Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 King Crimson Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 King Crimson Songs
    Posted: February 24 2020 at 13:54
If you have THE POWER TO BELIEVE, imagine sailing through treacherous seas IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON to a land far far away on one of the world's remote ISLANDS, where the RED-haired man reigns IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING. Out on deck on THE NIGHT WATCH under a STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK sky, you marvel at THE CONSTRUCTION OF LIGHT in a thunder storm as you hear the THRAK of a lightning bolt in the distance. You play cards to pass the time on the long voyage, but lose again when you realise you can't BEAT a hand containing THREE OF A PERFECT PAIR. You don't have the DISCIPLINE to concentrate at cards against an opponent with eyes darting around like a LIZARD who sees everything, so you decide to BEAT a retreat down to the galley where the ship's cook serves up an exotic dish of LARKS TONGUES IN ASPIC, washed down with a glass of RED wine. You retire to your cabin and quickly drift off to sleep as the ship continues on its EARTHBOUND voyage.....

Following on from the success of the Top 5 Pink Floyd songs poll (in which "Echoes" is currently leading), it's time to determine the Top 5 songs of all time by King Crimson. Simply list your Top 5 King Crimson songs in order of preference below and then I'll assign points to your listings as follows:-

1st song - 6 points 
2nd song - 4 points
3rd song - 3 points
4th song - 2 points
5th song - 1 point

Here are my Top 5 King Crimson songs to kick off with:-

1. Epitaph (6 points)
2. The Court of the Crimson King (4 points)
3. In the Wake of Poseidon (3 points)
4. I Talk to the Wind (2 points)
5. Starless (1 point)

Thanks to everyone who took part in my previous Pink Floyd songs poll. Hug

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 24 2020 at 15:06
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 14:29

1. 21st Century Schizoid Man
2. Neurotica
3. The Court Of The Crimson King
4. Sartori In Tangier
5. Red

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 14:34
1. Starless
2. The court of the Crimson King
3. Indiscipline
4. Sailors tale
5. LTIA Pt2
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 15:07
1. Formentera Lady
2. Cirkus
3. Starless
4. 21st Century Schizoid Man
5. Islands

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 15:32
1. Starless
2. Red
3. Elephant Talk
4. LTIA PT II
5. Fracture

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 15:43
Not a very original list but I think it's got to be

1. Fracture
2. Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part 2)
3. Starless
4. Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part 1)
5. 21st Century Schizoid Man

Not feeling good about having to leave out The Devil's Triangle and Discipline Unhappy  Five is too small a number!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Not a very original list but I think it's got to be

1. Fracture
2. Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part 2)
3. Starless
4. Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part 1)
5. 21st Century Schizoid Man

Not feeling good about having to leave out The Devil's Triangle and Discipline Unhappy  Five is too small a number!
At least you get to choose five songs in this poll instead of just choosing one song in a regular poll. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 24 2020 at 16:11
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 16:19
1) Starless
2) In the Court of the Crimson King
3) Red
4) The Night Watch
5) 21st Century Schizoid Man
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 16:33
On the mood of the day:
1 Industry
2 Thela Hun Ginjeet
3 Starless
4 The Sheltering Sky
5 Sleepless

Edited by Lewian - February 24 2020 at 16:33
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 01:14
1. Starless
2. I talk to the Wind
3. the Night Watch
4. Cirkus
5. In the Wake of Poseidon
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 01:23
Now that's difficult. King Crimson's legacy is, in my opinion, less concentrated than in the case of Yes or VDGG (where most of the greatness comes from ~20 compositions) and less homogenous than Jethro, ELP, Gentle Giant or Genesis. There is a lot of ground to cover... Maybe I'll just focus on my "taste" and make things easier for me.

05. One More Red Nightmare
Perhaps my favorite "brutish" piece of original King Crimson. Very dense rhythm section, thumping bass, inventive drumming, screaming guitars, slightly apocalyptic feel. But the most intriguing thing is the leading role of saxophone, so adventurous, ballsy, almost flamboyant; always liked McDonald/Collins contributions so I'm delighted it made a huge comeback on this last "classic" album.
04. Islands
There are at least three songs on this LP worth of highest praise, but this time I decided to go with "popular" pick because Islands beauty is undeniable. Slow buildup with lots of ambience and intimacy highlights a different side of King Crimson, sometimes accused of mechanic approach and cold calculation in their songwriting. Is it the first post-rock song? Anyways, Pete Sinfield has done an incredible job with the lyrics imo, and it's only fitting that heartbreaking sounds of trumpet dominate. Tasteful use of mellotron, somber vocals, low profile drumming - everyone knows his place and sets the scene for a session player! I love that maturity. On a sidenote: I think Steven Wilson anniversary remasters are inferior to the original, compare both versions of the solo and tell me what you think.
03. Fracture
The four piece lineup reached its zenith in this hellish, high octane, inconceivable masterpiece. Everyone plays to the best of his talents, the flow is incredibly good and Robert Fripp proves he's up there with the best, at least in 1974. Even today, with all developments of mathcore, technical thrash, John Zorns, Guthrie Govans and Hamasyans, Fracture succeeds in eye-melting and face-ripping competitions. The darker side of King Crimson.
02. In the Wake of Poseidon
Small rant: I had enjoyed the sophomore album much more until I read dozens of derogatory reviews on this site and other corners of the web. I can't say it didn't influence my opinion to small extent; it's only natural that you start investigating and nit-picking when your views don't align with community's consensus. ITWOP isn't as focused and cutthroat as the debut, but between Pictures of a City, Cadence and Cascade and title track you'll find lots of quality melodies. We also get Cat Food and The Devil's Triangle in place of Moonchild - it can't be a bad thing. With that said, there is hardly anyone who doesn't appreciate the centerpiece, In the Wake of Poseidon itself. Archetypal imagery, swaths of apocalyptic mellotron, prime Greg Lake on display... one of the most creative acoustic guitar licks of Robert Fripp... and those absolutely groovy-but-meditative Michael Giles drum fills, I'm in love with his work here. Put all pieces together, add one of the most dramatic codas in all of prog and that winter flute straight from Icewind Dale series (PC game), and what you get is a masterpiece. Very potent imagery, a true sonic painting, it always takes me places.
01. Lizard
I don't know if the side long epic influenced the prog scene much, but sure as hell it sounds like a blueprint. Changing moods, time signatures, instruments galore - the horns, bells, keys, reverse guitar licks - but it all makes sense and invites the listener to embark on a fantastic journey. The beautiful Prince Rupert (Jon Anderson) section and the solemn bolero are superb, but nothing out of the ordinary; it's the latter parts that defy description. All I can say is, King Crimson exists on the borders of avant-garde, symphonic and jazz, and results are extremely dark and potent. Perhaps the band was lacking direction at the time, but free flow of frightening ideas is a good thing here, it reeks of expressionism and makes my jaw drop.

01. Happy Family
Okay, this is the Lizard lineup in its most free-form yet concise moment. I want to pay my tribute here to the weirdest - and least explored - King Crimson album, the one treated by Haskell and Fripp as if it never happened. I know the side long epic (my original pick) will gather more votes, but Happy Family's brevity and effectiveness are mind-boggling. Hopefully it's the last time I change my mind!

Edited by thief - February 25 2020 at 01:35
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 01:24
Starless
In the wake Poseidon
Islands
Epitaph
The Night Watch
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 01:47
1- Epitaph
2- Lizard
3- Starless
4- Exiles
5- Indoor Games

Bubbling under:
Cat Food, Cirkus, Talking Drum, Court, Happy Family
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 06:44
There's already a clear leader in this poll with the other four King Crimson songs trailing way behind:-

1. Starless (43 points)
2. The Court of the Crimson King (15 points)
3. Epitaph (14 points)
4. In the Wake of Poseidon (12 points)
5. 21st Century Schizoid Man (10 points)

Almost everyone voted for Starless as one of their Top 5 King Crimson songs. Smile
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 08:15

2. One More Red Nightmare
  3. The Night Watch
  4.  LTIA Pt. 2
  5. Frame By Frame

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

2. One More Red Nightmare
  3. The Night Watch
  4.  LTIA Pt. 2
  5. Frame By Frame

You've just single-handedly given 21st Century Schizoid Man a massive boost from the fifth position to the second position. Smile

1. Starless (43 points)
2. 21st Century Schizoid Man (16 points)
3. The Court of the Crimson King (15 points)
4. Epitaph (14 points)
5. In the Wake of Poseidon (12 points)
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 10:58
^ Cool, Glad I could help! Wink
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 12:41
1. LTIA 2
2. One More Red Nightmare
3. Thela Hun Ginjeet
4. Cirkus
5. I Talk to The Wind

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 13:05
Larks' Tongues in Aspic has just entered the Top 5! Smile

1. Starless (43 points)
2. 21st Century Schizoid Man (16 points)
3. Larks' Tongues in Aspic 2 (15 points)
3. The Court of the Crimson King (15 points)
4. Epitaph (14 points)
5. In the Wake of Poseidon (12 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 25 2020 at 13:07
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 13:41
Starless
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. 1
Formentera Lady
Cirkus 
Cat Food
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>