Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Quotes, Proverbs etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 13:40
This one is probably my favourite proverb of our culture. It has a universal appeal and validity too, I think. (Think it like a narration of an event in the past tense. Its Turkish is like that.)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 14:11
Keith Richards:- "Some doctor told me I had six months to live and I went to his funeral."

George Best:- "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 15:08
Time and tide wait for no man.  Geoffrey Chaucer

For those that want details on or related to this saying: http://random-idea-english.blogspot.com/2014/02/random-thoughts-on-time-and-tide-wait.html
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 12:46
Child and old are always the wisest.
                — Rhaugilath the Ageless
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2021 at 15:11
The verse I've just finished writing. I assure you that it is completely original. I wasn't influenced by any Eurorhymes, nor was I in weed dreams while creating my unprecedentedly original and serious masterpiece.

Swift grins of made-up cheese;
Hoo, am I to, to suck grease?
Ravelled the world up, heaven sees;
A free buddy is cooking for some king.
— Random Riellor
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:02
"Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone and solitude expresses the glory of being alone." - Tillich
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:05
"Doubt is not the opposite of faith; it is one element of faith." - Tillich
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 06:06
"Decision is a risk rooted in the courage of being free." - Tillich
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 07:47
 "As the philosopher Jagger once said,  You can always get what you want..."  Greg House 

Edited by Argo2112 - June 30 2021 at 07:49
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 07:59
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 06:26
gCairns View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gCairns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 09:02
Learning never exhausts the mind. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 09:11
Inspired by the one above:

Exhaustive knowledge is exhausting, or at least boring... — Shadowyzard
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 10:42
Almost anything by Terry Pratchett, some examples below:

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying ‘End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH’, the paint wouldn’t even have time to dry.”

“If cats looked like frogs we’d realize what nasty, cruel little b*****ds they are. Style. That’s what people remember.”

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”

and of course..

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2021 at 16:24
Almost anything by the musical conductor Sir Thomas Beecham, whose wit and sayings were priceless, compiled in the book, "Beecham Stories".

My favorite Beecham quote-Conductor Sir Malcom Sargent was touring the Middle East, and was detained for a bit; he called up Sir Thomas and told him, "I was touring the Middle East doing concerts and was detained for a bit, but then finally released."  Beecham replied, "Released?! Did they hear you play?"LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2021 at 10:00
LKF
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2021 at 10:50
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2021 at 11:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 11:15
"Bacteria and cancers are teaching us the same lesson that we are learning in other aspects of our relationship with nature: namely, that life resists reductionist approaches and bounces back with complex behaviours that thwart our optimistic strategies to dominate it." For the full essay, visit here: https://aeon.co/essays/the-future-is-nano-and-it-will-revolutionise-medical-science
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2021 at 11:43
A few good ones from Soren Kierkegaard:

"Once you label me you negate me."

"Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced."

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>