's got in the top 100. Actually, I don't understand how Wobbler gets to have two albums in the top 100 while other bands like, say, ELP, only have one.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 06:51
See my previous post.

For Dwellers of the Deep to move up even one position would require 168 votes, which it doesn't have. It's not just ratings -- its the number of ratings that contributes to its position on the Top 100. DOTD just doesn't have enough ratings yet. Be patient.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 07:18
This often happens with new albums, it will go down the top 100 eventually.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 07:47

This...

Average rating: The classic calculation of the average but more weight is affected to the rating of progarchives.com collaborators and to rating with reviews.

- Rating only: Weight = 1 
- Review by members : Weight = 10 
- Review by PA Collaborators : Weight = 20 

20 to 1? Not fair in my opinion. And Miles and all jazz-rock/fusion will never be prog for me.

Hi,

I would like to change this to 1/5/10 ... and I bet that we will find a lot more things in the listing other than the same bands over and over and over and over and over .... 

The worst case scenario is when a "review" is  NOT a review and should not be used as a review at all ... something like ... sounds like Genesis ... which is not a review but an opinion, and the statement is not qualified or explained.

There are a lot of reviews, and for example, ITCOTKC ... I find that at least 10 to 15 of the "reviews" in there do not fit ... and should be moved to a thread instead. And that's just looking from the top, since the listing is ridiculous, and you can't find one that actually helps in the middle of some much poor reviews. I won't even look at Jethro Tull reviews ... I can see all the fan boys gushing left and right ... and that is not a review either!

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

This often happens with new albums, it will go down the top 100 eventually.

You mean ... past the point where no one will care? like 151st? or 305th?

Edited by moshkito - November 11 2020 at 07:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213