Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cardiacs - looking into the albums for beginners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardiacs - looking into the albums for beginners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 02:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Interestingly, while On Land and in the Sea became my favourite Cardiacs album (along with Songs for Ships and Irons), it didn't immediately appeal. At the time I was really into A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window. My first album was Sing to God, which I adored. It was due to hearing "Dirty Boy" that I purchased that album. "All That Glitters Is a Mares Nest" is another particular favourite of mine. In terms of songs, which is another way to test them, I adore "Big Ship".

Watching and listening to this could be an awesome experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmitqsDp1uw

It's one of the bands that I most wish I had seen live.

EDIT: By the way, while I had heard "Is This The Life?" on the radio before, it wasn't until quite some years later that I started to become reasonably familiar with Cardiacs. I was at a sci-fi forum before this witha small but very close-knit community, and there were a few Cradicas fans there that tutrned me onto the music. That said, knowing I tend to appreciate the abusrd and quirky, my first real knowing experiences were some of their weird early videos -- RES and Tarred and Feathered as I recall. I was intrigued, was fun, but it didn't make me a fan. It wasn't until I joined this site that I explored more and got Sing to God, and from there grew to appreciate lots of Cardiacs and related music.

As an old school fan, it took me a couple of years before I really took to Sing to God, but now I love it. That said, for a casual listen in the car, I will grab Seaside, OLAITS or SFS&I.
Because Sing to God requires a lot more from the listener, and some of the quieter parts get completely lost in the road noise.

Edited by LAM-SGC - March 05 2020 at 02:43
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:02
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ok I've bitten and ordered the first album on the list direct from their website. A band I've literally never heard at all , not even streaming wise.

That is the classic album that is by far the best. A lovely mix of shouty anthems, mad energy, and gentle reflection.

I'll be keen to hear what you think of it.
When I think back, I realise that Cardiacs and Kate Bush are the only artists I don't describe by comparing to other artists, I try to describe the music instead.

yep I'm really intrigued. This band gets name checked a heck of a lot round here. For some reason I'm thinking they are a modern version of Gentle Giant but I guess that isn't close Big smile
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:24

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Ok I've bitten and ordered the first album on the list direct from their website. A band I've literally never heard at all , not even streaming wise.

That is the classic album that is by far the best. A lovely mix of shouty anthems, mad energy, and gentle reflection.

I'll be keen to hear what you think of it.
When I think back, I realise that Cardiacs and Kate Bush are the only artists I don't describe by comparing to other artists, I try to describe the music instead.

yep I'm really intrigued. This band gets name checked a heck of a lot round here. For some reason I'm thinking they are a modern version of Gentle Giant but I guess that isn't close Big smile

No, sorry, but if you are expecting a Gentle Giant type prog band you Will be disappointed because that is not what they sound like at all. Haven't you listened to any of their stuff on YouTube? Most of it is on YouTube. If you imagine a really fiddly quirky combination of Magazine, X-ray Spex, Squeeze, The Damned, and Gentle Giant then you are getting close to their sound.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12