Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands Successfully Reflecting Their Old Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 19:41
I'm not sure how successful it was but Yes on the Keys to ascension studio tracks from the mid 90's. It always seemed to me like they were trying to throw a bone to their hardcore fan base with those who were(are) obsessed with just the 70's era. 
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 19:52
Steeleye Span!
PROGMATIC
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 20:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure how successful it was but Yes on the Keys to ascension studio tracks from the mid 90's. It always seemed to me like they were trying to throw a bone to their hardcore fan base with those who were(are) obsessed with just the 70's era. 

They did it, too. Those KTA tracks = the best Yes had done in a LONG time. Wakey was sizzlin'!  Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2020 at 23:58
Agree with many suggestions especially Eloy and Hackett but also would add Kayak. Seventeen was a strong album but I like the 'prog opera' trilogy of Merlin, Nostradamus and Cleopatra as well.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 00:42
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

They did it, too. Those KTA tracks = the best Yes had done in a LONG time. Wakey was sizzlin'!  Wink

Too derivative to me and it just seems like they were trying too hard to recapture their golden era. Imagine a sixty year old man trying to lose weight and get into shape just so he can fit into clothes he wore when he was in his twenties? That's how I see it more or less. I still like it to some degree but I enjoy talk more and I even think the Ladder was better at finding the balance between an old and newer sound. The keys stuff doesn't even try to be modern it's just hey let's go in the recording studio and pretend it's 1972 again. So the prog fanboy in me likes it but over all it seems a bit too contrived for me personally.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 04 2020 at 00:43
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:13
I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said; but now I have some new albums to check out!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:19
Faust haven´t mentioned, their last "Fresh Air" really is as it´s name!!

Haikara made really great two albums in the nineties-2000.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 02:04
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

As a big fan of the first two Haikara albums I’ve been meaning to check these out. Just read your very useful reviews of them and I think I will track the CDs down - thanks!

Edited by Mascodagama - March 04 2020 at 02:05
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 03:31
Magma for sure. I like KA and FT (2000s) better than Kontharkoz or Udo Wudu (70s).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 03:52
I’ll join in on Magma. Also really dug the recent Brainticket album (RIP)...but generally speaking I find far more interesting releases in younger artists’ oevre. Like Italiano Jim used to say: rock is a young man’s game.
...with the rare exception here and there
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 04:43

Prog rock stars Genesis announce reunion 

Here's hoping the reunion sparks some interest in releasing some new material together as well Tongue

Tickets for the Last Domino tour go on sale at 9am on 6 March. Genesis will play:

16 November - Dublin 3 arena
19 Nov – Belfast SSE arena
23 Nov – Liverpool M&S Bank arena
26 Nov – Leeds First Direct arena
29 Nov – London O2 arena
30 Nov – London O2 arena
2 December – Manchester arena
5 Dec – Birmingham arena
8 Dec – Glasgow SSE Hydro arena
11 Dec – Newcastle Utilita arena

Edited by Enchant X - March 04 2020 at 04:45
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 04:46
Strawbs! Still trying to re-capture their golden era of prog. They came very close with The Ferryman's Curse album while many other 70s prog stalwarts just go through the motions. Not a fan of VDGG but they have been doing the same.

Edited by SteveG - March 04 2020 at 04:49
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 05:00
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Originally posted by foregonillusions foregonillusions wrote:

Kansas' 2016 album, The Prelude Implicit, is a good example.

Hear hear.New album coming out in June.
I can't wait till June comes I get the feeling the new album from Kansas will be fantastic if 'The Prelude Implicit' is anything to go by . Tongue
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 05:36
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

As a big fan of the first two Haikara albums I’ve been meaning to check these out. Just read your very useful reviews of them and I think I will track the CDs down - thanks!
I believe you mean MattiSmile, because he´s the one who´s made reviews in PA (I have made in Finnish colossus sites, but they´re Finnish, guess you aren´t that hardcore you´ve learnt Finnish language LOL) Anyway our names are really close: Martti & Matti.

Have to say they aren´t as great as bands two first albums, but anyway really great for an old prog band. Also it could be difficult to find Tuhkamaa, I managed only download it from that Italian record company sites.

Edited by Mortte - March 04 2020 at 05:39
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 06:46

I believe you mean MattiSmile, because he´s the one who´s made reviews in PA (I have made in Finnish colossus sites, but they´re Finnish, guess you aren´t that hardcore you´ve learnt Finnish language LOL) Anyway our names are really close: Martti & Matti.

Have to say they aren´t as great as bands two first albums, but anyway really great for an old prog band. Also it could be difficult to find Tuhkamaa, I managed only download it from that Italian record company sites.
Yes I meant Matti

Apologies to you both!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 09:33

Yes I meant Matti

Apologies to you both!
It´s ok Big smile, accidents happen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 10:02
I think the Genesis announcement deserves it's own thread. Apparently it is legit though.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:19
I wouldn't say Camel's Rajaz is a return to its former potency, but it certainly is a beautiful masterpiece. Rush's Snakes and Arrows was a very nice nod to its original punch.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:38

Too derivative to me and it just seems like they were trying too hard to recapture their golden era.

How can they be derivative when it's their sound? It was a line-up sans Rabin. I do like Trevor (especially his pre-Yes rock), but I welcomed the return to the G4T1/Tormato sound. "That, That Is" and "Mind Drive" were the tonic we needed after the underwhelming Talk and the abysmal OYE.

Imagine a sixty year old man trying to lose weight and get into shape just so he can fit into clothes he wore when he was in his twenties? That's how I see it more or less. I still like it to some degree but I enjoy talk more and I even think the Ladder was better at finding the balance between an old and newer sound. The keys stuff doesn't even try to be modern it's just hey let's go in the recording studio and pretend it's 1972 again. So the prog fanboy in me likes it but over all it seems a bit too contrived for me personally.

Exactly what they're doing now, especially with Chris gone. Yes needs to hang it up. They're no better than Foreigner.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 14:50

Too derivative to me and it just seems like they were trying too hard to recapture their golden era.

How can they be derivative when it's their sound? It was a line-up sans Rabin. I do like Trevor (especially his pre-Yes rock), but I welcomed the return to the G4T1/Tormato sound. "That, That Is" and "Mind Drive" were the tonic we needed after the underwhelming Talk and the abysmal OYE.

Imagine a sixty year old man trying to lose weight and get into shape just so he can fit into clothes he wore when he was in his twenties? That's how I see it more or less. I still like it to some degree but I enjoy talk more and I even think the Ladder was better at finding the balance between an old and newer sound. The keys stuff doesn't even try to be modern it's just hey let's go in the recording studio and pretend it's 1972 again. So the prog fanboy in me likes it but over all it seems a bit too contrived for me personally.

Exactly what they're doing now, especially with Chris gone. Yes needs to hang it up. They're no better than Foreigner.

At one point it was their sound but the band evolved. For them to do that is like ignoring the pop success they had in the eighties which is exactly what the Yes prog snobs wanted(the "everything after GFTO sucks" mentality). To do a tip of the hat to their old sound is one thing but to revisit it for nostalgia sake they way the way did on the keys albums is another thing entirely. Nothing really wrong with that if that's what you are into but at least call it tales part 2 or "close to the edge the return" or something. I guess the RD cover art work was enough for most people. We all have our own opinions on this and I don't expect most to agree with me but that's the way I see it. Anyway, I'm done discussing this. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 04 2020 at 14:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>