Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Reunion 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis Reunion 2020
    Posted: March 03 2020 at 17:38
I have been following this rumor for the past 2 months or so, it seems it may be true as an announcement is due out tomorrow from the BBC Radio 2 morning show. 
Read more about it here, and of course no Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett to join the reunion, regardless I'm in if they come to the US.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 01:57
I should probably make the effort, but I'll see how much the tickets are. The last time they played in the UK (2007) the tickets were far too expensive to justify going to watch them play mostly post Duke material.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 02:15
I will almost certainly be giving this a miss.
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 04:54

Just another tour, possibly followed by another live CD/DVD? Meh...

But if they record a new studio album? Now that would be interesting! Of course, we cannot expect a return to Selling England by the Pound, but perhaps a return to the sound and approach of And Then There Were Three and Duke? Perhaps with a guest appearance by Hackett? Smile

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - March 04 2020 at 04:55
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 05:54
It’s confirmed now, too bad there’s no chance of me going across the pond to see them
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 06:56
It looks like it's only in the UK so far and it's being called "The Last Domino?" tour. Phil's son Nic is on the drums. No mention of Chester Thompson, so the dual drums will be absent. I certainly won't be flying to the UK to see this, but if videos that show up on YouTube are good, I might consider a DVD if they release one.

Otherwise, I agree that a studio album would have been more interesting.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 07:05
They got together for a basketball game or something like that. Smile
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 07:33
I think I'd rather see Steve Hackett performing Seconds Out.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 07:45
it's a testament to how close they are as friends which is so unusual with these old super bands who more than likely can't stand to be in the same room together (Yes). Having said that, if you have seen any of the Phil Collins shows this past year--its disturbing to see him and the shape he's in. And its one thing to be an old man in ill health and sing Against all odds but how you going to do the end of Musical Box or even Mama?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 08:00
I’d love to see this...but am certainly not crossing an ocean to go.
Personally I’m fairly positive about Collins Jr. on drums. Anybody who has heard him on the Sound Of Contact debut will know that the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. He genuinely sounds like his father in that tight n sloppy way that one usually has to trawl through old 60s and 70s albums to hear. I imagine he will fit in Genesis perfectly.
I hope daddy-o gets his mojo back. The recent pictures I’ve seen of him do not look good...sorta like Captain Picard’s long lost brother..with a massive hangover.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 09:28
No thanks, I'll continue to see Hackett 2-3 times per year as I've been doing for the past decade.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I should probably make the effort, but I'll see how much the tickets are. The last time they played in the UK (2007) the tickets were far too expensive to justify going to watch them play mostly post Duke material.

Well I feel ya, but if this truly is The Last Domino, I would go. Now I very much doubt I'm gonna jump on a plane and cross the pond. Based on these UK dates, I suspect a US tour would kinda be the same so I might have to fly to say LA to see them.

A tour makes total sense from a money point, a new album would be great for sure, but new albums don't make a lot of money where they can cash in huge on a blockbuster tour.
Klobb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 10:28
Phil's first Not Dead Yet tour was UK only at first, then he went elsewhere after it was successful. I'd expect the same to happen here. Genesis are the only band I'd ever consider crossing the pond to see, so if we're nearing the end of the tour and there's no indication of them coming stateside, then I might crack and break the bank to travel.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 10:36
I am sort of torn about this.

I absolutely love Genesis, and those who know me, and have read my reviews, will know that I found a huge amount to enjoy in the three man band.

I have seen them live on a few occasions, including the Milton Keynes gig with Gabriel.

I would really like to see Hackett do his stuff live, but I don’t. The reason? Simply because I really do not like Nad Sylvan’s vocals. Genesis were a quintessential English band, and listening to Sylvan in his Swedish voice simply grates with me, I am afraid.

Also, I want to know what format the three man tour will take. I thought the 2007 tour was marvellous, a huge celebration of a fantastic band, with Phil on top form. Looking at him now, though, by God he looks old, and sounds it too. I absolutely do not want to see an acoustic effort. Part of the thrill of old was the dual drumming with Chester, and we won’t have that now. Can Phil really do a full rock gig?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:09
Is anybody really interested in hearing Invisible Touch by a bunch of old men? LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I am sort of torn about this.

I absolutely love Genesis, and those who know me, and have read my reviews, will know that I found a huge amount to enjoy in the three man band.

I have seen them live on a few occasions, including the Milton Keynes gig with Gabriel.

I would really like to see Hackett do his stuff live, but I don’t. The reason? Simply because I really do not like Nad Sylvan’s vocals. Genesis were a quintessential English band, and listening to Sylvan in his Swedish voice simply grates with me, I am afraid.

Also, I want to know what format the three man tour will take. I thought the 2007 tour was marvellous, a huge celebration of a fantastic band, with Phil on top form. Looking at him now, though, by God he looks old, and sounds it too. I absolutely do not want to see an acoustic effort. Part of the thrill of old was the dual drumming with Chester, and we won’t have that now. Can Phil really do a full rock gig?

Lazy we are so in sync with Hackett, he comes to Seattle every tour and I really want to go everytime but yes the Nad vocals are polarizing to me also. I've tried to watch the youtube stuff but alas, can't get into it. Eventually I may go........

The Genesis lineup will include Phil's son Nic on drums and Daryl Stuermer......Can Phil do a full rock gig?? His solo tour recently he was sitting most of the time....Maybe Phil has been doing PT to help with his nerve damage.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 11:25
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Is anybody really interested in hearing Invisible Touch by a bunch of old men? LOL

I'm in ......LOLClap
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I think I'd rather see Steve Hackett performing Seconds Out.

Totally agree with this. I live too far away from any place Genesis ever dreamed of visiting on tour, so it's impossible they would do it now, but I'd rather see Nad Sylvan's antics than poor Phil Collins pathetic attempt on hiding his deteriorated voice. And no Daryl Stuermer will ever compensate for not having Steve Hackett on a reunion, even if he played on Genesis for a longer time than Steve.

I've said it before: Steve Hackett does more justice to Genesis than Genesis itself
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 12:51
I don't think I would be much interested to see them. Without Gabriel and/or Hackett, will be mostly their pop material, that never did much for me.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2020 at 16:55
Steve Hackett has been keeping the Genesis flame alight for years now..... That's the Genesis I love - but if the 80s pop of Phil, Tony and Mike do it for you, good luck to you. The tickets will sell out quick enough without needing me.

I don't have a problem with Nad Sylvan's vocals - they capture a Gabriel/Collins mixed vibe, but are sufficiently individual not to become a direct copy of the classic era. Steve's current touring band are one of the tightest outfits I've ever seen, and Craig Blundell on drums has been a revelation.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>