Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CD Baby Retiring Online Store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CD Baby Retiring Online Store
    Posted: March 01 2020 at 08:16
FYI, CD Baby will be "retiring," it's online store presence on March 31st.  I am posting a link to the FAQ's regarding the closure.

They will still warehouse and ship CDs and vinyl, however, via orders placed through Amazon, Alliance, local record stores and other outlets.

Please see the link for other answers to questions you may have.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 02:10
Wow, what news! That site's been around what seems to be forever. I remember in high school (like, 2005) browsing that site during study hall on the lab PC's looking for DEATH CD's, lol. End of an era!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 02:46
Yeah, this is certainly sad news. Though IIRC it seemed like they were declining in the past 5 or so years. Still...got some good sttuff from them. Maybe ill have another poke around/ 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 08:05
Recently it seemed like they would sell CDs from their own site for more money than other sites that would say the CDs were coming from CD Baby. Especially Amazon. Why would they bother to continue paying to maintain a website when they can't compete with others already distributing their products?
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 08:41
One of their downsides was that, for instance, on Amazon, you couldn't purchase a stream of a single track that lasted over 10 minutes, which I didn't really know until I was already committed (to their institution  LOL).  Kind of hard for a progressive artist's repertoire to not include 10+ minute pieces, although in my case, it was just one.  Bandcamp was a lot easier to work with, but of course, they are stand-alone, and if you do sell CD's through them, you then ship them yourself as well.  That all being said, CD Baby did a great job of manufacturing the CDs, covering the various streaming outlets for me and also quickly answering any questions I had before, during and after the process.

Edited by Snicolette - March 02 2020 at 08:42
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 16:32
Thanks Nickie for notification, and sorry to hear that really. Physical stuffs cannot be sold so easily as digitally downloadable material, although I always look forward to their products ...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 17:30
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Thanks Nickie for notification, and sorry to hear that really. Physical stuffs cannot be sold so easily as digitally downloadable material, although I always look forward to their products ...
  I still prefer to buy a CD when an artist has them available, I like the format.  But know most people are buying digitally these days.  Businesses change with the times.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2020 at 19:05
Wow, I might place an order or two before they close shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply