5 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [46.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Platforming?
    Posted: March 03 2020 at 03:59
No Platforming:

"the practice of refusing someone an opportunity to make their ideas or beliefs known publicly, because you think these beliefs are dangerous or unacceptable"

Bearing in mind that legislation already exists to curb speech that will likely incite actual violence and disorder, where do you stand on no platforming of individuals or organisations whose perspectives are merely unpopular, or considered 'off colour' within the context of the current Zeitgeist, or 'Overton window' ?

This really refers to colleges and universities, where the student union (UK) has had a policy of no platforming since the early 70's, but in recent years the list of perspectives deemed off limits seems to have grown. The Oxford Union - to its credit - has allowed some very controversial speakers to address the student audience; Steve Bannon, Kate Hopkins, Tommy Robinson, and for the students to challenge their views in Q&A, but some colleges have banned speakers for relatively minor social faux pas's. Germaine Greer being a good example, barred from addressing the student union at Cardiff University in Wales, UK, for expressing the belief that a trans woman is not an 'actual' woman, and receiving death threats for expressing the view.

Regardless of your specific views on contentious issues, do you support or reject the principle of no platforming?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 05:44
Something that has always irked me are those (predominantly) far right political parties who demand the right to express their views citing that denying them this exposure would be an affront to democracy and free speech. Yet their avowed aims and manifestos are invariably totalitarian/undemocratic in the extreme and would result in all dissent or opposition being criminalised as their first act upon election. (That's why I voted 'No' with caveats) I also think the current trend in further education establishments where 'safe spaces' are being created under the pretext of protecting vulnerable minorities is disingenuous and counter productive to polemical or critical thinking that strives towards inclusivity. This type of 'snowflake husbandry' is starting to appear in the workplace where even the mildest rebuke or hint of criticism in written or verbal communication is castigated as negativity or worse still, abuse that can be escalated to grounds for disciplinary action/dismissal etc.
As an aside, is 'zero tolerance' for (insert something you consider indefensible here) just intolerance with a majority on your side?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 05:54
^ I mostly agree. The era of free speech (or much less restrictive speech) ended with the advent of safe spaces. But there have always been caveats. You couldn't yell fire in a crowded theater if there really wasn't one.

Edited by SteveG - March 03 2020 at 10:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 10:00
For some, giving nazis freedom to speak satisfies their "ivory towered" idealistic notions of free speech for everyone, while to others, depending on their race and religion, giving nazis freedom to speak can lead to murder and mayhem for their family for generations to come.

Edited by Easy Money - March 03 2020 at 10:58
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 10:07

Whatever happened to "I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it"?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 11:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I wouldn't expect a nazi to defend anything except your right to say yes sir.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

For some, giving nazis freedom to speak satisfies their "ivory towered" idealistic notions of free speech for everyone, while to others, depending on their race and religion, giving nazis freedom to speak can lead to murder and mayhem for their family for generations to come.

Does this apply to communists as well? 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 11:31

That still exists but I fear less and less so as time moves on. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 11:51

Let me restate my post with emphasis added: What ever happed to "I hate what you say but I defend your right  to say it"?

In Nazi Germany, citizens had no rights. No one could speak unless it was party approved propaganda and forget about any other personal liberties or rights like due process or a fair trial.

You brought up the Nazi's twice so far but you miss the irony of your statements. Is this what happens when someone is in a safe zone?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 12:31

Let me restate my post with emphasis added: What ever happed to "I hate what you say but I defend your right  to say it"?

In Nazi Germany, citizens had no rights. No one could speak unless it was party approved propaganda and forget about any other personal liberties or rights like due process or a fair trial.

You brought up the Nazi's twice so far but you miss the irony of your statements. Is this what happens when someone is in a safe zone?
I agree with what you say about citizens under nazi rule having no rights. What was the ironic part you refer to?
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 13:35
The great poet Percy Bysshe Shelley was expelled from Oxford University, because of his essay entitled "The Necessity of Atheism". Nowadays such a thing wouldn't probably result in expulsion, yet it is also thanks to such courageous figures.

In Turkey, such things are very complicated. Even if we are not -deemed- a free country, we randomly encounter appalling, unacceptable, blasphemous etc. statements; or come across revolutionary utterances and bold people going against the grain, in a positive context.

Edited by Shadowyzard - March 03 2020 at 13:35
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 16:45

I used to be of this opinion but I no longer believe that a society can ensure safety to all of its inhabitants when deliberate hate speech of any kind is allowed to spread unchecked, and in this regard I support Karl Popper's stance that tolerant societies have a right of self-preservation against acts of intolerance. Direct incitements to violence and threats should obviously not be allowed but I think there should also be laws against more insidious means of hatemongering. To name an obvious example, I live in a country where denying the Holocaust is forbidden by law and I think that's a good thing because I frankly don't believe that anyone claiming to be a Holocaust denier actually believes a thing that they're saying and that what they actually believe is that the Holocaust did happen and that it was a great thing, but of course they can't say that so instead they try to disguise their ideology under a palatable veneer of scepticism and critical thinking, when in reality their only goal is to smear and dehumanize the Jewish community to the point where persecution and eventually genocide becomes socially acceptable again.

My view is biased because I am a member of a particular group that is in current times subject to a disproportionate amount of vilification and abuse (to the point where I'm afraid to express and present myself the way I would like in most contexts), but I do not hold the illusion that hateful people have honourable intentions or that their ideology contributes something of value to society.

Edited by Mirakaze - March 03 2020 at 16:46
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:13
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I used to be of this opinion but I no longer believe that a society can ensure safety to all of its inhabitants when deliberate hate speech of any kind is allowed to spread unchecked, and in this regard I support Karl Popper's stance that tolerant societies have a right of self-preservation against acts of intolerance. Direct incitements to violence and threats should obviously not be allowed but I think there should also be laws against more insidious means of hatemongering. To name an obvious example, I live in a country where denying the Holocaust is forbidden by law and I think that's a good thing because I frankly don't believe that anyone claiming to be a Holocaust denier actually believes a thing that they're saying and that what they actually believe is that the Holocaust did happen and that it was a great thing, but of course they can't say that so instead they try to disguise their ideology under a palatable veneer of scepticism and critical thinking, when in reality their only goal is to smear and dehumanize the Jewish community to the point where persecution and eventually genocide becomes socially acceptable again.

My view is biased because I am a member of a particular group that is in current times subject to a disproportionate amount of vilification and abuse (to the point where I'm afraid to express and present myself the way I would like in most contexts), but I do not hold the illusion that hateful people have honourable intentions or that their ideology contributes something of value to society.

So where would you draw your line in the sand? making the soviet gulag denial a crime, making the Armenian genocide denial a crime? (insert your choice of atrocity founded upon sectarian intolerance here  - the list goes on) There is precisely zero evidence that banning certain speech is going to change what anyone actually wants to believe. Holocaust denial should be tackled in schools, universities and the media, not the courts. Currently only 9 EU countries have laws against holocaust denial and for good reason: you can make a very compelling argument that criminalizing such speech merely fans the flames of perceived persecution that racists, anti-Semites and xenophobes love to exploit.

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 03 2020 at 17:24
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:23
Lenny Bruce was famous for, among other things, saying "Don't take away my words".   He had a difficult career, in and out of court, and had a sad end.   I support his right to having expressed himself honestly.   He wouldn't have been as funny or innovative without it.

That said, the notion that words can't hurt you is just incorrect.   Words can hurt, destroy, slander, even kill, and the weight they carry must be recognized.   The pen is mightier than the sword, and words ~ like power ~ should be wielded with great responsibility and caution.

Edited by Atavachron - March 03 2020 at 17:24
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:46
No, with caviar and a bottle of champagne. Voted for no, with caveats.

I'd describe myself as a moral situationalist, and would take various university incidents on something of a case-by-case basis.

I like the sunlight is the best disinfectant concept. When you make expressing ideas illegal, or very taboo, this can make them all the more appealing, and render things more conspiratorial. "Hear the truth that THEY don't want YOU to hear". Pushing people underground can be very dangerous, and resentments will build, and it can create more of an "us vs. them" mentality. Such people can find networks or go lone-wolf. Better to know they exist commonly, and how great a concern should one be rather than pushing it under the carpet.

In university establishments, I like the idea that bad ideas, good ideas, neutral ideas and all sorts of ideas can be challenged. Challenging what you believe is important to me. Ridicule, including self-ridicule, is important.
I don't believe that educational institutions need give everyone a platform certainly not, but great care should be taken with de-platforming. Sometimes it is a security issue, sometimes it's because a minority of very vocal students complain very loudly. And in various cases, I believe those students are ignorant. I don't like to see those organisers psuhing for de-platformg, with decorum and according to strict guidelines, get a chance to formally debate those they wish to de-platform or at least ask questions. If the ideas of those they despise are unreasonable., they can help to expose that.

At one Canadian university (such incidents have happened multiple times including at my alma mater) they had a controversial speaker (controversial because of something he wrote years ago). A group of students had tried to de-platform, but the speaking engagement was not stopped. Those students were permitted to exercise "their free speech" by banging gongs, shouting swear words, and chanting while the speaker was at the podium. I think the students should not have been given that platform, and if such things happened and they were told that they were not allowed to, suspended or expelled. It was so crass and juvenile, and it was disrespectful to everyone in the audience. Such a thing should not have been permitted.

In Canada, I have been quite concerned about our hate speech laws, and amendments, and some local incidents.. Sometimes these are pushed by very vocal minorities who can't seem to tolerate any criticism. That said, we do need various laws that govern speech, including defamation and libel laws, when people incite violence, or create danger and health risks by shouting fire in a crowded urinal....

Edited by Logan - March 03 2020 at 17:50
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Lenny Bruce was famous for, among other things, saying "Don't take away my words".   He had a difficult career, in and out of court, and had a sad end.   I support his right to having expressed himself honestly.   He wouldn't have been as funny or innovative without it.

That said, the notion that words can't hurt you is just incorrect.   Words can hurt, destroy, slander, even kill, and the weight they carry must be recognized.   The pen is mightier than the sword, and words ~ like power ~ should be wielded with great responsibility and caution.

Don't you mean the mouth? Who uses a pen any more?

Anyway, don't know that one is mightier than the other. They are more or less homicidal siblings. Like the Menendez brothers.

Originally posted by Mirkaze Mirkaze wrote:

....I frankly don't believe that anyone claiming to be a Holocaust denier actually believes a thing that they're saying and that what they actually believe is that the Holocaust did happen and that it was a great thing, but of course they can't say that so instead they try to disguise their ideology under a palatable veneer of scepticism and critical thinking, when in reality their only goal is to smear and dehumanize the Jewish community to the point where persecution and eventually genocide becomes socially acceptable again...

I wish I could believe that, but we are clearly living in a post-fact world where beliefs are not beliefs to the believer. They are truths to them in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And I don't mean the metaphysical stuff that makes the basis for religious/spiritual belief, I'm talking about things that happen on a daily basis. And anything outside of the scope of their immediate experience (any genocide, moon landing, rape allegations against malignant narcissist Cheetos) is nothing more than subterfuge meant to scramble their belief system and should be summarily denied, if not violently suppressed.    

That being said, I am certainly not arguing that either scenario of cognitive dissonance is more pallatable than the other. 

Edited by Tapfret - March 03 2020 at 17:58
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 18:24
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Lenny Bruce was famous for, among other things, saying "Don't take away my words".   He had a difficult career, in and out of court, and had a sad end.   I support his right to having expressed himself honestly.   He wouldn't have been as funny or innovative without it.

That said, the notion that words can't hurt you is just incorrect.   Words can hurt, destroy, slander, even kill, and the weight they carry must be recognized.   The pen is mightier than the sword, and words ~ like power ~ should be wielded with great responsibility and caution.
Don't you mean the mouth? Who uses a pen any more?

No, I mean the pen.   It's a metaphor most people still know and understand.   Who uses their mouth anymore?   Surely you mean a keyboard.

Either way, you get the point.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 03:15
There is a tendency to jump to extreme examples in these debates; references to Nazi's etc. There are already laws in place to prevent actual incitement to violence.

I'm talking more about no platforming people who may, for example believe that abortion is wrong, or immigration is too high. Should the student population be 'protected' from these perspectives, by the student union, banning such speakers on campus? What about the rights of the students who disagree with the speaker but want to hear them speak, so they can challenge their position in Q&A? Why should the rights of the self appointed defenders of virtue, override those of everyone else?

Another assumption, often made by the left is that any advocate for free speech is a fascist, which is clearly incorrect. It depresses me that the right seemed to have claimed the free speech argument, from the left these days, and the left appear to be trying to shut everything down, and ban everything that doesn't smell right to them. It's largely because of this, that you have madman and right wing nutjob in the Whitehouse, because the left - or relative left - doesn't represent anyone anymore, beyond the left wing middle class students and the LGBT community.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 03:28
I think the whole problem of free speech is that people can't shut up.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 04:02
Originally posted by handwrist handwrist wrote:

I think the whole problem of free speech is that people can't shut up.
Wouldn't it be sad if you weren't allowed to complain about free speech?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>