Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [73.91%]
6 [26.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Who vs the Kinks
    Posted: February 27 2020 at 15:50
there are many ways to construct polls about the two most creative bands bar the Beatles of the invation acts. From songwriting point of view vs concept albums and so on. But they both created a plateau of creativity for other bands to bealch in
Art rock in its most pure and direct form from originators of conceptual rock of riot rock. Of free spirited rock.

Edited by Icarium - February 29 2020 at 04:01
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 17:03
This is simply the 60s version of Blur vs Oasis. With The Kinks influencing Blur and The Who influencing Oasis. That said,while Blur were at times as interesting as The Kinks, Oasis were never as interesting as The Who.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 17:14
The Who
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 19:54
Mid 60s, about equal
Late 60s, the Kinks
Early 70s, the Who
Mid-late 70s, the Kinks
80s and beyond, about equal, slight edge to the Kinks

Overall, the Kinks
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 20:21
The Who, easy.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 20:59
Both are great.... but Tommy and Who's Next clinch The Who  for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 21:44
I am going for The Kinks.  Ray Davies wrote the most beautiful love song, ever, imo. 
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 00:51
Both bands wrote rock operas (Kinks win in quantity, but not in quality, IMHO), but It's The Who hands down for me. (never much into Kinks, TBH.

Can't beat Tommy, Leeds, Next and Quadro
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 01:05
Nothing against The Kinks (Something Else is really great album), but itīs the Who for me! Who is more important to me than Stones or Beatles.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 01:07
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

This is simply the 60s version of Blur vs Oasis. With The Kinks influencing Blur and The Who influencing Oasis. That said,while Blur were at times as interesting as The Kinks, Oasis were never as interesting as The Who.
Never liked at all Blur or Oasis. Or not much anything else from nineties UK (but I love P J Harvey & John Parish!).
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 06:57
The Who

(and Blur over Oasis)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 07:38
The Kinks are a poor man's Who. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 08:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The Kinks are a poor man's Who. Wink
Well, I think the Kinks is quite different animal than Who. But on the other hand in Kinks Arthur album is some Who. Also, Who went towards seventies sounds earlier than Kinks.

Edited by Mortte - February 28 2020 at 08:33
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 09:17
Defiantly The Who, I was never a big Kinks fan.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:31
Raymond Douglas is a songwriting giant - Townshed loved his stuff.  Dave had a tremendous influence on Townshend's approach to the electric guitar.  The Kinks influenced the Who but I don't think the inverse is true.

Give my vote to the Kinks though the Who and Townshend were my first love.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 15:45
The Who but I love both
"Happiness is real only when shared"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 01:23
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Maybe initially The Who influenced Oasis but that didn't stick. Remember Paul McCartney saying ' I think I've heard that before' commenting on Wonder Wall.

The Who were the only sixties band that could give the Beatles a run for their money in terms of importance and influence. The Kinks are not really anywhere close to those two imo.
It wasn't just the rock musicals but Who's Next is an undoubted classic. What did the Kinks do that came anywhere near that?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 02:00
Although Who is really big to me and got into Kinks never as much, I think Face To Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur & Lola are as classic albums as those Whoīs classic albums and I know people who think absolutely backward way of these bands as I. Also I know Kinks seventies albums have got respect, although I am not familiar at all of them. I think itīs just Kinks never made it on the same level as Who and I think itīs just how things go in this world, nothing to do with both bands quality of music.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2020 at 05:02
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Although Who is really big to me and got into Kinks never as much, I think Face To Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur & Lola are as classic albums as those Whoīs classic albums and I know people who think absolutely backward way of these bands as I. Also I know Kinks seventies albums have got respect, although I am not familiar at all of them. I think itīs just Kinks never made it on the same level as Who and I think itīs just how things go in this world, nothing to do with both bands quality of music.

I agree which much of that. For me, Pete Townshend and Ray Davies both improved as songwriters even after their initial impressive run of 'teen anthem' hits. You Really Got Me, I Can't Explain, My Generation and All Day and All of the Night etc are still thrilling 60's pop songs but in terms of maturity, depth, range, sophistication and craft they pale somewhat in comparison with much of the material that subsequently appeared on albums like Who's Next, Lola v Powerman, By Numbers, Who Are You and Muswell Hillbillies. Guess what?, both they and us had to be dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood with all the added responsibility, freedom and sacrifice that such entails (with Pete and Ray's additional burden of having to 'grow up in public.') Townshend is on record as acknowledging the Kinks as a major inspiration for most of the early Who singles. It's tempting to compare both bands given the amphetamine fueled rush of their Dansette 45s, art school origins and a tenuous Mod connection but they parted company forever stylistically circa Village Green Preservation Society. This was Davies' eulogy for a set of English values he felt were being destroyed by an all encompassing drive towards a corporate engineered modernity (maaan). That said, the Kinks 4 year ban from entering the USA in 1965 certainly forced Ray into such a conservative looking perspective and probably denied the Kinks their destiny as a band who could compete with the Stones, Who, Beatles et al during the British invasion peak years. They also both explored Rock as Theatre with the Who winning that laudable but ultimately doomed venture hands down i.e. the music on Tommy and Quadrophenia is way, way better than that of the Kinks efforts but the plot-lines would shame an earnest but truant drama student. The Kinks best work IMO is a type of insular English Rock folklore while the Who have always been an outward looking and declamatory beast. I love 'em both for completely different reasons.

Edited by ExittheLemming - February 29 2020 at 05:29
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 12:49
The Kinks are amazing but I love The Who
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>