How many listen exclusively to prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many listen exclusively to prog?
    Posted: April 02 2020 at 20:27
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The only reason why Kind of Blue (1959) is in PA is because of our complete discography policy.
But is that policy consistently applied? For example:

Originally posted by Fred Frith biography Fred Frith biography wrote:

Given the sheer size and scope of Frith's discography, the entries here will initially be restricted to solo projects which broadly speaking can be classified as rock music.

PA can be accused of many things, consistency is not one of them. In all seriousness though, it does say initially, indicating that the plan was to add less PA relevant albums later, or at least to be open to members adding them. You gotta start somewhere. I would expect there to be many many acts without full discographies, those can be very time consuming to add, especially when one adds an artist. I would focus on the most relevant ones first. One might not get around to adding later ones or wait to see if other members choose to add them. As a voluntary site, and the way things work here, I don’t think one could expect it to be really consistent, but that doesn’t negate that old policy. Every member can help by adding missing albums, and if it is a proper release by the artist or band, then our compete discography policy means that those have a right to be listed in the discography.

Edited by Logan - April 02 2020 at 20:47
Just a fanboy passin' through.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 20:08
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Just wondering -- how many of us listen to prog and only prog? I suspect the answer is few, but I may be way off base, who knows? If you do listen to other music as well, who are your favorite two or three artists?

*sticks out chest* Of course I listen to freakin prog and only prog. The other night I was riding back from somewhere with a friend and he had a cd playing. I asked him, "is this.. prog?" And he said, "No I don't think so, it's Bruce Spingsteen." So of course I immediately said, "Stop the car!" And so he stopped and let me out. Was a 10 mile walk back, but darn it.. no. No!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 03:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The only reason why Kind of Blue (1959) is in PA is because of our complete discography policy.
But is that policy consistently applied? For example:

Originally posted by Fred Frith biography Fred Frith biography wrote:

Given the sheer size and scope of Frith's discography, the entries here will initially be restricted to solo projects which broadly speaking can be classified as rock music.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 00:08
Everything I listen to is prog even if it isn't considered prog. WinkTongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 14:47
I would include all of the studio album releases from 1969 to 1974, and the 1970s live albums. Bitches Brew is 1970. That's about 10 albums worth.

I love the Electric Miles period.

EDIT: By the way, my favourite Davis studio albums irregardless of how well they fit JRF during that time are In a Silent Way, Big Fun and Get Up With It. For those who love Bitches Brew, I heartily recommend Donald Byrd's Electric Byrd (which I proposed to JRF many years ago).    Byrd was rather hopping on the Bitches Brew bandwagon, but I actually prefer it to Bitches Brew.

My favourite of Miles Davis earlier (pre-Electric Miles) albums is Sketches of Spain. And Nefertiti and Sorcerer from 1967 are I think awesome. And the compilation Circle in the Round, which consists of outtakes has some really great for my ears music.

Edited by Logan - March 31 2020 at 16:16
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 14:39
I understand that. I guess an album like Bitches Brew would count as jazz/rock fusion too?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 12:08
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I just discovered that Miles Davis and Weather Report are listed under jazz/rock fusion, so I have two more albums in that category.

]However, the Miles Davis album in question was Kind of Blue, and I can't hear any rock elements in it...

The only reason why Kind of Blue (1959) is in PA is because of our complete discography policy. It's not JRF in the slightest, it's modal jazz. I'd say that Davis was performing and recording music that was good to have in PA under our JRF category between 1968 and 1975. His electric Miles period: especially the In a Silent Way to Get Up With It studio album period, plus the live albums Agharta, Pangaea, Dark Magus, and Live-Evil are why he's in PA (and I could add his earlier Filles de Kilimanjaro).

There are of course plenty of albums by many artists that don't fit the category parameters, are not the albums that the acts were included for, but are here primarily because of our complete discography policy. A band might make 20 albums and only be included at the site for one of them (a reason why I like album tagging with multiple labels).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 08:31
I just discovered that Miles Davis and Weather Report are listed under jazz/rock fusion, so I have two more albums in that category.

However, the Miles Davis album in question was Kind of Blue, and I can't hear any rock elements in it...

Edited by The Anders - March 31 2020 at 08:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 07:04
I went through my music collection just for fun and counted the albums I own either as a physical media (most of them) or as a digital download. This is the outcome.

Albums are listed according to their categories on this site (that is, for the band, regardless of the style of the actual album). For albums by bands that are not on Progarchives, I made alternative categories. These are based on the album, not the band, so some bands there may expand several genres due to stylistic changes. The genre definitions are at best approximate, and many of the albums could easily be categorized as something else.

According to Progarchives:
Crossover prog: 13
Eclectic prog: 5
Jazz-rock fusion: 5
Krautrock: 5
Post Rock / Math rock: 1
Proto prog: 32
Prog folk: 1
Prog related: 35
Progressive electronic: 4
Psychedelic / Space rock: 12
RIO/Avant prog: 3
Rock Progressivo Italiano: 2
Symphonic prog: 4
Zeuhl: 1

Not related to Progarchives:
Afrobeat: 2
Alternative rock: 25
AOR: 3
Baroque pop: 4
Beat: 2
Blues rock: 20
Britpop: 8
Comedy: 7
Classical: Pre-1600: 3
Classical: Baroque: 3
Classical: Classicism: 42
Classical: Romanticism: 25
Classical: Post-1914: 22
Could classify as crossover prog?: 2
Could classify as eclectic prog?: 2
Darkwave: 1
Electro pop: 1
Electro rock: 2
Experimental mix of classical, pop, electronic and jazz : 1
Experimental, other: 1
Folk music (any type): 8
Folktronica: 10
Funk: 1
Funk metal: 2
Funk pop: 3
Glam rock: 2
Grunge: 2
Grunge related: 7
Hard rock: 11
Jazz-rock fusions, other: 6
Indie pop: 12
Indie rock: 8
Industrial avant-garde: 4
Jazz: 6
Jazz-electronic: 2
Latin-American genres: 1
Lyric rock and singer/songwriter: 76
Metal: 3
Musical: 1
New wave: 14
Other classic rock: 20
Other rock: 3
Outsider (?): 1
Pop: 20
Pop punk: 1
Post punk: 12
Proto punk: 2
Progg and political rock: 15
Punk: 6
Punk related: 2
Rap: 2
Reggae: 4
Reggae related: 10
Rock, experimental electronics, folk and bossa fusions: 1
Soul and Motown: 16
Spoken word: 4
Stadium rock: 12
Triphop: 3
Triphop related: 2
Vise: 8
Westcoast rock: 3
"Whining rock": 8

Edited by The Anders - March 31 2020 at 07:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 18:53
Not me. I listen to some prog of course, but probably more to "art rock" (whatever that means - no one seems to agree, but rock with an intellectual depth and/or containing musical experimentation, f.e. with avant-garde).

And then there is a lot of "classic rock", classical music, folk music, folktronica, some soul, reggae, occasionally some electronic music, and a bit of jazz. Plus music from many different corners of the world. I sometimes like straight forward rock too (e.g. Stones). Then there's a lot of Danish rock music, especially "lyric rock", but I guess it is difficult to introduce to people who don't understand the language. Some hard rock, but I am very selective there. I also do have a beating heart for really well crafted pop music. I really like ABBA for instance.

But then, all these genre boundaries are rarely useful in the end, and the most interesting music usually doesn't fit into one category anyway...

Edited by The Anders - March 30 2020 at 19:02
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 06:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

that would be a shame
It's not intentional that I only have 6% of prog in my collection. It's just that classic prog on CD is really hard to get hold of. Smile

Sorry for late reply, was not answering your post, was answering the original post

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 02:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Like I said, I have at least five aquaintances that demonstrate the music exclusivity personality trait. And of those only two are proggers....as with all personality traits, I would posit that everbody is on the spectrum including myself!

It's definitely not only prog listeners.  Metalheads are probably the most hung up on music exclusivity.  

Can confirm. Metal heads are arguably the most insufferable fans. Prog is a close second when it's bad, though. The elitism is strong in both camps.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:58
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Like I said, I have at least five aquaintances that demonstrate the music exclusivity personality trait. And of those only two are proggers....as with all personality traits, I would posit that everbody is on the spectrum including myself!

It's definitely not only prog listeners.  Metalheads are probably the most hung up on music exclusivity.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:49
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:43
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Here's the thing. This reminds me of a conversation someone could have about what kind of music they like. Bob: "Joe, what kind of music do you like?" Joe:"Well, Bob I like all kinds except, country and rap. Oh and I don't like grunge either, or hair metal or thrash metal, or death metal. Also, not big into alternative or new wave. That reminds me I hate 80's music. It's so cheesy. Bob: "what about prog rock?" Joe: "I'm a big prog rock fan but I don't like anything that is poppy or commercial sounding. It has to be real prog so Asia, Styx or post moving pictures Rush. Oh that reminds me I don't like arena rock either which is what some of thosebands are. And also neo prog. It's not even prog. It's garbage. Bob: So you only like prog? Joe: No, I didn't say that. I like classicaland jazz too but not smooth jazz and not the poppy jazz stuff it has to be real jazz like Coletrane or Monk. For classical it can only be 19th century and late 18 th century. Nothing else is real classical. It's either baroque which is crap or 20th century which is also crap.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking their aren't music fans like Joe out there. On the surface he claims to be into a wide variety and although he didn't say it in this dialogue he probably thinks he's really open minded when it comes to music. A closer examination tells us he's really a bit of a snob. I'm ok with that as long as people admit it. A lot of hipsters(ie indie rock fans)are snobs when it comes to music also. I see it a lot on this site too where people say they hate Asia and commercial stuff which in my mind also means they hate arena rock which in turn(also in my mind)mean they hate a lot of classic rock and stuff played on the radio. I can't imagine them disliking arena rock yet liking any rock played on the radio from the 80's. As you can see there is a snowball effect in play here. For me personally I can be a bit picky with what I like and listen to but with few exceptions rarely will not like a whole genre or subgenre of music.

You'd think it was easier for Joe to just list the genres he liked. LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 12:37
So you demoted him from friend to aquaintance because he was too much of a prog snob? LOL Hey, that works for me. ;)
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 11:42
Just for clarity's sake, the person I referred to was a friend, who became an acquaintance, who eventually vanished from my hemisphere and, sadly, is not missed at all.
Although he did turn me onto Univers Zero and Present, before they became too popular.

PROGMATIC
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 10:31
Here's the thing. This reminds me of a conversation someone could have about what kind of music they like. Bob: "Joe, what kind of music do you like?" Joe:"Well, Bob I like all kinds except, country and rap. Oh and I don't like grunge either, or hair metal or thrash metal, or death metal. Also, not big into alternative or new wave. That reminds me I hate 80's music. It's so cheesy. Bob: "what about prog rock?" Joe: "I'm a big prog rock fan but I don't like anything that is poppy or commercial sounding. It has to be real prog so no Asia, Styx or post moving pictures Rush. Oh that reminds me I don't like arena rock either which is what some of those bands are. And also neo prog. It's not even prog. It's garbage. Bob: So you only like prog? Joe: No, I didn't say that. I like classical and jazz too but not smooth jazz and not the poppy jazz stuff it has to be real jazz like Coletrane or Monk. For classical it can only be 19th century and late 18 th century. Nothing else is real classical. It's either baroque which is crap or 20th century which is also crap.

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking their aren't music fans like Joe out there. On the surface he claims to be into a wide variety and although he didn't say it in this dialogue he probably thinks he's really open minded when it comes to music. A closer examination tells us he's really a bit of a snob. I'm ok with that as long as people admit it. A lot of hipsters(ie indie rock fans)are snobs when it comes to music also. I see it a lot on this site too where people say they hate Asia and commercial stuff which in my mind also means they hate arena rock which in turn(also in my mind)mean they hate a lot of classic rock and stuff played on the radio. I can't imagine them disliking arena rock yet liking any rock played on the radio from the 80's. As you can see there is a snowball effect in play here. For me personally I can be a bit picky with what I like and listen to but with few exceptions rarely will not like a whole genre or subgenre of music.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 31 2020 at 00:09
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

I have a friend who is a prog snob. He ONLY listens to prog and his prog groups are always better than yours, because they're more obscure. If you've heard of it, it's too commercial. If he likes a band and suddenly the band gains some popularity, he will no longer like them because they've "sold out" (even if it's the same album he previously liked).
I'm glad to read that he's the exception. I love prog. I have more than 3,400 albums and probably 60 percent is prog. But I also love folk, English folk, fusion, '50s, '60s and early '70s pop, some indie rock, some classic rock,music for nostalgia's sake and much more.
Can't understand my friend's elitist attitude. (At least I don't have to worry about him reading this -- this site is "too commercial" for him to visit).

He sounds like a dick. You choose your friends.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 09:30
I have a friend who is a prog snob. He ONLY listens to prog and his prog groups are always better than yours, because they're more obscure. If you've heard of it, it's too commercial. If he likes a band and suddenly the band gains some popularity, he will no longer like them because they've "sold out" (even if it's the same album he previously liked).
I'm glad to read that he's the exception. I love prog. I have more than 3,400 albums and probably 60 percent is prog. But I also love folk, English folk, fusion, '50s, '60s and early '70s pop, some indie rock, some classic rock,music for nostalgia's sake and much more.
Can't understand my friend's elitist attitude. (At least I don't have to worry about him reading this -- this site is "too commercial" for him to visit).
PROGMATIC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>